Windows "Longhorn" / Windows Vista Build 5063

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Maza

Windows "Longhorn" / Windows Vista Build 5063

Post by Maza »

A cursory search had shown that this build is apparently not documented on the Internet (only images are available), so we are fortunate that these images are still available, otherwise the existence of this build might not be known.

Windows "Longhorn" Build 5063.vbl_ux_dev.050511-1730 was compiled prior to the official Beta 1 (Build 5112), but it is visually similar in many respects (including the grass wallpaper). There are many features in this build that are perhaps taken for granted nowadays, including the glass effects of Windows Aero, instant search on the Start menu, live icons, the details pane, and virtual folders. It was apparently demonstrated during the Windows Hardware and Driver Conference 2005.

The images that are being shared once again originate from Japanese sources.

Source: http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/348/348981/

Source: http://internet.watch.impress.co.jp/cda ... /7727.html

Sources: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0524/ms1.htm
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Jackdopp

Re: Windows "Longhorn" / Windows Vista Build 5063

Post by Jackdopp »

I hope this build gets leaked!

Maza

Post by Maza »

Jackdopp wrote:I hope this build gets leaked!
It does not look much different from 5112---I guess this would explain the lack of enthusiasm---but it would still be nice to have.

Raiker

Post by Raiker »

From this era, I'd love to see the original curved Sidebar and WMP gadget designed by The Skins Factory. Everything else have been already leaked in other builds.
Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi

Maza

Post by Maza »

Raiker wrote:From this era, I'd love to see the original curved Sidebar and WMP gadget designed by The Skins Factory. Everything else have been already leaked in other builds.
Everything else? Would you mind sharing some examples?

Raiker

Post by Raiker »

Maza wrote:
Raiker wrote:From this era, I'd love to see the original curved Sidebar and WMP gadget designed by The Skins Factory. Everything else have been already leaked in other builds.
Everything means... everything. I don't remember a single feature demonstrated during PDC 2005 (except those I mentioned) that didn't appear in later CTP builds. Even the Halos WPF demo app leaked some years ago, if I remember correctly.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

...didn't Microsoft release a Sidebar for 5219 or 5231 or something? Not sure if that was the curved one, but BetaArchive wiki certainly suggests that it is floating around out there...

Maza

Post by Maza »

Raiker wrote:
Maza wrote:
Everything means... everything. I don't remember a single feature demonstrated during PDC 2005 (except those I mentioned) that didn't appear in later CTP builds. Even the Halos WPF demo app leaked some years ago, if I remember correctly.
Everything is not an example. It doesn't really matter, I suppose, I was just curious.

Raiker

Post by Raiker »

Splitwirez wrote:...didn't Microsoft release a Sidebar for 5219 or 5231 or something? Not sure if that was the curved one, but BetaArchive wiki certainly suggests that it is floating around out there...
They did, but it wasn't curved and it was another version with another gadgets set.
Maza wrote:
Raiker wrote:
Maza wrote:
Everything is not an example. It doesn't really matter, I suppose, I was just curious.
Sidebar itself, some sample gadgets, DWM features (Flip and Flip 3D), Microsoft Max application, Halos demo. All this stuff was demonstrated during PDC 2005 first and appeared in later releases / leaks.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Raiker wrote:Sidebar itself, some sample gadgets, DWM features (Flip and Flip 3D), Microsoft Max application, Halos demo. All this stuff was demonstrated during PDC 2005 first and appeared in later releases / leaks.
I see. Thank you. It is rare to see someone show interest in post-reset applications / features.

Resident007

Re: Windows "Longhorn" / Windows Vista Build 5063i

Post by Resident007 »

It will be nice to have this build leaked, as well as 4044

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

It will? I believe the word you are looking for is "would".
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Maza

Post by Maza »

Wheatley wrote:It will? I believe the word you are looking for is "would".
That would be nice.

I am personally waiting for 5058/5060.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

Am I the only one who is kinda hoping for 5212, with that weird early start orb and all?

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

I am personally holding out for 4040.Lab04, if WhistlerInstalls decides to leak... pretty sure you know why. I also would like any build between 5000 and 5048, and perhaps 5212. Sadly the chance of any of these leaking soon is low.

Jackdopp

Post by Jackdopp »

DiskingRound wrote:I am personally holding out for 4040.Lab04, if WhistlerInstalls decides to leak... pretty sure you know why. I also would like any build between 5000 and 5048, and perhaps 5212. Sadly the chance of any of these leaking soon is low.
4040 would be awesome.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

Question...what's so special about build 4040?

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Splitwirez wrote:Question...what's so special about build 4040?
Well, supposedly, according to UXUnleaked, 4040 includes glass and would be based off of 4033 according to yourepicfailure. So if you copy the files (of Mil and resources of user32.dll or whatever else) from that build into 4033, you generate the higher possibility that it may work better to unlock glass than trying to use 4039 as your donor. (If that all makes sense...) But we don't have it and is unlikely to have for the moment.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

DiskingRound wrote:
Well, supposedly, according to UXUnleaked, 4040 includes glass and would be based off of 4033 according to yourepicfailure. So if you copy the files (of Mil and resources of user32.dll or whatever else) from that build into 4033, you generate the higher possibility that it may work better to unlock glass than trying to use 4039 as your donor. (If that all makes sense...) But we don't have it and is unlikely to have for the moment.
Oh...but what about 4042? After all, 4039 - 4053 all use theme services close enough to be cross-compatible, so... ._.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Splitwirez wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
Oh...but what about 4042? After all, 4039 - 4053 all use theme services close enough to be cross-compatible, so... ._.
If you're talking about 4042.main (unleaked), perhaps. But 4042.L6 and later have the Slate theme so I dont know.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

