Windows K7654 (Windoze 3.11)

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
os2fan2
Donator

Windows K7654 (Windoze 3.11)

Post by os2fan2 »

This is a picture of my ancient K7654 build of Windows 3.11.

Basically, ye take something like the six diskette array of Windows 3.11, and add and remove assorted things to the layout. Files are sourced from Windows 3.11, Windows for workgroups, Win-OS/2, AfterDark (font), Windows 3.0, Windows 3.10, and a few other places. For the rest, one simply replaces icons from different sources. Workplace for Windows provide a lot of the icons (esp WarpIcons.dll), as well as the wallpaper.

Ye can see that i have applied some sort of theming to it. The colours are that of OS/2 warp. There's a little door in the system menu (eg on Desktop Manager), and a paperclip on a document window (eg the open group).

Welcome points to a new help file, which actually contains useful information, like the progman DDE interface. Start Here, and the tutorial, point to a different page of the help file.

The second shot shows the Windoze group, which contains the stuff one does not normally use. DosPrmpt is the full-screen command processor. MsDos is out of Windows 3.0. MsEd is the Win95 dos editor, suitably hacked. WinDos is a windows command prompt, and TopDesk is a multi-desk app from the resource kit. Gonkulator is MsWindows Calculator, with a name change. There is a calculator from Win-OS/2, which does not suffer the 3.11-3.10=0.00 bug.

Running is winrun (borland app: runs windows apps from the dos command prompt), and drwatson 1.0 (from nt 4.0).

The dialog 'About Desktop Manager' is the win-os2 shell.dll, however, no real OS/2 proclaims itself to be version 3.11, so this is also interesting.

Last edited by os2fan2 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

os2fan2
Donator

Re: Windows K7654

Post by os2fan2 »

This shot shows Windoze startup logo (wallpaper = vgalogo.rle, centred).

The two icons left are 'desktop manager', which is the default Windows prompt (ie windows + prompt icon), and the second is dr watson.

This shows the help file. When you open it, it looks like the desktop manager. All of the icons are hotlinked to different help topics. All of the groups are well populated with links, tge winos2 and windoze groups are the default full install. The startup is mainly additional control panel applets, startup items, etc. Shell is a kind of what was used to write this.
  • Expand talks about the expand utility.
  • Ghost is not Norton's product, but how to set up multiple users using the same windows setup.
  • WinOldAp talks about what files to modify to change dos settings, including icons.
  • Requires is the PC-MAG utility, included in the distribution. It lists the DLL dependencies.
  • WinMsg loads a windows dialog box from the dos prompt.

os2fan2
Donator

Re: Windows K7654

Post by os2fan2 »

We installed it into VPC, because DOSW does not really work well.

This picture shows the control panel, with assorted applets open.
  • Clock launches the system clock. OS/2 stores its clock in the control panel.
  • Wallpaper selects a wallpaper, including a browse function.
  • Pif Editor is of course, the PIF Editor. The icon is straight Warp-3.
  • WinSetup is setup.
  • MoreControl is a kind of TweakUI for Windows 3.1.
Dosw is DOS Window. It usually loads 4dos, but because i don't have 4dos in this vm, it's edited to load command.com. The underlying DOS here is MS-DOS 6.30, my hack on 6,22. The command a the prompt is 'write', which has launched write.exe, the bottom open window.

Changing the wallpaper in windows too much tends to exhaust resources too fast, but here we go. Note that we are using VxDs here to get command.com, via winrun.386, to do the swaps.

WPS is a MSFT proggie, which shows what things etc are loaded. It's kind of like process explorer. SAW uses it to look at the loaded vxd's. It uses wps.vxd to get this sort of info. It's in the package, but no desktop icon is created. It hight wps.exe.

os2fan2
Donator

Re: Windows K7654 (Windoze 3.11)

Post by os2fan2 »

Here it's running in high colour. The driver is pretty standard Strio one at 800×600, 64k colours.

