What laptop should i get for Video Editing?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
MacFan

What laptop should i get for Video Editing?

Post by MacFan »

I dont have much of a budget but I need a laptop For 1080p HD editing in Adobe Premier ( Or Final Cut on the Mac) and After Effects. I also want to use it as a everyday laptop.

Out of these three what do you recommend:

2009 Apple MacBook ( White Macboook 5,1)
HP Probook 4530s
This one here (The name isn't on the JB HI FI website) : http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/computers/dell/ ... sku-83824/

All go for around NZD$600-680 and the Macbook is $500.

Also Mac Vs PC is not an issue.

Thanks,

MSUser2013
Donator

Re: What laptop should i get for Video Editing?

Post by MSUser2013 »

I would suggest the Dell Inspiron Laptop, Since it's the newest model, And has the best specs out of all of the PCs in your list

soulman
Donator

Post by soulman »

The old Macbook has no significant advantage in this case unless you prefer FCP to Vegas and other editing tools. Personally I'd go for the Dell i3 as Ivy Bridge has better I/O performance in comparison to the Sandy Bridge HP. However more processing power will always come in handy for rendering. After Effects will require heavy resources so I recommend investing in a better processor (you can pick up an i7 on ebay) later on down the road. I imagine the Dell will support more RAM anyway.

MacFan

Post by MacFan »

So overall the Dell Inspiron is recommended?

q3hardcore

Post by q3hardcore »

I'd recommend you get a Dell Precision, I got mine - an early 2009 model - second hand for under $300 AUD off Ebay.
The 'Precision' product line is actually meant for designers (including video editors), but I use mine for gaming :).
---

MacFan

Post by MacFan »

Modern Dell Precision is way out of my budget

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

MacFan wrote:Modern Dell Precision is way out of my budget
That's why he suggested "Second-Hand"

MacFan

Post by MacFan »

I am leaning towards the Dell Inspiron mentioned above as the only Dell Precisions i can find are older Core 2 Duo models which considering i have ruled out the old MacBook don't make sense to buy.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

MacFan wrote:I am leaning towards the Dell Inspiron mentioned above as the only Dell Precisions i can find are older Core 2 Duo models which considering i have ruled out the old MacBook don't make sense to buy.
I have a Dell Studio 1555 with 4 GB of RAM, a 2.2 Core 2 Duo, and a backlit keyboard and a 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 45xx series graphics card and 128 GB SSD. It does a great job with 1080p movie editing, and I use Sony Vegas 11.

soulman
Donator

Post by soulman »

That won't do much in the way of After Effects Giantsteen.
I use an ASUS K55VD with an i5-3630m (Ivy Bridge, about 3ish GHz Turbo Boost), 16GB RAM and a 1TB HDD, NVidia GT610M (2GB dedicated). Something like this is a baseline for a portable After Effects machine should you do anything fancyish. If I wanted I could dump an i7 Ivy Bridge series in here, my chipset supports it

MacFan

Post by MacFan »

So you think i should get the Dell i3 and if i need it add more ram?

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

I think you should find something with a 1.5 or 2 GB nVidia card for CUDA, as that's what will help you for Premiere and After Effects, Intel just won't cut it when it comes to production.

For reference, I've used a Core i7 2600 with 4 gigs ram and a Radeon HD 6450, and CPU rendering After Effects is hell, it's slow due to the lack of GPU rendering. I would strongly suggest getting a desktop and a cheap video card such as as GTX 650 as that will be far better than any laptop in the price range.

soulman
Donator

Post by soulman »

If OpenCL can be taken advantage of yet (unsure myself) then an AMD card would be an even better choice.

MacFan

Post by MacFan »

I have a iMac 2012 with Nvidia graphics as my Workstation Desktop. However I need a laptop for On The Go work as my Current HP Compaq 6715b can only handle 720p and After effects does not run. Do you have any suggestions based on what people have said so far in in my NZD$600-680 Price range?

Wumbowalrus
Donator

Post by Wumbowalrus »

Did some mad 1080p rendering and editing with FCP on this beast today, It's awesome, would definitely recommend.

kidding of course, but for your 680 price range nothing is really gonna efficiantly do the trick for 1080p editing without it being used/refurbished but with computers it's always a gamble in my experience.

sagem
Donator

Post by sagem »

hay macfan did you try trademe? or some may let you layby if you ask nicely. and look around for best deal for best price
im on cb/ham radio you can get hold of me on skip days/night 41LWC407 41 is section new zealand and LWC407 is my call sig on 27.385 mhz and thats chn 38

MacFan

Post by MacFan »

Tradme is where i am looking for all the second hand ones.