Cortana in Windows 9

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
AlexN
Donator

Cortana in Windows 9

Post by AlexN »

...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323

MrFreeman

Re: Cortana in Windows 9

Post by MrFreeman »

Is there a real reason they have to have it? Talking to a computer definitely will make you look like an idiot.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

Nightsteed
Donator

Post by Nightsteed »

And how is that different to talking to your phone?

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

MrFreeman wrote:Is there a real reason they have to have it? Talking to a computer definitely will make you look like an idiot.
How? On Windows Phone it is working very well , and is comparable to Google Now and Siri , so why not port it over to Windows? This will enable the millions of Windows users to have their talking assistant on the laptop and can give it another edge over Mac OSX and Linux.(Am I wrong?)

Maza

Post by Maza »

MrFreeman wrote:Is there a real reason they have to have it? Talking to a computer definitely will make you look like an idiot.
Depending on the person, dictating to a computer can often be faster than typing.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I can also see this as a potential accessibility feature for disabled people etc.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Nightsteed wrote:And how is that different to talking to your phone?
How can I talk to something I don't have.

EDIT: I understand having it as a tool for disabled people, but I don't think a blind person can accurately tell if Cortana typed something correctly or not. but then again I don't understand how they're supposed to see the screen in the first place.

lemacx

Post by lemacx »

Well I think it's a convenience-feature rather than something for productive work - same as in phones nowadays. I would never write my SMS or call somebody with Cortana under normal circumstances, simply because im still faster with old-fashioned typing BUT there are indeed situations, where its easier to tell your phone what to do (in a car while driving or something like that).

So a use-case for Cortana on a PC i could imagine is to be something like a remote control. Imagine sitting on your couch, your computer is a few meters away from you. You listen to music via the PC and you can control it completely via voice like (next song, stop, volume up/down or play playlistXY). The same goes with movies or informations, when connected to a tv for example.

For the OS itself, i see the possibilities rather limited, but with integration in Third-Party-Programs, this could become a really cool feature.

Maza

Post by Maza »

MrFreeman wrote:
Nightsteed wrote:And how is that different to talking to your phone?
How can I talk to something I don't have.

EDIT: I understand having it as a tool for disabled people, but I don't think a blind person can accurately tell if Cortana typed something correctly or not. but then again I don't understand how they're supposed to see the screen in the first place.
Blindness is not the only disability that can affect someone. I don't understand why you (apparently) think it is.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Maza wrote:Blindness is not the only disability that can affect someone. I don't understand why you (apparently) think it is.
I know it's not. Did I say that blindness was the only disability? No I did not.

Maza

Post by Maza »

MrFreeman wrote:
Maza wrote:Blindness is not the only disability that can affect someone. I don't understand why you (apparently) think it is.
I know it's not. Did I say that blindness was the only disability? No I did not.
You implied it.
MrFreeman wrote:EDIT: I understand having it as a tool for disabled people, but I don't think a blind person can accurately tell if Cortana typed something correctly or not. but then again I don't understand how they're supposed to see the screen in the first place.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

For what its worth, with Cortana on the phone, you can type natural language sentences and it will parse them just as it would speech input. It still has its uses even without the speech input, such as setting a reminder for events (ie, when you call someone, when you arrive somewhere, etc).

Also, with Cortana's speech for a blind person, when combined with Narrator on Windows Phone, I believe it'll read it back to you what it thinks it heard and then ask you to confirm any action based on that input.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Maza wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:
You implied it.
MrFreeman wrote:EDIT: I understand having it as a tool for disabled people, but I don't think a blind person can accurately tell if Cortana typed something correctly or not. but then again I don't understand how they're supposed to see the screen in the first place.
Just because I used one disability as an example does not mean I implied that it was the only one.

Anyways this is clearly off-topic.

nickbouwhuis
Donator

Post by nickbouwhuis »

Well, windows had voice control in Vista. Would be nice to see it being revamped in Windows 9.

john11
Donator

Post by john11 »

Cortana isn't just for speech input. Having Cortana on a computer has the benefit of everything being synchronised. So when you set a reminder in Cortana you can get it on your desktop as well, maybe you can check your text messages using your PC etc.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

I am just saying it now, I have no use for Cortana.

EDIT: When windows 10 comes out, I would like to see somebody making a Cortana Removal tool.

Dahaka

Post by Dahaka »

MrFreeman wrote:I am just saying it now, I have no use for Cortana.
Cortana will likely be a Windows 10 component that you may choose to ignore. Some people may find it interesting though.
Like others said already - it may be very useful to people who have some issues and cannot type.

TaffPlaysYT

Post by TaffPlaysYT »

When Windows 10 comes out, I hope that cortana also comes out for people outside of the US, as Cortana plays a big part in Windows 10