Builds of "Longhorn" with NGSCB?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Maza

Builds of "Longhorn" with NGSCB?

Post by Maza »

I am wondering which builds of "Longhorn" include components belonging to the Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (NGSCB)? To my knowledge, these components are included in the NGSCB folder of the Windows directory (i.e., located in C:\Windows\NGSCB).

As much as I would love to do this myself, I do not have the time or resources to check each build individually, so if a member happens to install a certain build(s) of "Longhorn" (or already has one installed), would the member please post his/her findings in this topic? Information such as the size of the files, location of the files, file version numbers, and the builds of "Longhorn" that the files were included (or introduced in) would be most appreciated.

"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

xdragonfly

Re: Builds of "Longhorn" with NGSCB?

Post by xdragonfly »

I believe it was introduced in 4015 and removed in 4074.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Yea, that's probably right. I just checked 4093 and 4074, they both dont seem to have a ngscb folder.

Maza

Post by Maza »

I can confirm that the components are not present in build 4074.idx02.040425-1535.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will give you credit in the NGSCB edit summary when the information is added to the BA wiki, or you could add this information to the BA wiki by yourself.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Well, one thing is for sure: you won't find any NGSCB in builds 4074+ as it got shelved as of May 2004.

Maza

Post by Maza »

LeoaprM95 wrote:Well, one thing is for sure: you won't find any NGSCB in builds 4074+ as it got shelved as of May 2004.
You are right that the technology probably wouldn't be in 4074 or above (though it didn't hurt to check that build), but this isn't due to the project being cancelled. Despite reports that claimed otherwise, Microsoft announced at WinHEC 2004 that it was only revisiting its plans for the platform, based on feedback from developers and ISV partners who stated that they did not want to rewrite their programs in order to benefit from the new functionality.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to have an NGSCB article on the BA wiki. There is a lot of misinformation about the platform. For example, the Wikipedia entry on NGSCB claims that the name Palladium was chosen for the platform because of "a mythical talisman that guaranteed the security of Troy." The term's origin is not related to a talisman.

Next-Generation Secure Computing Base
https://web.archive.org/web/20060827073 ... EC2004.ppt
ImageImage

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Since you posted this article I've become more interested in NGSCB. I think NGSCB was a rather controversal move of M$. Basically all of your private info was to be stored in a vault inside the pc secured by software aswell part of the CPU that had a unique crypto key.

I checked some sites about NGSCB and it looks like there was much debate about this feature as this 'secure computing' policy of M$ was maybe secure according to M$'s standards, but not per se for the end-user.

Planning on writing something about it for www.longhorn.us.to ^^

Maza

Post by Maza »

LeoaprM95 wrote:Since you posted this article I've become more interested in NGSCB. I think NGSCB was a rather controversal move of MS. Basically all of your private info was to be stored in a vault inside the pc secured by software aswell part of the CPU that had a unique crypto key.

I checked some sites about NGSCB and it looks like there was much debate about this feature as this 'secure computing' policy of MS was maybe secure according to MS's standards, but not per se for the end-user.

Planning on writing something about it for http://www.longhorn.us.to ^^
Unfortunately, NGSCB was very controversial, not only because of its features (one integral part of the platform was digital rights management technology)*, but also because of claims that were made after the technology was revealed. There were many who claimed that Microsoft or content providers could use it to determine the content allowed to run on personal computers, which would have the potential to stifle competition or censor information.

Would it help if I posted the text that I was writing for the BA wiki? I am going to post the information there after I finish the document anyway, so it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to use the information before then.

*Edit: It should be noted that I am not referring to DRM in the sense that it is traditionally understood. To me, DRM refers to more than copyright protection or a defense against piracy. DRM enforces policies related to the use of information. NGSCB's Sealed Storage feature is a perfect (and powerful!) example of this.
Last edited by Maza on Sat May 31, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Yeah, I also read something like that: it would make projects with GPL licensing almost impossible or so (such as open source, as they couldnt get proper security certificate). Would be cool if you posted here what you are writing. :)

Maza

Post by Maza »

LeoaprM95 wrote:Yeah, I also read something like that: it would make projects with GPL licensing almost impossible or so (such as open source, as they couldnt get proper security certificate). Would be cool if you posted here what you are writing. :)
My apologies for the delay.

This text is related only to the history of the platform. I had originally wanted to include all of the information about the platform within a single document, but I found that it was easier to work on a single detail. Do note that some of the text may look unprofessional, but this is one of the reasons why I am posting it on the forum - it is not ready for the BA wiki. Hopefully you or others will benefit from this.

