Redesigning the XP Welcome Screen

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Redesigning the XP Welcome Screen

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

After thinking for a while, it seems the Windows XP Welcome screen is a big lost opportunity. The Welcome screen could have been an excellent productivity feature for a lot of people, but Microsoft seemed to do nothing with it.

So, I decided to spend some time redesigning the Welcome screen. I played around for a while in Fireworks to create what I think is The Ultimate Redesigned XP Welcome Screen. Here's my really rough mockup:

The features in mine:
1. A clock in the corner. It would be so good if this were possible. It seems to be, it worked in Longhorn.
2. Customisable background: it should be partially transparent above the default logon desktop, so you can change it more easily.
3. Not just Email: Icons are provided to allow for different apps to show new or updated data on the Welcome screen. Here I put an icon for mail, and an icon for IM.
4. Status icons: A bit like the system tray, but accessible on the logon screen.
5. A Volume Control: how many times have you sat back down at your computer, and logged back on, only to have to hear that annoying logon noise?
6. Network/battery status: You shouldn't have to log in to check how much battery you have, right? Or whether your network is still working...

I'd love to be able to build something like this, but I just don't think it's possible. Meh, tis fun to dream .. and make UI designs...
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

I think the clock and background are possible not sure about the otherthings.

Maybe make 2 clocks, 12 hour and 24 hour.

But looks great

longview

Post by longview »

This is a very good design, makes me wish Microsoft would do this.
It reminds me of the main screen on the HTC Touch interface (On Mobile 6).

If you could reverse engineer the code that controls the logon screen it could be possible, but extremely hard work as you would probably need to reimplement parts of the Windows security system...

Still, your design is excellent.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

Peteski

Post by Peteski »

i doubt that the vast majority of it is possible without some serious decompiling or the use of another logon entirely. however i would love to see this complete, especially the time in the top right.

a third party option may be possible though. some time ago i heard that there was one that you coded the logonscreens in flash for. whether thats still around or even a viable alternative i don't know.

Andy
Administrator

Re: Redesigning the XP Welcome Screen

Post by Andy »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote: The features in mine:
1. A clock in the corner. It would be so good if this were possible. It seems to be, it worked in Longhorn.
2. Customisable background: it should be partially transparent above the default logon desktop, so you can change it more easily.
3. Not just Email: Icons are provided to allow for different apps to show new or updated data on the Welcome screen. Here I put an icon for mail, and an icon for IM.
4. Status icons: A bit like the system tray, but accessible on the logon screen.
5. A Volume Control: how many times have you sat back down at your computer, and logged back on, only to have to hear that annoying logon noise?
6. Network/battery status: You shouldn't have to log in to check how much battery you have, right? Or whether your network is still working...
I would like all of these as well except number 3. Applications should only be accessible when logged on as it could pose a security risk.

As for 5, turn the speakers off Seriously, good feature, because the function keys for sound on laptops don't work when on the logon screen.

Beta Freak

Post by Beta Freak »

That looks really good, nice design.

longview

Post by longview »

Andy wrote:I would like all of these as well except number 3. Applications should only be accessible when logged on as it could pose a security risk.
This could be provided using a secure API, programs could just tell the login app that it has 3 messages etc.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

i REALLY like the clock feature, i cant see why its not do-able, maybe you could talk to some of the guys at deviantart, they do this sort of stuff or make a post at msfn.

rififi

Post by rififi »

Andy wrote:As for 5, turn the speakers off Seriously, good feature, because the function keys for sound on laptops don't work when on the logon screen.
A small addition

The sound keys of some laptops directly control the hardware. That's usefull, because you don't need to install any driver for them to work, and it works on all operating systems and at every instant, including the Windows Logon screen...
You can still install a driver to get the On Screen Display, but basic functionnality will work even without it.
That's the same thing for the LCD backlight intensity.

People who already had one in their hands will probably understand from which brand I speak about.

Rififi

Rob

change your login screen

Post by Rob »

you can change your login screen whit logonstudio from stardock and it is freeware

Link:
http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/

Daniel

Re: change your login screen

Post by Daniel »

Rob wrote:you can change your login screen whit logonstudio from stardock and it is freeware

Link:
http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/
But he would like to add things like a clock and with LogonStudio you can't do this.

thenico

Post by thenico »

You can remplace logonui.exe by any win32 apps but this application cannot start any other process (quota ? in AUTORITHY NT\SYSTEM ?).
I think they are many undocumented API call to do at logon ...

EDIT: If Windows cannot start logonui.exe, it fall back to the classic logon.
So you can play

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Hmm ... I wonder if I disassembled logonui.exe, and found out what apis it called, I could create a clone? In that case I could possibly make these features work...

But, gotta learn C++ first...
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

maybe logon loader might help, http://www.milnersolutions.com/logonloader/ or screenbooty: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-En ... ooty.shtml

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

betaluva wrote:maybe logon loader might help, http://www.milnersolutions.com/logonloader/
The link does not work for me.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

well it works for me? Image

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

now it works for me too, but veery slow ...