Windows XP Welcome Screen glitch

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
tariqm

Windows XP Welcome Screen glitch

Post by tariqm »

The following image is what I'm talking about:

When I woke up my XP computer from Standby, I saw a glitch when I got taken back to the Welcome screen. Instead of "To begin, click your user name", I got "Preparing to stand by...". It's pretty common, huh?
     Image     Gotta Catch 'em All?! We got 'em all!

Finding many rare pieces of software from my collection and rare valuables on the web and uploading 'em all to BA's FTP!

mohammedroxx3

Re: Windows XP Welcome Screen glitch

Post by mohammedroxx3 »

Out of curiosity, what edition of Windows XP is this and what service pack? Also, is it 32 or 64 bit?

I honestly don't know if this is even common or not. I've never heard of this glitch and I've never gotten this myself before. :P

tariqm

Post by tariqm »

mohammedroxx3 wrote:Out of curiosity, what edition of Windows XP is this and what service pack? Also, is it 32 or 64 bit?

I honestly don't know if this is even common or not. I've never heard of this glitch and I've never gotten this myself before. :P
The screenshot in the first post was from Windows XP Home Edition SP0 32-bit preinstalled by HP.

Finding many rare pieces of software from my collection and rare valuables on the web and uploading 'em all to BA's FTP!

mohammedroxx3

Post by mohammedroxx3 »

tariqm wrote:
mohammedroxx3 wrote:Out of curiosity, what edition of Windows XP is this and what service pack? Also, is it 32 or 64 bit?

The screenshot in the first post was from Windows XP Home Edition SP0 32-bit preinstalled by HP.
I think that might be the reason this glitch occurred. Maybe that glitch was fixed in SP1 (if not, then SP2 or SP3).

tariqm

Post by tariqm »

mohammedroxx3 wrote:
tariqm wrote:

I think that might be the reason this glitch occurred. Maybe that glitch was fixed in SP1 (if not, then SP2 or SP3).
The same glitch occurred in SP1.

Win7

Post by Win7 »

Then, the bug must have been fixed in SP2, because I had on a desktop computer, for nearly 6 years, Windows XP SP2, and I've never noticed this glitch.

Win7

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Win7 wrote:Then, the bug must have been fixed in SP2, because I had on a desktop computer, for nearly 6 years, Windows XP SP2, and I've never noticed this glitch.

Win7
Just because you never got this doesn't mean they actually fixed it. We don't know what triggers the glitch, so it's hard to determine when it was fixed (if ever).
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Try a XP debug/checked build to find the reason.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ovctvct wrote:Try a XP debug/checked build to find the reason.
No offence intended, but I seriously doubt the OP has any real knowledge about debugging.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Ahmed Jebara
Donator

Post by Ahmed Jebara »

Why would you think a debug build will help you in achieving the reason?

The debug builds have reduced compiler optimizations, making it unusable for everything a retail/free build can run. Basically it'll help mainly in debugging errors by tracing the error and showing up more information about the error into debugging console (i.e. windbg for example).

If you need to know where a function lies in, or a name of a variable, that's what symbols are for. There is symbols for both check/debug and free builds which will help you identify the name of procedure you broke into/errored at. However for that case, probably it's more of an event that isn't triggered to update that label after the wake-up, and was probably fixed in next SPs of XP.
%1

mallard

Post by mallard »

It could just be a race condition between the "update the message" code and the "perform stand by" code. i.e. the system suspends so quickly that the message isn't updated before it does, then, when the system is resumed, the "update message" procedure is also resumed and completes, leading to this odd visual bug.