Sims 2 on Windows 8?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
startmenuisgone

Sims 2 on Windows 8?

Post by startmenuisgone »

Im trying to install the sims 2, however it wont go past the INSTALL DIRECTORY window. I select the directory as normal but when i click next it will keep going back to that window and not go anywhere. Has anyone else had issues on this? I need help please.
Please be aware that someone else is using the name "startmenuisgone" on other sites and it is NOT me. I am only registered with that name here and on assembler games. The other accounts are fraud!

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Re: Sims 2 on Windows 8?

Post by CaptainPeanut »

I would run the setup as an administrator.

startmenuisgone

Tried to. Sadly its the same outcome. An infinite popup of Directory Boxes. I did check though and only the sims 2 is like this. The sims 1 complete collection and the sims 3 install and play perfect.
Please be aware that someone else is using the name "startmenuisgone" on other sites and it is NOT me. I am only registered with that name here and on assembler games. The other accounts are fraud!

skywalker06
Donator

Post by skywalker06 »

Have you tried running setup in compatibility mode that might help and have you searched Google as they might be a workaround for it

startmenuisgone

skywalker06 wrote:Have you tried running setup in compatibility mode that might help and have you searched Google as they might be a workaround for it
I tried that as well. Nothing. The sims 2 i guess just aint gonna work?

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

startmenuisgone wrote:
skywalker06 wrote:Have you tried running setup in compatibility mode that might help and have you searched Google as they might be a workaround for it
Original?

skywalker06
Donator

Post by skywalker06 »

If you have the disk space and you want to play Sims 2 so badly have you thought of dual booting like with XP or Vista ?

EDIT1: I have a spare XP key and CD and support don't end till April 2014

EDIT2: This might sound draft but have you tried changing the directory and dd it install ok on differnet OSs?
Last edited by skywalker06 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

startmenuisgone

MegaDragon998 wrote:
startmenuisgone wrote:
Original?
Both.
Theres a better detail of the problem in this video:

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

startmenuisgone wrote:
MegaDragon998 wrote:
startmenuisgone wrote:
Original?
Both.
Theres a better detail of the problem in this video:
Is Sims 2 cd original!? 8-)

startmenuisgone

Like I said, I tried both, meaning Original, and deluxe edition. Its the setup is obviously incompatible.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

startmenuisgone wrote:Like I said, I tried both, meaning Original, and deluxe edition. Its the setup is obviously incompatible.
OMG 8-) I asked have you downloaded it or is it warez or burned by someone...or buyed...

Neal1231

Post by Neal1231 »

I have my Sims 2 disks next to me but I lost my disk one. :(

startmenuisgone

EDIT:

The bottom answer solves my question: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 6821d9ac8f
Generally, however, things that run in Windows 7 will run in Windows 8. That said, according to the compatibility report from the Windows 7 compatibility center, it is not compatible with Windows 7.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compat ... &os=64-bit
It can be locked now.

janeasher

Post by janeasher »

hi there. had the same problem since installing release preview yesterday. almost gave up, but then i found the solution. all you have to do is just to copy your old sims 2 folders from previous version of windows in program files folder (or whatever folder you need) without any installation. then manually edit the registry to create paths and combine all addons. works perfectly well. proof: Image

Moggaftw11

Post by Moggaftw11 »

janeasher wrote:hi there. had the same problem since installing release preview yesterday. almost gave up, but then i found the solution. all you have to do is just to copy your old sims 2 folders from previous version of windows in program files folder (or whatever folder you need) without any installation. then manually edit the registry to create paths and combine all addons. works perfectly well. proof: Image

Hi there, Can you please tell me how you did this as I too am running the Release Preview and can't for the life of me, get it to work! What did you do to get it working, help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

janeasher

Post by janeasher »

Moggaftw11 wrote: Hi there, Can you please tell me how you did this as I too am running the Release Preview and can't for the life of me, get it to work! What did you do to get it working, help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
hi! well, as i said first thing you need is already installed game on another computer or on your computer but in previous version of windows. you just have to copy sims 2 folders (core game and all the addons) in your new system. for the second step i discovered by now even easier way to edit the registry, so you need this program called sims addon integrator (SInt), it will create all the paths automatically. just google it and when after installing and launching click on "sInt" button in the upper left corner, then click on "автоматическое объединение" (the program is in russian so i don't know how to explain this another way, sorry), find your sims 2 folder, press "ok" and the program will do the rest itself.
if you are having problems finding SInt text me in pm cause i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post links here.

good luck!

kristin

Post by kristin »

Bump!

Has anyone done more work on this? I created quite a few wire frames that were imported to the Sim2 game and would like to keep them working. How is your game running now, after you got the install issue worked out?

My Dell main board failed on Saturday, and I would like to upgrade to 8 if I can. Win 7 will cost most $300.

I noticed that part of your fix was by editing the registry keys. I will be able to copy my over my program files for the game, but I'm not sure I can pull out the registry keys from the original Win XP registry. I intend to install a solid state drive for my boot partition and will do a fresh install of Windows 8 and not an upgrade. Does anyone know where I can get a list of the reg keys for Sims2. Would someone who installed it already in Win8 be able to export them to text so I can add them on my new build?

Thanks!

janeasher

Post by janeasher »

kristin, in win 8 official release (build 9200) everything works fine without that hoodoo i described above. so feel free to upgrade!

Lucas

Post by Lucas »

I tried to install it on the regular windows 8 but sadly it did not work, but when i tried to install it on Windows 8 Pro it worked fine... I wonder why...?

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

Lucas wrote:I tried to install it on the regular windows 8 but sadly it did not work, but when i tried to install it on Windows 8 Pro it worked fine... I wonder why...?
It has some kind of different system of function...

Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Well it just seems weird, I would say that EA would release a patch to fix this in the future as they have done before with their previous games. I will wait till then to install it on my other Windows 8 pc's but I am glad I had at least one PC that will play it :D

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

Lucas wrote:Well it just seems weird, I would say that EA would release a patch to fix this in the future as they have done before with their previous games. I will wait till then to install it on my other Windows 8 pc's but I am glad I had at least one PC that will play it :D
Well if EA doesnt release official fix , there may be some unofficial fix made by game lovers.

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Lucas wrote:Well it just seems weird, I would say that EA would release a patch to fix this in the future as they have done before with their previous games. I will wait till then to install it on my other Windows 8 pc's but I am glad I had at least one PC that will play it :D
I don't see why they should bother releasing a patch for the Sims 2 considering they have the Sims 3 to focus on now. You'll probably have to wait for a fan-fix.
Administrator @ TalonBrave.info; The Dedicated Video-Games Archive
Developer @ OldTimes Software

chrisyroid

Post by chrisyroid »

If it helps any, I'm creating a custom installer template from vb.net and seven zip archives. If you wanted to you could modify the code to support the windows 8 registry and directories. You just need to install the game and zip it up using seven zip then compile the executable using your custom code.

iJake7

Post by iJake7 »

Lucas wrote:I tried to install it on the regular windows 8 but sadly it did not work, but when i tried to install it on Windows 8 Pro it worked fine... I wonder why...?
Isn't windows 8 pro the only windows 8? other than rt?