[Offer] Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Dell OEM

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
Lluixhi

[Offer] Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Dell OEM

Post by Lluixhi »

Windows XP end of support is coming, and when that date arrives, I have a Dell OEM of Windows XP SP2 for you guys.
*I'm not going to upload this before then because it will otherwise be considered warez*

It's meant for Dell Dimension 3000/4000 computers (I believe), and on those computers doesn't need activation (I tested it on non-dell computers and it required an activation code, but that might have been a fluke) -- I'm not sure what it'll do on newer Dell computers.

mycomputerhelp

Re: [Offer] Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Dell OEM

Post by mycomputerhelp »

By the looks of things, I think we have a massive horde of XP images coming along. The amount of OEM discs, versions, foreign releases etc. just shows you how many there's going to be. You might as well add to it though... Upload it at the end of support. Seems interesting; this could be a good copy if anyone has a Dimension without a visible COA...

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You can upload it to the FTP now as well, it won't be released however until it's abandonware. And please provide a proper disc scan along with it.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

The only difference between these discs and standard OEM discs are the OEMBIOS.* files, and whatever setupp.ini modifications are needed to identify it as a royalty OEM build. I spent many hours creating my own over the years while slipstreaming updates. This way, when you install the OS on Dell hardware, it will auto-activate using the Royalty OEM key, instead of the key on the side of the computer.

Nowadays, I use a Windows Deployment Server with a sysprepped Windows XP image that includes all OEM's OEMBIOS files, so while the system is booting, it is able to read the bios and insert the appropriate files/key into the OS. It's a lot more lenient than these discs were, as most of the time they were tied to the hardware revision, in some way. I seem to recall that Dell has 2-3 different sets of OEMBIOS files, so even if you have this disc, it won't work in some other systems.
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

98fan

Post by 98fan »

These Dell Reinstallation CDs were updated as time went on, presumably as Dell released new computer models. I have a XP Pro SP2 CD similar to yours dated 2004 with a part number of P/N U5183.

I also have a Dell XP Pro SP3 CD dated 2009 P/N YH3KD.
Although both of these are in English both of them were manufactured in Malaysia.

I also have a CD-R copy of Dell XP Pro SP3 CD that is dated 2008 and if I can find the JPG of it I believe was made in the USA.

In general I have found the reinstallation CDs with the later dates are backwards compatible with older Dells provided they also originally shipped with XP. On the other hand, a CD manufactured in 2004 may ask you for a key if you install it on a Dell that was manufactured in 2006 or 2008.

Maverick1978

Post by Maverick1978 »

FWIW, I've used various Dell XP reinstallation CD's and have never been asked either for a CD key, nor did the installation require activation, regardless of the model or age of the Dell computer used.

Obviously YMMV, however I can state that the Dell models I used varied in production year from 2002 through 2011, and the CD's I've used included Win XP Home w/ SP2, Win XP Home w/ SP3, Win XP Pro with SP3, and even a Win 7 Home Premium.

(I can provide part numbers of the CD's later, if needed)

98fan

Post by 98fan »

Maverick1978 wrote:FWIW, I've used various Dell XP reinstallation CD's and have never been asked either for a CD key, nor did the installation require activation, regardless of the model or age of the Dell computer used.

Obviously YMMV, however I can state that the Dell models I used varied in production year from 2002 through 2011, and the CD's I've used included Win XP Home w/ SP2, Win XP Home w/ SP3, Win XP Pro with SP3, and even a Win 7 Home Premium.

(I can provide part numbers of the CD's later, if needed)
That's good news! I also have genuine Dell installation DVD's for Vista Business SP1 and Windows 7 Professional. Are you saying they will install on my Dell Dimension 3000 and work without the need to enter a key or be activated?

dudeluv

Post by dudeluv »

I have that same Dell OEM copy of Windows XP SP2 CD I had gotten about 5 years ago, I have installed it on a HP pc and it activated automatically, I have used that CD about 10x without any problems.
Vinnie
Windows 7 x64

tackhazard

Post by tackhazard »

Interesting, I had a copy just like that one, but it was bright red. It may have been SP1.
Sadly I've misplaced it.