(CLOSED)LHwiki-a new wiki for Longhorn info

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
ovctvct

(CLOSED)LHwiki-a new wiki for Longhorn info

Post by ovctvct »

link removed is my new Media-Wiki based site for Windows Longhorn info. Please contribute if you can, I don't want competition, but collaboration with BA, Betawiki etc.

EDIT: Site is closed and the account was deleted. Their free hosting really pissed me off.
Last edited by ovctvct on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Overdoze

Re: LHwiki-a new wiki for Longhorn info

Post by Overdoze »

What do you have to offer than existing web sites (BetaWiki, BA Wiki, longhorn.ms, ...) don't?
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Stubs, free hosting and incorrect information by the looks of it.

It's just embarrassing quite frankly.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

What "incorrect information"? It's incomplete, what do you expect?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I just don't see the point of creating a separate wiki for a single project, when there's already two wikis and several non-wiki sites that cover it thoroughly. It would beneficial for everyone (including you) if you helped improving these sites first, instead starting another one from scratch.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

ovctvct wrote:What "incorrect information"? It's incomplete, what do you expect?
http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php/DCE
http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php/DWM

You first imply there is a clear distinction by having the two separate. And then, your ranges are just made up. If DCE was removed after 4033, and DWM appeared in 4074, then what's in 4039, 4042 and 4066? (and indeed, in 4051 and 4053, even if not obviously functional)

There is incomplete and there is your site.

Longhorn.ms is far from complete. Quite possibly, I might even rate it less than half complete. The BA Wiki and BetaWiki articles, even limited to just Longhorn, obviously more so.

Your site is, as it stands, empty for all intents and purposes.

You will find no greater advocate for members starting their own sites than me. But you have to put in the effort in the first place. I think free hosting is a dead end that condemns anything you do to a certain death as well, but if you put in enough effort, it'll attract backing anyway - that's how I got involved with BetaWiki. JaGoTu put in a good amount of effort, I saw value in the site, so I paid for the domain and provided some proper hosting. Longhorn.ms is fairly similar too. It'd been my site for a while (I registered longhorn.me.uk back in 2008, and I've been running a site in some form on that domain ever since), but I lacked the time to give it the justice it deserved. Meanwhile, Melcher and SpaceCore did a great job on their own Longhorn site, so I invited them to take over longhorn.ms.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

hounsell wrote:
ovctvct wrote:What "incorrect information"? It's incomplete, what do you expect?
http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php/DCE
http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php/DWM

You first imply there is a clear distinction by having the two separate. And then, your ranges are just made up. If DCE was removed after 4033, and DWM appeared in 4074, then what's in 4039, 4042 and 4066? (and indeed, in 4051 and 4053, even if not obviously functional)

There is incomplete and there is your site.

Longhorn.ms is far from complete. Quite possibly, I might even rate it less than half complete. The BA Wiki and BetaWiki articles, even limited to just Longhorn, obviously more so.

Your site is, as it stands, empty for all intents and purposes.

You will find no greater advocate for members starting their own sites than me. But you have to put in the effort in the first place. I think free hosting is a dead end that condemns anything you do to a certain death as well, but if you put in enough effort, it'll attract backing anyway - that's how I got involved with BetaWiki. JaGoTu put in a good amount of effort, I saw value in the site, so I paid for the domain and provided some proper hosting. Longhorn.ms is fairly similar too. It'd been my site for a while (I registered longhorn.me.uk back in 2008, and I've been running a site in some form on that domain ever since), but I lacked the time to give it the justice it deserved. Meanwhile, Melcher and SpaceCore did a great job on their own Longhorn site, so I invited them to take over longhorn.ms.
You forgot to mention that dce is part of dwm in the longhorn builds that have dwm but yes windows longhorn 3706-4042, 4066, 4074, 5048-present and for dwm: 4039-4042, 4066, 4074, 5048-present so the wiki can take some time to complete.
Offtopic Comment
When was longhorn.ms completely finished?
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Archenemy wrote:
Offtopic Comment
When was longhorn.ms completely finished?
In the future. And hounsell pointed that out in his post.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Never, most likely.
There will always be more we can learn about Longhorn. And even to document everything that's already known about Longhorn will be a herculean task.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

Archenemy wrote: You forgot to mention that dce is part of dwm
I'd rather say that DCE is early form of DWM
while DWM is successor to DCE or shall we say upgraded version of it

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Unfortunately , the website is too incomplete to me , it even does not have a logo. Do you really have full permissions?
And , ask your hosting provider(or do it yourself) to upgrade the MediaWiki version. It's too old. This should've not happened at all though , since it's a new site.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

The site has been restarted from scratch. The new link is: http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php/Main_Page

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ovctvct wrote:The site has been restarted from scratch. The new link is: http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php/Main_Page
Restarted because of what?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
ovctvct wrote:The site has been restarted from scratch. The new link is: http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php/Main_Page
And what change has happened , except that spambots(or vandals) has already started attacking your site and that the number of builds has been reduced?
Just look at this:- http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php?title ... ge&oldid=7. I wonder who actually removed this. The change to protect the page doesn't help because it simply protected moving the page , not editing the page as the attack happened after the protection.
I know that I'm harsh , but this's not good.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

x010 wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
And what change has happened , except that spambots(or vandals) has already started attacking your site and that the number of builds has been reduced?
Just look at this:- http://lhwiki.bugs3.com/index.php?title ... ge&oldid=7. I wonder who actually removed this. The change to protect the page doesn't help because it simply protected moving the page , not editing the page as the attack happened after the protection.
I know that I'm harsh , but this's not good.
I agree with you and hounsell because all I can see on the webpage is random characters and some other [censored] that doesn't belong on the website.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