The open file is my computer read-me file of the same vintage. It shows what DOS driver versions up to 1995.

The Win9x and DOS 2000 files are the same as the last release, except Win-ME would have himem.sys as (3.99). The wallpaper is OS/2's 2.1 spiral.bmp. The program is IBM's xview.exe for windows 3.1, from the three-disk set DRK set (it's an OS/2 add for win31/ME) also called 'just add warp' .

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

wow! it looks like you have spent a lot of time customizing your copy of Windows 3.11, did you use it on a regular basis?
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

os2fan2, could you please tell me more about the WinDos "Windows command prompt" and how it works, and possibly even provide a screenshot? I'm asking because it sounds very interesting (it would seem to me that it was similar to the Command Prompt in Windows NT that has been included from Windows NT 3.1 to Windows 7, yet for Windows 3.x and not Windows NT).

rootbeerblue45
Donator

Post by rootbeerblue45 »

This look awesome.

Evil2828

Post by Evil2828 »

Download link?
I'd like something to test on bochs on my nokia E71 when Anotherguest ports it..
Or on dosbox for s60.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

Evil2828 wrote:Download link?
I'd like something to test on bochs on my nokia E71 when Anotherguest ports it..
Or on dosbox for s60.
you wouldnt be able to do much on a nokia E71? can you see the window controls?
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

WinDOS is a pretty ancient Windows 3.0 era demonstration of the command prompt. The original icon was replaced with one from Windows NT 4.0's progman.exe. Even Windows NT 3.1 comes with a powerful cmd.exe, it's just got the MSDOS5 icon attached. If you want to run the latest version of cmd.exe from win2k on some earlier version of Windows NT, there is always the later version of win95cmd.exe.

If ye want to see what a command prompt can do, you should look at eg tcmd or praxim. (which are not in K7654).

WinDOS was not very much used. Its main use was to hunt down tcmd and launch that. That it lives in the Windoze group, is hint enough that it was not regarded as anything exciting. It does not run script files, nor does it handle any other application in its command window.

This is Praxim. Praxim was a retail product that sort of went nowhere. Still, it's pretty advanced even by today's standards. The top line is a command line. Output is passed to windows, one can see the main window says K:\walls\K1994. A 'dir' window outputs to the window directly below it. One clicks on any file, and it opens by the standard winexec (identical to what a click on a file in explorer does).

Top right there is 'favorite tools'. This is created, using the size of the proggies in the groups as a guess. The groups icon opens a groups toolbox with the loaded groups. I've opened Win-OS/2 and Windoze here. The drives icon opens a box of drives: here a floppy, a disk, a network and a cdrom. We open the network drive and browse to the directory we need. This is what the browse icon does. The glasses in the browse icon (bottom right), gives options to sort (eg explorer = 'sort by'). the ( i ) icon gives a route to help.

Top we have MS-DOS executive. This is the Windows 3.0 shell. K:\SAVE is the share on the directory server. This is created in dos by fshare.exe and the VPC shared files routine. \WIN\UTIL is a current directory there. This is whare we have launched tcmd16 from.

This directory is full of odds and ends as well. Most of it was used. Not much of this sis modified, except we replace the icon in xview.exe
  • BTNMAKER is the proggie responsible for the door + paperclip. It edits the video driver
  • caveman.386 allows tcmd.exe to run DOS apps in its main window.
  • SAW.EXE is an early version of a popular shareware system analyser.
The active window is take command/16, from jpsoftware. The current version is freeware downloaded from their ftp site. ver and ver /r are internal commands, the \walls\K1994\ferns.bmp is a document, opened through winexec and then to "nnpaper %1 /t" to change the wallpaper - this has been done.

This is calmira. It's long out of use, because the PC-DOS 7 icon (the default generic DOS icon), appears for the Win31 era Amipro and Explorer. The k:\walls folder is open, with the Win95 wallpaper in view. We see that the icon here is the nnpaper.exe, the default open proggie. Sandstone.bmp and Black thatch have recieved 4dos descriptions, which is the source of their seemingly long file name. Apps points to a browser to the c:\ drive.

