Windows XP Bliss Original Image

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
zamadatix
Donator

Windows XP Bliss Original Image

Post by zamadatix »

I did some hunting and was able to grab the original tiff image of the famous XP Bliss wallpaper (4510 x 3627, 49,107,640 bytes, tif). Unfortunately it is too big for the BA Uploader so if any of you are interested in that tiff pm me or something and ill email you it compressed in a 7zip .xz file (18.2mb).

I can however upload a 1920 x 1080, sinc lanczos scaled, cropped, color corrected, png that I use on my desktop as it is only 3,348,610 bytes.

EDIT: for anyone who wants to know what the place looks like now check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_(image)
Last edited by zamadatix on Tue May 10, 2011 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

ThePro

Re: Windows XP Bliss Original Image

Post by ThePro »

Cool.

Nice share!
Image < HAI.

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Wow. That is a LOT of detail. Hard to believe that was taken in 1996.
Goodbye.

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

Wow, that picture was taken literally 30 miles from where I live.

ThePro

Post by ThePro »

linuxlove wrote:Wow. That is a LOT of detail. Hard to believe that was taken in 1996.
4510x3627

I find it hard to believe there were cameras that could take pics with that res back then
Image < HAI.

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

Indeed. It was taken by a fijitsu camera if anyone wants to tackle trying to find out what kind of camera Charles O'Rear used to take it.

spunker88

Post by spunker88 »

ThePro wrote:
linuxlove wrote:Wow. That is a LOT of detail. Hard to believe that was taken in 1996.
4510x3627

I find it hard to believe there were cameras that could take pics with that res back then
Chances are it was taken using a high end film camera. Film can produce much better images than digital cameras if high enough quality equipment and film is used. Many movies are still shot using film.

Gamma

Post by Gamma »

I found it online like a year ago, it seems I have forgotten about it. Anyway, it's always good to share things like this! I thought, wow, why didn't they include the detail of this in the bliss wallpaper in xp? Obviously because they're stupid. (Just kidding) But I'm sure a lot of people liked that wallpaper, and they had a screen with much higher resolution than 800x600
Instagram: samxthomas
Flickr: https://www.flic.kr/lucemsequimur

pokeboy3124
Donator

Post by pokeboy3124 »

The wikipedia link is broken because the last ) is not recognized.
Also, congrats! And how is that file size so big?!

Last edited by No one on Zzz Dec 99, 3099 459:43 am, edited 0.1 times in total.

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

spunker88 wrote: Chances are it was taken using a high end film camera. Film can produce much better images than digital cameras if high enough quality equipment and film is used. Many movies are still shot using film.
Heh, in 1996 only the rich elites could afford digital cameras and I doubt they had such a high resolution as the original Bliss picture.
Goodbye.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

spunker88 wrote:
ThePro wrote:
4510x3627

Chances are it was taken using a high end film camera. Film can produce much better images than digital cameras if high enough quality equipment and film is used. Many movies are still shot using film.
Totally agree that film is much better than digital. The colour, dynamic range, contrast and sharpness is much better on film. Plus it's way cheaper for a better camera.

What a nice picture.

DMax

Post by DMax »

Nice detail. I always liked the bliss image because it looks exactly like a hill half a mile away from my house. Only difference is that the mountain on the right, there would be a forest and on top of the hill is a 6ft water tower and the line at the bottom of the hill has a fence running along it. otherwise, the hill itself and the grass at the bottom is geographically identical, even has the yellow flowers usually growing all over the place.

TomKTW

Post by TomKTW »

DMax wrote:Nice detail. I always liked the bliss image because it looks exactly like a hill half a mile away from my house. Only difference is that the mountain on the right, there would be a forest and on top of the hill is a 6ft water tower and the line at the bottom of the hill has a fence running along it. otherwise, the hill itself and the grass at the bottom is geographically identical, even has the yellow flowers usually growing all over the place.
Offtopic Comment
I would just like to see that, if you can, take a pic.

xpclient

Post by xpclient »

zamadatix, I want!!!!!!!!! Can you up the TIFF to some file sharing site?
xpclient
Huge Microsoft fan and old software collector since Windows 3.0 and MS-DOS :mrgreen:
I did the testing and feedback for Classic Shell.

dejco

Post by dejco »

can I get copy of it

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

zamadatix wrote:I did some hunting and was able to grab the original tiff image of the famous XP Bliss wallpaper (4510 x 3627, 49,107,640 bytes, tif). Unfortunately it is too big for the BA Uploader so if any of you are interested in that tiff pm me or something and ill email you it compressed in a 7zip .xz file (18.2mb).

I can however upload a 1920 x 1080, sinc lanczos scaled, cropped, color corrected, png that I use on my desktop as it is only 3,348,610 bytes.

EDIT: for anyone who wants to know what the place looks like now check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_(image)

DMax

Post by DMax »

TomKTW wrote:
DMax wrote:Nice detail. I always liked the bliss image because it looks exactly like a hill half a mile away from my house. Only difference is that the mountain on the right, there would be a forest and on top of the hill is a 6ft water tower and the line at the bottom of the hill has a fence running along it. otherwise, the hill itself and the grass at the bottom is geographically identical, even has the yellow flowers usually growing all over the place.
Offtopic Comment
I would just like to see that, if you can, take a pic.
I don't appear to have an image at the moment, if I can't find one, if I get a free (and dry) day, I'll go take a photo and upload it...I have an image from the other side of the hill so you can sort of see what I mean...I'll have to get one from the other side so you can see the resemblance to the bliss image, only major difference is that the hill is ploughed over at moment for potatos. Looks higher on top from the other side, like the bliss hill.

Edit: Found one, probably the only one I have at moment (to see it better I'll need to take one slightly right of this image and a bit closer to the hill) there was no fence here then:

longview

Post by longview »

I have it as a JPEG, externally hosted here:
http://longview.be/uploader/uploads/201 ... Mbliss.jpg

It's a bit compressed though.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X