NT 5.0 Build 1902 Installation

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
TheAdmiester

NT 5.0 Build 1902 Installation

Post by TheAdmiester »

I'm using Windows NT5.0.1902 and it's having a problem with installation. As soon as the setup gets to 'Setup is starting Windows NT', it hangs. No matter how long I'd leave it there'd be no change and no HDD activity.
It has the same issue on both VMWare player and VPC 2007.

I've read that it needs to be upgraded from NT4.0 but haven't got it to work when I capture the .iso within VPC, and I've also read that it's finicky with newer computers but I don't have anything older to test on, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

trustBA
Donator

Re: NT 5.0 Build 1902 Installation

Post by trustBA »

TheAdmiester wrote:I'm using Windows NT5.0.1902 and it's having a problem with installation. As soon as the setup gets to 'Setup is starting Windows NT', it hangs. No matter how long I'd leave it there'd be no change and no HDD activity.
It has the same issue on both VMWare player and VPC 2007.

I've read that it needs to be upgraded from NT4.0 but haven't got it to work when I capture the .iso within VPC, and I've also read that it's finicky with newer computers but I don't have anything older to test on, so I'm hoping that's not the case.
Please do not boot from CD, you must disable ACPI and you must boot them from Win98 bootdisk. Easy steps to install NT 1902.

1. Download the Win98 Bootdisk
2. Mount the bootdisk and NT 1902 and make sure the VM's BIOS has already disabled ACPI.
3. Partition your virtual hard disk (fdisk, format, and lock C:).
4. Run winnt.exe /b inside the <CDROM>:\i386 folder.
5. Follow the instructions.
Online periodically.
---
M$ Software Labels | OS Tester | Software Geek | Creative Agent!

Last edited by trustBA on Mon, 3rd Nov, 2013 6:99 am, edited 100 times in total.

TheAdmiester

Post by TheAdmiester »

I've already disabled ACPI, but I don't have 98 anywhere to test.
I think I have a file of it somewhere though, although I have a feeling that it won't work. I got the install menu to open on NT4.0 but it brought an error about one of the files on the i386 folder and closed, and it does that every time.

Right now I've settled for an earlier build from beta 1, but I'd still appreciate anything that could work. I have a feeling the .iso I'm using is faulty in some way though.

trustBA
Donator

Post by trustBA »

TheAdmiester wrote:I've already disabled ACPI, but I don't have 98 anywhere to test.
I think I have a file of it somewhere though, although I have a feeling that it won't work. I got the install menu to open on NT4.0 but it brought an error about one of the files on the i386 folder and closed, and it does that every time.

Right now I've settled for an earlier build from beta 1, but I'd still appreciate anything that could work. I have a feeling the .iso I'm using is faulty in some way though.
Try re-download them, but you need 10 posts to get to the FTP. Like I said before, please DO not boot from CD, use the DOS bootdisk and install.
Online periodically.
---
M$ Software Labels | OS Tester | Software Geek | Creative Agent!

Last edited by trustBA on Mon, 3rd Nov, 2013 6:99 am, edited 100 times in total.

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Goodbye.

TheAdmiester

Post by TheAdmiester »

Thanks for the suggestions, but considering the error, I'm going go assume it's a problem with the OS itself, and not the method.
I think what I'll do is wait until I have FTP access and install 1902 from here using your suggestions, considerin mine I'd downloaded from a YouTube vid.

gamelover101

Post by gamelover101 »

Offtopic Comment
I remember having the same problem with WIndows NT 3.51.
YouTube links aren't always as reliable. It's weird, the MCB says it installs without needing any fixes in VPC.

Maybe it is a corrupt file.
Oops!

TheAdmiester

Post by TheAdmiester »

Just a slight update:
Build 1906 has the same problem, that's also listed as being finicky on newer H/W.
Build 1586 (I think) seems to work fine, so I'm guessing that beta 2 altogether doesn't like the hardware I'm using. Beta 3 seems to have no problems also from what I've read, so unless there's a suggestion short of downgrading hardware I think I'll just stick with Betas 1 and 3.