I have omitted certain details from the text, including how development of the platform began, because there are (seemingly?) contradictory versions of the event.
Microsoft later filed a large number of patents related to the NGSCB platform and its components. Patents for a digital rights management operating system, loading and identifying a digital rights management operating system, key-based secure storage, and certificate based access control were filed on Jan 8, 1999. A method to authenticate an operating system based on its central processing unit was filed on March 10, 1999. Patents related to the secure execution of code and protection of code in memory were filed on April 6, 1999.

The development of Microsoft's digital rights management operating system, then a project maintained by the Microsoft Research division, was first reported by John Lettice of The Register on March 23, 2001. The Register would later report that Microsoft's patent for the operating system was granted on December 11, 2001.

The existence of the software platform was revealed by Steven Levy of Newsweek on June, 24, 2002. [Omit multiple references]

Levy stated that the platform would use public-key cryptography to authenticate and identify users, encrypt data to protect against unauthorized access, and use digital rights management technology to enforce access control of information. This combined functionality would allegedly prevent the proliferation of malicious software; a claim which Microsoft would later deny.

Information encrypted by the platform could be bound to a specific hardware and software configuration. The platform's computing agents, referred to internally as "My Man," would allow authorized users to securely distribute this information to other authorized users, machines, and services. In addition, the platform would allow content providers or users to set policies related to the usage of information. As examples, Levy stated that users would be able to send e-mail messages that could be accessed only by the intended recipient, or create Microsoft Word documents that could only be read a week after their creation date. To provide this functionality, the platform would require specially designed hardware components, including updated processors, motherboards, peripherals, and a new cryptographic coprocessor. NGSCB architect Brian Willman was quoted as saying that the technology would later be available for portable devices, such as telephones and wristwatches. Levy noted that, in the short term, the technology could be used by Microsoft to extend its personal computing monolopy.

Response to Levy's article was critically negative. John Lettice of The Register dismissed the idea that the platform was designed with security in mind and believed that it was the result of Microsoft's DRM operating system patent that was filed three years before. Richard Forno of The Register blamed Microsoft's past record with security for the majority of computer security issues, and suggested that the new architecture was unnecessary. Ross Anderson of Cambridge University released the first version of his TCPA / Palladium FAQ shortly after the revelation from Newsweek. In his assessment of the software platform, Anderson alleged that the technology would allow content providers to remotely validate software or data on personal computers to ensure that the content was legitimate, something which Anderson believed would allow information to be monitored or censored. Anderson would later claim that content protected by the platform would incorporate a form of "digital watermark" that would allow content providers to determine where the content originated and also prevent devices without an appropriate certificate from opening it. If a user were to circumvent this content protection, an NGSCB-capable application could detect that the data had been tampered with and remotely delete it (as well as all content associated with it). The tampered material would then be placed on a blacklist, which would be used to screen other files for certain criterion, such as the file's content, the application that had opened the file, or the serial number of the application that created it. Richard Stallman, creator of the GNU Project, expressed similar concerns, and labelled the initiative as "treacherous computing." Robert Cringely of PBS believed that Microsoft's alleged plans to replace the Transmission Control Protocol with a proprietary protocol would come to fruition with the NGSCB. Open source software advocate and computer programmer, Bruce Perens, believed that the platform was designed to prevent developers from writing open source software and would allow Microsoft to determine the software permitted to run on personal computers.

Less than three weeks before the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) of 2003, Microsoft's approach came under fire by two renowned cryptographers, Whitfield Diffie of Sun Microsystem Laboratories, and Ron Rivest, one of the designers of the Rivest-Shamir-Adleman (RSA) encryption algorithm, and founder of RSA security.
Whitfield Diffie admitted that an integrated security scheme was inevitable, but criticized Microsoft's approach with the NGSCB software platform because it was not designed to provide PC owners with the cryptographic keys used for its features. Diffie believed that this approach lent itself to market domination, lock out, and loss of personal computing control.
Ron Rivest stated that an adopter(s) of the technology would be "renting out a part of his PC to people he may not trust" and called for a broad public debate about the software platform.

In 2003, the German government expressed its concerns that the adoption of the technology would lead to higher computing costs and extend Microsoft's monopoly.

Big Brother Awards gave its Big Brother award to Microsoft in 2002 for the technology. The organization stated that Microsoft had twice been nominated for the award before - once for the online registration process of Windows 98, which was reported to have assigned users with a globally unique identification number; and another time for Windows XP with its product activation technology. The German computer magazine CHIP would later refer to Microsoft as "Big Brother." (CHIP Magazine, April 2004, p. 34-51)

===Name===
In Greek and Roman mythology, the term "palladium" refers to an object that the safety of a city or nation was believed to be dependent upon.

