Windows Home Server UI timeline

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Windows Home Server UI timeline

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

The guy who is in charge of UI design for Windows Home Server now has a blog, and is going to soon write a post about how the UI evolved, including prototype screenshots. This could be very interesting to see.
So over the next several weeks I’ll be sharing the complete history of the of the Windows Home Server console, including the first prototype UI from my first week almost two years ago. Watch this space, hopefully you will find the look back informative and insightful.
The blog is located here: http://www.antosdesign.com
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

spaceship9

Post by spaceship9 »

nice find!
I'll be reading it for sure
just curious, how did you find it?

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

The Windows Home Server blog (http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/) linked to this blog recently, so I decided to have a read through the guy's posts. It looks interesting.

It looks like today he posted screenshots of the first prototype:
pr0gram the pr0grammer

idontknow

Post by idontknow »

I know it is just a mockup, but really Penitum 5 Proccessor @5 Ghz? How long will it take for them to realease this? Aside from that it looks good.

Frozenport
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

idontknow wrote:but really Penitum 5 Proccessor @5 Ghz? How long will it take for them to realease this?
Probably shortly after the release of the 5 Ghz processor...
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

spaceship9

Post by spaceship9 »

i think it was started before intel stopped calling it pentium 1, 2, 3, 4, XX, and before dual core/quad core CPUs with high efficiency were invented...
obviously now it would be something like "Intel Quad duo @ 3.0 GHZ"
which whould be like...
4 dual core CPUs with 3 GHZ each...
thats like... 24GHZ?!

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

spaceship9 wrote:i think it was started before intel stopped calling it pentium 1, 2, 3, 4, XX, and before dual core/quad core CPUs with high efficiency were invented...
obviously now it would be something like "Intel Quad duo @ 3.0 GHZ"
which whould be like...
4 dual core CPUs with 3 GHZ each...
thats like... 24GHZ?!
You can't add up the individual core/processor frequencies. And why should a simple home server have 4 dual-core CPUs? I believe even two cores are overkill for a dedicated home file, maybe web server.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

No, having multi-cores would be pointless on something like that. Its only going to be doing one thing most of the time, and to a very limited group of people.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Im sure I could make use of 24GHz some how...

spaceship9

Post by spaceship9 »

lol ditto
my CPU is often near maxed out just doing "the normal" for me in linux...
though the only time i did max it out was when i tried to find pi to the 5 billionth place... CPU overheated, system crashes.... XD

anyway, i doubt 5 Ghz soon, considering efficiency is the word now, no frequency..

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Speaking of linux I just tried Ubuntu. Got bored after 30 mins after finding there were no drivers for my wifi card, and the only way to get it working was to use something where I have to type stuff into a command line for 30 mins. Not my idea of modern if you ask me. Why should I have use a shell/command line these days? I mean why can't linux be like windows and use a GUI for everything. OK, I accept some stuff is better in command line but installing a Wifi driver? Thats just crap. One more reason I hate linux. Windows for teh win.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Andy wrote:the only way to get it working was to use something where I have to type stuff into a command line for 30 mins. Not my idea of modern if you ask me.
LOL

From what I've heard WiFi support does tend to be very patchy on Linux. There does seem to be so much Ubuntu hype around at the moment though, what with the release of the new version. I'm still not tempted to try it though - I'm going to be formatting my PC in the next few weeks when I move over to Vista (I was going to do it a few days ago but found LaptopVideo2Go was down, and that is the best source of graphics drivers that actually work, so I'm waiting for it to come back), but the only OSes that will be going on are XP Pro and Vista Business

spaceship9

Post by spaceship9 »

Andy wrote:Speaking of linux I just tried Ubuntu. Got bored after 30 mins after finding there were no drivers for my wifi card, and the only way to get it working was to use something where I have to type stuff into a command line for 30 mins. Not my idea of modern if you ask me. Why should I have use a shell/command line these days? I mean why can't linux be like windows and use a GUI for everything. OK, I accept some stuff is better in command line but installing a Wifi driver? Thats just crap. One more reason I hate linux. Windows for teh win.
I HATE ubuntu
its a wanna be OS which spread selfpropoganda...
it SUX
you have to do everything via command prompt and it is very basic OS.
Try Fedora 6 or SuSE
Fedora 6 has out-of-the-box support for almost EVERYTHING, or at least generic support that can either suite you or last you long enough to get the real drivers.
plus ubuntu BLOWS as a server, BLOWS as an OS and generally sux.
Linux is a community OS, its open source and its free, so it is superior to windows in every possible way.
Fedora 6 has advanced stuff in its repository too...
and it uses way less the windows Vista, but has everything and more that vista does.
Windows had an advantage and it lost it.
and now its loosing even more...
microsoft=
Linux FTW!!!

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Can we end that fanboyism, please.

spaceship9

Post by spaceship9 »

The admin fanboyed Windows

So when do they plan to release this?
because i just installed in in vmware (pretty fast install.....) and it really wasn't what i was expecting..

include email

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

spaceship9 wrote:The admin fanboyed Windows
But Im the Admin, Im allowed to

Anyway I only said how much I hated linux because everything is so difficult to do. I prefer to stick with what I know, eg windows.

spaceship9

Post by spaceship9 »

true. once again, its opinion. Windows is easier to learn and thus use, however once you learn linux, which takes along time, it is much more powerful.
So, the tyrannical dictator of BA is above the low law of miserable plebeians, eh?
naw, i'm just kidding.

how recent is the Home Server in the BA archive?

include email

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

spaceship9 wrote:true. once again, its opinion. Windows is easier to learn and thus use, however once you learn linux, which takes along time, it is much more powerful.
So, the tyrannical dictator of BA is above the low law of miserable plebeians, eh?
Indeed
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I think it was the first release of Home Server.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yep, build 1301 to be exact.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Prototype 2 of 11
pr0gram the pr0grammer

empireum
Donator