Windows history:

My first computer came in 1992 April, with Windows 3.0 installed, and upgraded to Windows 3.1. By 1994, we were starting to make edits to setup.inf, putting it into a directory c:\winos2, and with the setup dialog modified (eg Welcome to Windoze setup). Changing this dialog upsets OS/2 for Windows (it can't tell what sort of windows it is).

K7575 was the first heavy hack to fit onto eight diskettes, the betas being pink, blue, green etc. This was 1995.

K7654 comes from 1996, forms the basis of all builds. It's based on Windows 3.11, but with the ability to burn directly to cdrom in 1997, the network setup becomes favoured, to allow it to run straight off the cdrom. The default cdrom letter is S:. In the final diskette/cdrom layout, the diskette portion lives in a 14k zip file.

This was essentially personalised for the particular machine: the file contains the video and audio drivers for the computer it was built on (PEKO). It formed the basis of Windows installs right up to the point where peko collapsed.

K7718 (1997) is a mod over Windows 3.0, Word for Windows and Excel, fits on a disk, and amounts to a slip over existing code. Word and Excel's handy msapps become installed in the application folder eg \offis\msapps, rather than the the windows directory. Win30 was needed to test win30 help files. This is essentially a mix of Windows 3.0a and Win-OS/2 from OS/2 2.0. Experimental - some new files come for it.

K8668 (2006) is a partially aborted attempt at reduction of Wfw and PC-DOS 6.3 into a new modern bundle. The dos bit amounts to slipstreaming fixes, and to putting the full name into the DOS files (so you don't need to know the extentions in "expand -r dosfile.ex_ c:\dos".

K9080 is a revamp of K7654. A good number of changes are needed to both DOS and windows to get the horrors to work in a virtual machine, but the files are at hand. K7654 fails miserably without the fixes. Oh well. There are still too many mysteries as to why it works...
Last edited by os2fan2 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Looking at a comment in setup.inf, i found the build is K7872 (1998 Nov). This is somewhat later, and incorporates a number of features not found in K7654. In either case, both builds were built for a specific machine (later = PEKO), which had an ET4000 video and a SoundGalaxy soundcard. Networking was included but not installed.

SETUP.INF is well documented in the 3.1 resource kit, and examples of how to hack this likewise. The limitation is that the file must be less than a 512 ft of tape (65536 bytes). This seriously limits what can be included, and that one must remove stuff before including things. One removes more common stuff like the EGA, sound blaster, to make way for the system drivers.

A hack on setup.inf is usually some time to do, because it involves matching the lines of the various OEMSETUP.INF into setup.inf, and then testing the result. When one is going to balance the disks, (ie make sure that disk4 can actually contain the files accorded to it) this even take longer. K7654 was the one with the balanced disks. It was interesting in that its setup did not call for all of the disks under default setup (disk 3 wasn't called for).

Releases after K77xx were cut straight to cdrom, with no particular need to balance the disks. Still, more recent builds included additional files. Hacks were made to introduce icons The various files were updated in the releases.

We have converted setup.inf into a batch script, which makes including and excluding elements much easier. Also, one has fixed up the horrid setup bitmap 203 ('Windows Setup' in Arial Black, bold italic 48point), to 'Windoze Setup', in a similar font. Also, the latest version of winhelp (3.10.505), has the correct background (Win-OS/2 help).

MatthewH12

Post by MatthewH12 »

Any chance you can upload this? I'd really appreciate it! Having grown up with 3.x it's my favorite retro system to work with.

kite210

Post by kite210 »

This looks very interesting, As I've never seen such a modified Win 3.1 install.

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

This looks very nice, (specially the Windoze 3.11 splash) ¿Any intentions to upload this to any server?