On January 24, 2003, Microsoft announced that "Palladium" had been renamed as the "Next-Generation Secure Computing Base." According to NGSCB product manager Mario Juarez, the new name was chosen not only to reflect Microsoft's commitment to the technology in the upcoming decade, but also to avoid any legal conflict with an unnamed company that had already acquired the rights to the Palladium name. Juarez acknowledged that the previous name had been a source of controversy, but denied that the decision was made by Microsoft in an attempt to deflect attention.

===Cancellation===
At WinHEC 2004, Microsoft announced that it would reconsider its plans for the platform, based on feedback from customers and ISV partners who stated that they did not want to rewrite their programs in order to benefit from its functionality. Although some reports stated that Microsoft planned to cancel the platform because of this, the company later reaffirmed its commitment to the technology.

At WinHEC 2005, Microsoft announced that its plans had been scaled back in order to ship the post-reset "Longhorn" operating system within a reasonable timeframe. Instead of providing a parallel environment, NGSCB would offer full volume encryption with a feature known as Secure Startup (later renamed as Bitlocker Drive Encryption). The company stated that it would deliver other aspects of its NGSCB vision at a later date.

In July 2008, Peter Biddle stated that negative perception was the main factor responsible for the cancellation of the architecture.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Offtopic Comment
Just a small advice, use pastebin for these long quotes :)

MouseOnMars

Post by MouseOnMars »

1. why should he
2. it ain't that long
3. its easier to read here than other pasting site

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

MouseOnMars wrote:1. why should he
2. it ain't that long
3. its easier to read here than other pasting site
It may not be that big on a regular desktop but it takes up a big chunk of space on mobile devices

Maza

Post by Maza »

Windows "Longhorn" build 4053.main.031022-1720 includes the NGSCB folder, subfolders and components. While I believe that the screenshot that I originally posted was of build 4053, I added the Description, File Version, and Product Version column headers in Windows Explorer so that the most important information would be included in these screenshots.

Unfortunately, while the folders are there in Windows "Longhorn" 4066.main.040226-1010, the components themselves are not. I am including screenshots of the empty directories because I do not want members to question whether or not they were checked.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

4015, 4029, 4033, 4039, 4042, 4051, 4053 all have it.

Maza

Post by Maza »

DiskingRound wrote:4015, 4029, 4033, 4039, 4042, 4051, 4053 all have it.
Thank you for replying, DiskingRound.

Would you mind posting screenshots of the NGSCB folder and components that are included in the builds that you listed? I'd like to have proof before adding this information to the wiki (we certainly don't need any more misinformation about the subject floating around).

ahthnew1

Post by ahthnew1 »

as user "maza" said, build 4053 contains this folder. I will try to search for other builds...

Maza

Post by Maza »

ahthnew1 wrote:as user "maza" said, build 4053 contains this folder. I will try to search for other builds...
Thank you, Ahthnew1.
I have tried to download other builds to check for the components, but I have recently been experiencing connectivity issues that prevent the builds from downloading completely.

Would you be willing to check builds before build 4015? DiskingRound suggests that 4015 is where the components originated.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

I have all longhorn builds at hand, so I checked most of them. I can't find any ngscb related files in build prior to 4039. I can confirm 4039, 4042, 4051 and 4053 all have it. Build after 4053 do not include this anymore. Since the file System.Security.TrustedPlatformServices.dll does have 6.0.4036 as fileversion I guess this is the build where at least this part of ngscb originates from. It's strange to see that in builds 4051 and 4053 the fileversion of the same file changed to 6.0.3252.1.

Maza

Post by Maza »

LeoaprM95 wrote:I have all longhorn builds at hand, so I checked most of them. I can't find any ngscb related files in build prior to 4039. I can confirm 4039, 4042, 4051 and 4053 all have it. Build after 4053 do not include this anymore. Since the file System.Security.TrustedPlatformServices.dll does have 6.0.4036 as fileversion I guess this is the build where at least this part of ngscb originates from. It's strange to see that in builds 4051 and 4053 the fileversion of the same file changed to 6.0.3252.1.
Thank you, LeoaprM95!

Would you be willing to provide screenshots of the components in the builds that you have installed? I am asking for screenshots because I want this information to be added to the BA wiki.

