Windows 8 connecting to windows 7 network drives fails

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
ReCreate

Windows 8 connecting to windows 7 network drives fails

Post by ReCreate »

For some reason, windows 8 WDP is not able to connect to network drives on other computers, when i try to view other computers on the network, none are found.
and when i try to connect directly it says
[Window Title]
Network Error

[Main Instruction]
Windows cannot access \\re07s

[Content]
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

[V] See details [Diagnose] [Cancel]

[Expanded Information]
Error code: 0x80004005
Unspecified error
(same occurs if i enter in direct IP of it via LAN or Hamachi)
Connecting from other computers on the network works just fine, via lan and hamachi. Is there any solution to this problem?
If anyone wishes to contact me i am still alive and well and can be reached via Telegram @ReTheKitty (yes i am a furry don't judge)

nickenzi
Donator

Re: Windows 8 connecting to windows 7 network drives fails

Post by nickenzi »

you may need to enable network discovery and/or set the network as private.
............................[url=gopher://nickmaslon.com]Visit my gopher site![/url]

ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

It got resolved after i rebooted the computer after re-adding "client for microsoft networks" and disabling ipv6(i don't use it yet anyways) as i heard that one of the two can resolve the issue. And it works now. Thanks anyways.
If anyone wishes to contact me i am still alive and well and can be reached via Telegram @ReTheKitty (yes i am a furry don't judge)

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Windows automatically creates a Homegroup.
You can't share files via \\<enter pc name here>\<share here> method, unless you leave the homegroup, otherwise you need to join the windows 8 homegroup.

Also you need to turn on printer/file sharing, if it isn't on.

@nickenzi
If you just installed it with network on it is automatically in the Private network (called Home Network).
If you installed your network drivers after it you will be asked which location (Home creates an homegroup, I prefer the Business one).