Flower Mutations

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
ken27238

Flower Mutations

Post by ken27238 »

I know this is totally off-topic but I think that this is really cool and I wanted to share it with everyone. in our yard we have some Black-Eyed Susans. and over they years thet have grown into this huge cluster of about 150-200 flowers, recently we have seen some crazy mutations. here is a sample:

so does anyone else have anything like this going on in there yard?
apple are a 1trillion dollar scam :evil:

Gamma

Re: Flower Mutations

Post by Gamma »

I'm seriously willing to bet that that has something to do with fu-kushima. After all, fu-kushima released way more radiation than chernobyl.
Here's a post from a fu-kushima related website showing this:
http://tinyurl.com/7zmna86

EDIT: Why the heck is fu-kushima censored? Had to use tinyurl for the website since BA keeps censoring the name.
Last edited by Gamma on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: samxthomas
Flickr: https://www.flic.kr/lucemsequimur

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

The f-u-k at the start gets it censored. Silly BA censor.

And please, this is not likely to be anything to do with radiation. Mutations are part of nature, and mutations such as that are more common than you seem to credit - as a mutation, it's probably along the same line as cancer in humans, which is relatively common and has existed long before any man-made radioactivity - the main reason we see it today more than in the far past is simply down to humans living longer.

Also, radiation is not just released by a nuclear incident. Coal Power Plants release far more radiation than a nuclear power plant in normal operation for example, because coal itself contains a number of radioactive isotopes that are released into the air as part of the soot when coal burns.

Gamma

Post by Gamma »

True. Although there still is a chance that this is related.
Instagram: samxthomas
Flickr: https://www.flic.kr/lucemsequimur

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

Unless the OP lives on mainland Japan, I seriously doubt this has even a chance of being related to "fu-kushima".

ken27238

Post by ken27238 »

hounsell wrote:The f-u-k at the start gets it censored. Silly BA censor.

And please, this is not likely to be anything to do with radiation. Mutations are part of nature, and mutations such as that are more common than you seem to credit - as a mutation, it's probably along the same line as cancer in humans, which is relatively common and has existed long before any man-made radioactivity - the main reason we see it today more than in the far past is simply down to humans living longer.

Also, radiation is not just released by a nuclear incident. Coal Power Plants release far more radiation than a nuclear power plant in normal operation for example, because coal itself contains a number of radioactive isotopes that are released into the air as part of the soot when coal burns.
agreed, If you have a large enough sample size (we have close to 200 individual flowers) then there is a greater chance of mutations. Out of the 200 I'd say there is about 50-75 mutations.
Derf wrote:Unless the OP lives on mainland Japan, I seriously doubt this has even a chance of being related to "fu-kushima".
I live on the East coast of the US (in Massachusetts to be exact).
apple are a 1trillion dollar scam :evil:

john11
Donator

Post by john11 »

ken27238 wrote: agreed, If you have a large enough sample size (we have close to 200 individual flowers) then there is a greater chance of mutations. Out of the 200 I'd say there is about 50-75 mutations.
Thats 25%-37.5% mutation. And 200 isn't a large sample size either. Mutations occur naturally, and obviously they are all mutated, but considering your probably talking about bigger mutations, that seems like quite a lot of mutations, but I don't know anything about flowers. Our old place had heaps of them, looked really nice, but this new rental place hasn't got any.

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

john11 wrote:
ken27238 wrote: agreed, If you have a large enough sample size (we have close to 200 individual flowers) then there is a greater chance of mutations. Out of the 200 I'd say there is about 50-75 mutations.
Thats 25%-37.5% mutation. And 200 isn't a large sample size either. Mutations occur naturally, and obviously they are all mutated, but considering your probably talking about bigger mutations, that seems like quite a lot of mutations, but I don't know anything about flowers. Our old place had heaps of them, looked really nice, but this new rental place hasn't got any.
Consider that many, if not all flowers are more than likely related, so there's a large chance that genetic mutations could be passed on to offspring resulting in an unknowable amount of actual first time mutations.