Microsoft Internet of Things Dev Kit

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
compgeke
Donator

Microsoft Internet of Things Dev Kit

Post by compgeke »

A few days ago I received an email saying my kit had been shipped, a bit surprising as I signed up a few days after it started and I seem to be one of the first to receive one. After some FedEx troubles I managed to get it today.

Anyways, the kit is a nice starting place for using the device itself. Inside the box you find:
A Galileo itself
A Trendnet TU2-ET100 USB to Ethernet adapter (explanation here)
A 16 GB Sandisk Ultra Plus Micro SD card
A single green LED light
and a Cables 2 Go 3' CAT 5E cable.

The Galileo itself comes in retail packaging, nothing special except a sticker on the back of it.

And inside the packaging is your standard power cord, "Don't be stupid with the power cord" and board itself.

I haven't played with it much but I'll probably post some images and screenshots later.

giantsteen
Donator

Re: Microsoft Internet of Things Dev Kit

Post by giantsteen »

I signed up for one of these and I don't understand why I never got one.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

If you read the updates on the Galileo site, you'd know that A) They're sending them out in batches, so just because you haven't received one doesn't mean you'll never receive one; and B) They were massively oversubscribed so not everyone will receive one.

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

At the moment they're still shipping them out, albeit in small batches. I'm not sure how they're making their selections for who gets into which batch but I haven't heard of anyone out of the US getting one and some people who signed up before me haven't gotten one yet.

Anyways, I've been playing around with it doing nothing useful. It seems they didn't lock out running standard win32 CLI programs (like the bochs disk image creation tool) so those run fine. DOS programs on the other hand don't run at all.

Anyways, here's some screenshots of stock stuffs.

When installing the IoT dev program from the connect site it adds a couple things. First off is an addition to Visual Studio to make a "Windows for IoT" program. Basically it's the way to program with the arduino-type code.

It also adds a program called "Galileo Watcher". It supports multiple devices and shows the basic info. Right clicking lets you chose some different options that are actually useful.

It also has a webserver running on it by default.

Webserver has a basic task list.

A broken file list.

And some basic memory info.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow, gotta be up in 5 hours or so at this point.