UPDATE: File uploading is now enabled on the site, it isn't by default. I will add a logo in a few minutes. And that spambot or whatever has been blocked and the main page is protected with edit=sysop temporarily.
EDIT: The name has been changed from ''MediaWiki" to "LHwiki". But for some reason the logo displays blank even though I added it.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

DCE and DWM are close to one and the same thing. DCE was the composition engine's name pre-reset, DWM was given a little into post-reset. I would suggest merging the two into a page like DCE/DWM.
EDIT: And what the he** does goat (mind me) sex have to do with longhorn?

Wait, there's more. (EDIT 2) The 4074 page looks to have been was copied DIRECTLY off the BA wiki. How do I know? I was the one who destubbed the page (added much more info). Please don't plagiarize others' works, and minor edits don't give you the right to either.
Uploaded just in case: "LHwiki": http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .93427.png BA Wiki: http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .62259.png
Last edited by yourepicfailure on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

yourepicfailure wrote:DCE and DWM are close to one and the same thing. DCE was the composition engine's name pre-reset, DWM was given a little into post-reset. I would suggest merging the two into a page like DCE/DWM.
EDIT: And what the he** does goat (mind me) sex have to do with longhorn?

Wait, there's more. (EDIT 2) The 4074 page looks to have been was copied DIRECTLY off the BA wiki. How do I know? I was the one who destubbed the page (added much more info). Please don't plagiarize others' works.
Uploaded just in case: http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .93427.png
The [censored] *** goat thing was just pure vandalism.
And please contribute to my wiki if you care about it. And I usually modify pages taken directly from the BA wiki.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Well, if you have cases of pure vandalism, then you should consider who you allow to modify your wiki. And, usually, people REMOVE vandalism from their websites, like ASAP.
And I wouldn't call that page, modified, because it looks to have been cp'd off the wiki with little to no edits. At least, put it into your own words.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

yourepicfailure wrote:Well, if you have cases of pure vandalism, then you should consider who you allow to modify your wiki. And, usually, people REMOVE vandalism from their websites, like ASAP.
And I wouldn't call that page, modified, because it looks to have been cp'd off the wiki with little to no edits. At least, put it into your own words.
I changed permissions so that anonymous(non-registered) users can't create pages aside from removing vandalism.

Maza

Post by Maza »

yourepicfailure wrote:Wait, there's more. (EDIT 2) The 4074 page looks to have been was copied DIRECTLY off the BA wiki. How do I know? I was the one who destubbed the page (added much more info). Please don't plagiarize others' works, and minor edits don't give you the right to either.
Uploaded just in case: "LHwiki": http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .93427.png BA Wiki: http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .62259.png
This isn't unique to ovctvct. The BetaWiki is rife with articles copied from the BetaArchive wiki. Some of those articles are copied only days after their original submissions, which makes me wonder why the BetaWiki exists if its contributors must resort to copying articles that have already been written about the same subjects.

...I must admit, though, that there is one upside to this and that is that the information may reach a larger audience and inform more people.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Maza wrote:This isn't unique to ovctvct. The BetaWiki is rife with articles copied from the BetaArchive wiki. Some of those articles are copied only days after their original submissions, which makes me wonder why the BetaWiki exists if its contributors must resort to copying articles that have already been written about the same subject.

...I must admit, though, that there is one upside to this and that is that the information may reach a larger audience and inform more people.
Take a look at something that was written by the BetaWiki creators, for example the DR5 article.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Lukas Marsik wrote:Take a look at something that was written by the BetaWiki creators, for example the DR5 article.
I'm well aware of some of the fine articles created by members of that wiki. It doesn't excuse the fact that a good portion of text and other information is taken from the BetaArchive wiki. Mind you, some of that information is public knowledge, or property, if you will, but the way the text is written is not.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Maza wrote:makes me wonder why the BetaWiki exists if its contributors must resort to copying articles that have already been written about the same subjects.

BillyHatcher has repeatedly come into conflict with BetaWiki staff for his low-quality content (and I do believe the stolen content has been mentioned before). It's hardly something that is representative of BetaWiki, and as SpaceCore pointed out, it's something that unlike with "LH-Wiki" is not sanctioned or practiced by those who run the wiki.

Maza

Post by Maza »

hounsell wrote: BillyHatcher has repeatedly come into conflict with BetaWiki staff for his low-quality content (and I do believe the stolen content has been mentioned before). It's hardly something that is representative of BetaWiki, and as SpaceCore pointed out, it's something that unlike with "LH-Wiki" is not sanctioned or practiced by those who run the wiki.
And yet the staff seemingly let him get by with taking the content? You may write that those actions are not representative of the BetaWiki, but they would mostly certainly be so if they were allowed to continue.