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

There is plan to resume work on this Windoze 3.11, once visitors go and vpc2007 arrives (it's on Win 2000, but i haven't set up any things yet, since there has been a rebuild of disk hda. Still.

The thing shows several applications running that are not part of windoze 3.11, such as xview (displaying system read me), praxim, take command/16, and ms-dos 6.30 as well as the OS/2 backgrounds spiral.bmp (WinDOS shot) and pines.bmp (calmira shot). Everything else (including the extra control panels, the ability to start windows apps from DOS, and the 386-displayer is pretty much there.

The msdos 6.30 M631 will be included in the distro as a separate diskette. It's basically a diffs to 6.22 that is needed to change to an ms-dos 6.30, and then the specific version checks are disabled. You need this to do tricks like set the base dos version to 3.31 to install.

One of the troubles that we need to rectify before distribution is video drivers. Specifically, the door and paper clip in the top-left, as well as the exclaim, error, etc icons, live in the video drivers. The drivers included are for the hardware that it was built for (ET4000), but the modern standard is to replicate S3 drivers. Since setup.inf is pretty-much full now, we have to pull things before new video drivers can fill in the space. This is one of the main delays at the moment.

SETUP.INF has been now scripted with the ability to add-subtract drivers, and produce a brand new custom-drivers setup.inf, but this has only been tested as far as removing things. We needed to remove a bug in WEAVE.REX, which does the heavy work, so that blank lines would continue to be passed through. (this has been done).

Visitors, crimble (christmas for those who do not know this), and some heavy rebuilds have slowed things down somewhat. Still, it needs to be able to install on something like VPC with the correct audio and video drivers (soundblaster was dropped for soundgalaxy), but this is a matter of adding things into the setupinf.cmd file (the file, which weave extracts setup.inf.)

MS-DOS 6.30 will be a single-disk affair, you have to get the rest of it out of 6.22 if ye want it. It's needed because we need to be able to lie about true-version to get the thing to install. When the lie is on, you don't want DOS to crash about you! Still, both dos verions shown here do just this.

iTallya2011

Post by iTallya2011 »

What is this? I waht to know)

hb860
Donator

Post by hb860 »

iTallya2011, try to learn English. Then read what is it.
:(

iTallya2011

Post by iTallya2011 »

hb860, thanks))

MatthewH12

Post by MatthewH12 »

ne of the troubles that we need to rectify before distribution is video drivers. Specifically, the door and paper clip in the top-left, as well as the exclaim, error, etc icons, live in the video drivers.
What about using Makeover / ButtonMaker or are you using this already?

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Makeover came as a bookware limited edition in one of Livingstone's books. This is where the door and paperclip thing comes from too.

I've got one setup file ready, but this is the original PEKO tape. I'm trying to set up a tape for VPC at the moment. When this is done, this will be the release version.

MatthewH12

Post by MatthewH12 »

os2fan2 wrote:Makeover came as a bookware limited edition in one of Livingstone's books. This is where the door and paperclip thing comes from too.

I've got one setup file ready, but this is the original PEKO tape. I'm trying to set up a tape for VPC at the moment. When this is done, this will be the release version.
Speaking of those books, you dont happen to have a working copy of the floppies do you? Mines corrupted. I do have the full version of Makeover though.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

It is being revived with a different set of video drivers, and some extras. The video dirvers are more the stock standard.

Setup is now largely modified. The default directory is c:\windoze.

The background of the GUI now reads windoze. I seem to recall that the 'Windows setup' comes from setup.inf, and OS/2 for Windows reads that!

New applications include KBDVIEW (from the East European set), and a Windows 3.1 version of Musicbox.exe (seen as an icon in the Windoze group. KEYB is a sort of primitive OSK.EXE - a keyboard you can use with the mouse (yes, it is handy sometimes!).

Gonkulator and Calculator running side by side, with the calculation 3.11 - 3.10. Gonkulator is the Windows 3.1 calculator, modified to read gonkulator. Calculator comes from Win-OS/2 (eCS 2.2), is correct.

