Connect Compaq Armada M300 to Internet

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
laser23

Connect Compaq Armada M300 to Internet

Post by laser23 »

I recently purchased an armada m300 off a friend for $10 who was going to chuck it out anyway.
It has a Pentium 2 333mhz, 64mb ram, 6.4gb HDD, dial up, infrared and 1 USB 1.1 port. It has no floppy or cd drives as it is the size of a netbook.
The problem is that windows 98 SE won't recognise my 4gb datatraveler as it doesn't have generic USB drivers which are in ME or later.
I cannot connect it to the internet through my billion 7800n via the ethernet ports and do not have any other infrared devices.
Is there any way i can transfer data and files to the laptop?

linuxlove
Donator

Re: Connect Compaq Armada M300 to Internet

Post by linuxlove »

Install Windows 2000 and see where that gets you.
Goodbye.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

As for the ethernet connection, are you sure that all of the drivers are properly installed?

Anyway, I would first check to see if the ethernet drivers are properly installed, and if they appeared to be, it might also be possible to reinstall Windows over the current installation in case any files have become corrupted, or even to attempt to reinstall some of the drivers, that is, if you have access to any relevent media containing them (such as any floppy disks or CD-ROMs that came with your system).
Last edited by WinPC on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oasiz
Donator

Post by oasiz »

LPT cable and direct connection back in the 90's did wonders for me when I couldn't afford ethernet.
I suggest that you try that.

It's been quite long since I used it so I don't really remember that well how to set it up, but it should be rather easy under windows.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

Try Windows 2000, Windows ME, or Windows FLP.

thirty5tech

Post by thirty5tech »

Give this a tried, I have found this to work with Windows 98 when I was working on a old clients desktop ..

Source of information http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

USB flash drives and other USB mass storage based devices are becoming more and more common. Unfortunately, they often do not come with drivers because Windows Me, 2000, XP and Vista all come with generic drivers already installed. This way all you need to do is plug the drive in, Windows will recognise it and you will automatically see the drive in My Computer. Windows 98, especially in it's second edition (also known as Windows 98SE), handles USB fairly well, however there are no generic/universal mass storage device drivers preinstalled in the operating system, so you will need to install some additional drivers for it. Some manufacturers do however, provide the Windows 98 drivers on CD, others have them available to download, and others simply do not have them available at all.

Feel free to download from the following

Please click the link for your version of Windows 98:

Windows 98 First Edition (4.10.1998) = http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/d ... g-98FE.exe
Windows 98 Second Edition (4.10.2222) = http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/d ... usb33e.exe

Tried to visit this link on the laptop itself .

laser23

Post by laser23 »

I am sorry if you misunderstood me but firstly, the laptop has an ethernet port but though I do not have the drivers even if I search for new hardware it does not come up as an unknown device and there are no unknown devices in device manager, which makes me think that it is broken or faulty.
Secondly, I cannot install OS as there is no way the laptop can access an external storage device eg. cd or usb so I cannot install the OS or the generic USB drivers which already have, because i cannot transfer it to the laptop.
THE LAPTOP HAS NO FLOPPY, CD or DVD DRIVES and as for parallel, well i do not have any other computers to connect to.
Anyway I was wondering whether I could hook up the dial up port on the laptop to an adsl2+ port or to my router which has 4 ethernet ports so I can access the internet.
I appreciate your help

thirty5tech

Post by thirty5tech »

Sorry for the misunderstood information . Dumb ME.

Well this is what you could, Do you have access to another laptop with similar hard drive connection which of course will be IDE ?

IF yes, moved your old hard drive into that laptop, Then reinstall Windows into that laptop . . once it finish copying Windows and finish installing, try copying your Windows 98 content into that windows in a folder so it could use the Windows installation files if needed when requesting a CD . Then put the hard drive back to windows your old laptop .

Well sometimes Windows 98 will get a bit corrupt and the hardware will not show up on Windows Device manager . Maybe you get lucky and will show up after the new installation :)