Maza

Post by Maza »

These documents do not warrant a new topic since this topic has always been dedicated to the research and development of the beloved NGSCB... I've not dumped all of these here in one place before, hopefully they are useful to whomever decides to read them.
Microsoft NGSCB Technical Documentation
A Technical Introduction to NGSCB (PPT)
Building a Secure Platform for Trusted Computing (DOC)
Hardware Platform for the Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (DOC)
Privacy Enhancements in the Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (DOC)
Secure User Authentication for NGSCB (DOC)
Security Model for the Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (DOC)
Trusted Computing Base and Software Authentication (DOC)

Microsoft NGSCB Website
Microsoft Shared Source Initiative Homepage (HTML)
The Next-Generation Secure Computing Base: An Overview (HTML)
The Next-Generation Secure Computing Base: Four Key Features (HTML)

Microsoft PressPass
Microsoft "Palladium" - A Business Overview (HTML)
Q&A: Microsoft Seeks Industry-Wide Collaboration for "Palladium" Initiative (HTML)
Trustworthy Computing From Fingertips to Eyeballs (HTML)

Microsoft Research
A Logical Account of NGSCB (PDF)
John Manferdelli: Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (PPT)
NGSCB: A Trusted Open System (PDF) (PDF link #2)

Microsoft TechNet
Microsoft Next-Generation Secure Computing Base Technical FAQ (HTML)

National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Microsoft “Palladium” (PDF)

PDC 2003
Next-Generation Secure Computing Base: Development Considerations for Nexus Computing Agents (HTML) (HTML link #2)
Next-Generation Secure Computing Base – Overview and Drilldown (PPT)

WinHEC 2001
Privacy, Security, and Content in Windows Platforms (PPT)

WinHEC 2003
At WinHEC 2003, Microsoft Discusses Details of Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (HTML)

WinHEC 2003 Self Extracting ZIP Archives (Contain PowerPoint Slides)
Building a Next-Generation Secure Computing Base PC (EXE)
Ecosystem and Opportunities with NGSCB (EXE)
Industry Perspectives on NGSCB (EXE)
Microsoft Directions on Security (EXE)
Platform Enhancements for Trustworthy Computing (EXE)
Security Model for NGSCB (EXE)
Technical Introduction to NGSCB (EXE)
Trusted Graphics and NGSCB (EXE)
User Authentication in NGSCB (EXE)

WinHEC 2004 PowerPoint Slides
Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (PPT)
Securing the Input Path on NGSCB Systems (PPT)
TPM 1.2 – Trusted Platform Module and its Use in NGSCB (PPT)
ImageImage

If you read the slide from WinHEC 2001, you will notice that it does not explicitly mention the NGSCB architecture. However, this document was written by the person who conceived of the architecture, Peter Biddle, and there is mention of a "Trusted Windows" (the first known mention of a "Trusted Windows" from Microsoft comes from a PowerPoint slide distributed in the late nineties, which I unfortunately do not have). The notion of a "Trusted Windows" perfectly describes NGSCB.

Later portions of the document from WinHEC 2001, although written by other employees (and admittedly about digital rights management), are similar with Microsoft's patents for a digital rights management operating system.

...While we're on the subject, if you decide to search for information about the aforementioned patents, you will find speculation that the patents were related to Microsoft's NGSCB. Butler Lampson, one of the designers of the NGSCB has written in his Curriculum Vitae that the DRM-OS patents were, in fact, for Microsoft's NGSCB (otherwise known as Palladium):
Palladium (1997-2003): With Paul England, John DeTreville, Bryan Willman, John Manferdelli and others, I designed the architecture for secure program authentication and execution on a machine that is simultaneously running an arbitrary operating system [U.S. patents 6,327,652 and 6,330,670].

Maza

Post by Maza »

For those interested, there is at least one more patent directly related to Microsoft's NGSCB. It is titled Projection of trustworthiness from a trusted environment to an untrusted environment and was filed on August 7, 2003. NGSCB is also explicitly mentioned in patents titled System and method for non-interactive human answerable challenges filed on December 1, 2003; Special-use heaps filed on April 30, 2004; Disaggregated secure execution environment filed on February 14, 2006 and Mobile wallet and digital payment filed on September 10, 2007.

Somewhat surprisingly, Microsoft refers to Trusted Platform Modules as "Palladium chips" in a patent titled Data Store Including a File Location Attribute filed in December, 2010.

One may ask "Why search for patents?" It is because patents provide invaluable insight into the history of a feature(s), and may also provide additional details which are not included in official documentation.

For example, Microsoft had filed patents in January 2005 for features which are now known as "Aero Snap" and "Aero Peek". The features as described in those patents offer more functionality than what was introduced in Windows 7.