The wallpaper in the gonkulator shot is 'spots', which comes from a late Windows 3.1 beta. All of these bitmaps are included, as well as the elsewise unique 'balls.bmp' elsewise found in Windows NT 3.x. The bitmap 256color is replaced by 256small and 256large, which are the same thing in different sizes, and the variant tartan in the betas appear as tartan2.bmp. Additional wallpaper from the Korean and Japanese versions appear too.

There are plenty of new colour schemes too. Many home-grown and OS replicas from the net. The older ones follow it.

The help file is still there, as is topdesk. Topdesk allows you to have several desktops. Program Manager (called Desktop Manager, as in OS/2 1.3), is one screen to the left, and the two calculators are two screens to the right.

It comes with a file 'winicons.dll', which, like moricons, contains many icons.

These icons were found from various places. The tree icon at #31 is quite interesting as a group icon in Windows. The icon at 26 is used on my home links page, is something i crufted up. 27 is 26 with green changed to red.

The same file was used to store icons in Win95 days. Here are alternate recycle bin icons (empty starts at 61, full is 20 later). 66 and 86 are word processors "Multimate" and "Word for Windows". The latter is 'full of rubbish'.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Where does it all come from?
  • The base stock disks are Windows 3.11 (not workgroups).
  • The desktop EXE and HLP files, the TTF files, KBD*.DLL files and shell.dll, olesvr.dll, and olecli.dll, come from WinOS2.
  • Windows for Workgroups yields Winfile, Printman, and MSHearts, with their DLL and HLP files.
  • Windows 3.0 originally provides MSDOS and REVERSI and bitmaps. These now come from some Win31 betas.
  • Windows NT provides drwatson.exe
  • Windows 3.1 reskit provides topdesk and sysmeter
  • WDL provides the WPS program, and vshare.386
  • Windows 3.1 Multimedia Addon provides Musicbox, although Winmine and clock might be pried from here too.
  • A Borland compiler provides WinRun (which allows you to run Windows programs from the DOS prompt)
  • Task Manager is TMPlus, a shareware item from a magazine back in the '90's.
  • Lister comes from www.ghisler.com (windows commander)
  • KBDVIEW comes from the East european edition of Windows.
  • In control panel, ATM Fonts, Clock, Wallpaper, Regedit, and WinSetup are either NEVERnever applets, or modified versions thereof.
  • Control / MoreControl was originally released with Sloop Manager, but released separately.
  • WinDOS is a bookware thing not seen on the net. It's icon is modified.
  • Whelp.exe is from some compiler. It opens Windows help pages at a given page. "Start Here" and "Welcome" in theWin-OS/2 group use it.
A number of programs recieved patches, as follows
  • Progman: new icons, string-hack ('Desktop Manager'). The default icon is a 'Window over a windowed prompt'. In OS/2 3.x, the default icon for a windowed DOS or OS/2 session looks like this (see, eg Dosw's icon).
  • Pifedit: The new icon (seen in control panel shots), resembles a OS/2 3.x settings program modifying DOS.
  • WinDOS: fitted with a new icon (WinNT command prompt).
  • Gonkulator: MS Calculator renamed, and string hacks.
  • WinIcons: More Icons, progressively with icons being replaced.
  • Video drivers: The system and document icons (the two in the top left of windows), were modified by importing the 'dohicky.btn' using a makeover from Livingstone's "Windows 3.1 Secrets" book. dohicky.btn is not in the default makeover set.
  • Winver gets modifications to Windoze and Win-OS/2 occasionally. Also "Windoze for Warehouses"
  • Welcome: Written using Forehelp (a Windows 3.1 help editor).
  • IconSuck: Used to extract icons out of 32-bit programs (runs in Win95).
Remember: slow, dead slow, windoze.

James

Post by James »

Looks better than vanilla 3.11.

tjn

Post by tjn »

Your Customized Windows 3.11 is highly awesome and interesting, it has so many interesting stuff to see and use.