DiskingRound wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
If you're talking about 4042.main (unleaked), perhaps. But 4042.L6 and later have the Slate theme so I dont know.
No, I am stating that 4039's Plex works on 4042.lab06, 4051, and 4053, and 4053's Slate work on 4039, 4042.lab06, and 4051. Go ahead and try it, if you have any of those installed. To be fair, the Sidebar isn't too cooperative due to using resources from imageres.dll (which I've yet to try to modify), but otherwise they work fine.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

For the topic of the DCE:

Yes while some labs may have been holding off and using 4033's(and possibly later compiles) code for stability, doesn't mean its core code would undergo little change. For instance, as far as we know, lab04 could've take 4033 and gutted its mil engine for 4039's. This would mean it would not be compatible with the older one in 4033, forbidding the idea of copying over files from 4040. Not only that, but its shell may have been cleared up with more 4039ness as it appears to be at the level of functionality with 4039, with just 4033's browseui further forbidding copying.
We just don't know because we don't have this build with most of this being based on inferences on info available and discussion with Melcher. Best bet is to contact grabberslasher, he may have tested it and know much more.

On the topic of themes:

4042.main still uses 4033's theming engine or one based on 4039's. Same with 4040.lab04. So therefore its guts may not work with builds that have the v7 'modern' UI. Each longhorn build is unique in multitudes of ways from another.

4042.lab06 may not be newer than 4042.main. So, not all builds post 4042.lab06 may contain slate :D .

While 4039's plex can be used under 4042+, I still can't find a way to fix the shrunk title text:
Oddly enough, 4039's Luna theme can be used with a properly enlarged title, but its text color isn't on par. Indicating some sort of config issue with plex and its title. Changing anything under advanced appearance settings in desk.cpl does nothing.

And for splitwirez, this is the progress I've made with 4039izing 4042:
If I use 4039's sidebar:
The tiles don't work right.

But here's my 'in progress' of swapping 4042's resources:
Still haven't changed start button or taskbar. May just stick with 4039's sidebar and get the tiles working.
I have logonui changed as well.
----------------------------------------
Back to 5063, this is quite an amazing build. It has most of 5112's features, yet much earlier. This may have been the result of several labs having worked on Omega-13 before others, resulting in much more completeness early on.
This brings up the question: when the labs were bringing over Longhorn features to Omega-13, what did the UI look like? While it would be largely incomplete, it may look rather nice as they went through thinking of what to use.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

Yeah, that's what I meant - approximating 4040 by shuffling stuff around. Looks better than my old progress. Also I have a cleaned up version of 4039's Plex theme somewhere (fewer explorer visual misalignments and such), and Longhorn needs no UxTheme patch, so if you want that, I can get it to you by next Wednesday.

...also, I just remembered something interesting:
I am suddenly wondering if maybe MILExplorer (or atleast the effect it has on explorer windows) is older than previously thought? Between the mention of 4039.lab06 in the image's original filename (not preserved by the BA image uploader, ofc T____T ) and the unfinished-looking gameLibrary shown, I'm not certain this is just a concept image...

EDIT: Also, one time, I messed with 4039's DCE enough that an explorer window appeared, but only the frame displayed, not the client area. AND THE GLASS WAS EXTENDED LIKE IN THE SCREENSHOT. Sadly, no amount of Visual Style editing and screwing around with ZeroDump has removed the extra blue region in explorer. So far, that is.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Oh that image. I know the one who created it. He told everyone in a post a while ago when someone asked about it.

Yes the glitch where a larger frame would appear. While it is possible that explorer would make different calls to mil, and mil using a different frame for explorer(the enlarged frame resources are present) it may not be 100% working. At this point in mil, mil would first set up the application workspace, as well as frame, then draw contents based off of the GDI calls.
It's possible there may have been a degree of explorer commanding mil specific draw(milexplorer) and the dev teams planning it out, explaining the two frames existing, it may not have been fully implemented as I said. As a matter of fact, those resources are also present in 4033.

The reason you saw the frame is that there may have been a delay between the point mil created the workspace and explorer(glitchy as it was in 4039) sending the gdi commands. Resulting in an empty workspace and that frame. The extra blue region is part of the application workspace and is drawn essentially on the frame eliminating the clear portion.

As for your plex theme, I would like it. Hopefully it doesn't have the shrunk title issue.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

yourepicfailure wrote:Oh that image. I know the one who created it. He told everyone in a post a while ago when someone asked about it.

Yes the glitch where a larger frame would appear. While it is possible that explorer would make different calls to mil, and mil using a different frame for explorer(the enlarged frame resources are present) it may not be 100% working. At this point in mil, mil would first set up the application workspace, as well as frame, then draw contents based off of the GDI calls.
It's possible there may have been a degree of explorer commanding mil specific draw(milexplorer) and the dev teams planning it out, explaining the two frames existing, it may not have been fully implemented as I said. As a matter of fact, those resources are also present in 4033.

The reason you saw the frame is that there may have been a delay between the point mil created the workspace and explorer(glitchy as it was in 4039) sending the gdi commands. Resulting in an empty workspace and that frame. The extra blue region is part of the application workspace and is drawn essentially on the frame eliminating the clear portion.

As for your plex theme, I would like it. Hopefully it doesn't have the shrunk title issue.
Pretty much aligns with my understanding. I tried modding 4074 with 4039 images (yes I was that desperate), but I didn't get very far before realizing how pointless it was :/

Idk if that Plex theme has the issue, but I'll send it ASAP (Wednesday). Any restrictions on where I can link downloads from? Is Mega okay?