Windows NT 4 Source Compiled! version 2

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
psyche

Re: Windows NT 4 Source Compiled! version 2

Post by psyche »

AyamiOoruri29 wrote:Image

It won't work install Virtual Machine Additions. I Insert VMAdditions 13.306 CD on NT 4.5.
And it's pretty obvious why if you look at the image you posted. OpenNT 4.5 is based on the leaked Windows sources, which means that it's essentially Windows NT 4.0 SP3 (with several custom fixes on top of it). See the Windows NT 4.0 Reference Material page on Service Packs for more info. Basically 1,283 bugs were fixed in the subsequent Service Packs.

@Stephanos: Keep up the great work, mate! I'm impressed just how quickly you managed to add support for larger hard drives. :D Will the various NT 5 kernel features you're working on include USB support? The NT 4.0 Reference Material site has some notes on NT 4.0's USB support. I've only investigated the GPL-licensed (not public domain, as the page claims) USB stack by Woodhead (Zhiming), but it doesn't seem to include the "Eject USB safely" feature (that little icon in the systray) present in W2K and newer Windows releases.

Holmes

Post by Holmes »

I cant run this :( it just gives me an error and wont run.
This is my account. There are others like it but this one is mine.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Mmmmhmmm....
You've got an error. What's the error? Wait I'll guess, an error.
Please do tell a bit about this "error"
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

fexuaz555 wrote:
os2fan2 wrote:Did you try resetting the CSDlevel of the OS and try again.
What's the 'CSDlevel' and How to set the CSDlevel?
the registry CSDVersion specifies the service pack version. For now, OpenNT 4.5 CSDVersion is 0x000 (no SP). You could try modifying it to 0x600 (SP 6) and see if that changes anything.

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

the_dj21 wrote:The website is down ?
Unfortunately, yes. The hosting company failed once again. I'm considering moving to a different hosting company ..
psyche wrote:@Stephanos: Keep up the great work, mate! I'm impressed just how quickly you managed to add support for larger hard drives. :D Will the various NT 5 kernel features you're working on include USB support? The NT 4.0 Reference Material site has some notes on NT 4.0's USB support. I've only investigated the GPL-licensed (not public domain, as the page claims) USB stack by Woodhead (Zhiming), but it doesn't seem to include the "Eject USB safely" feature (that little icon in the systray) present in W2K and newer Windows releases.
Thanks :) As for the kernel features only, USB support addition is not directly related. NT 5 kernel port will come with a better PnP support, however. Since it seems many people are interested in USB support, I will try to get it implemented soon.
Holmes wrote:I cant run this :( it just gives me an error and wont run.
Could you please elaborate? (i.e. your testing environment, error message)

fexuaz555

Post by fexuaz555 »

How to install IE4 and IE6?
I set CSDVersion 0x600, but it doesn't working.
First, IE4 shows error message, "You must have NT SUR 4.0 Gold (version 1381)". I don't know what I should do.
Last edited by fexuaz555 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main OS : Windows XP
Windows 9x Series : Good! Windows 2000 Good! Windows Vista : Not bad Windows 7 : Very good!
Windows XP = Love!!

nerd70

Post by nerd70 »

fexuaz555 wrote:How to install IE4 and IE6?
I set CSDVersion 0x600, but it doesn't working.
First, IE4 shows error message, "Please Install Gold version of Windows NT 4.0 (version 1381)". I don't know what I should do.
Install a different browser, also this is a fork of NT 4.0, not the original.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

CSDVersion is

HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\windows]
CSDVersion=00000400
; this is x100 * service pack level: CSD is IBM talk: corrective service diskette.

There's a build level in there too.
[HKLM\Users\.default\software\microsoft\windows nt\CurrentVersion\winlogon]
BuildNumber = 0x000000893 (2195)

James

Post by James »

Stephanos, I had a question, are you also considering compiling this for non-x86 platforms (like PowerPC)? I suppose it's a rather pointless endeavor due to the specific hardware requirements, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

James wrote:Stephanos, I had a question, are you also considering compiling this for non-x86 platforms (like PowerPC)? I suppose it's a rather pointless endeavor due to the specific hardware requirements, but I figure I'd ask anyway.
In fact, that is one of the project's primary goals. I'm putting AMD64 as the first priority non-i386 build (this will include a full system port to AMD64, which is not currently implemented) and then possibly ARM (mainly targeting Raspberry Pi community and tons of other ARM devices ..) or MIPS after that. PowerPC and Alpha versions will eventually be built as well. As for PowerPC, I am thinking about implementing HALs for old PPC-based Macs so that it can be a lot more useful. For Alpha, unfortunately, I don't have a machine to carry out development on, nor does it look like I will be able to justify spending nearly thousand dollars on an archaic Alpha machine. In long term (could be years ..), I plan to implement an Alpha 21064-compatible core and create a functional Alpha SoC on an FPGA.

yourepicfailure
Donator

I was wondering, Stephanos, if you could put an extra parameter for the kernel so it could boot like NT4.
However, it could show the files being loaded at the same time promoting usefulness as a live bootlog.
Similar to this:
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

I have a Dec AlphaStation 500 but it has a slightly broken PSU and I could do some testing there (as soon as I get a new PSU or get the one I have fixed)

I also have some MIPS machines, however not the ones that WinNT originally ran on (MIPS Magnum), and a Motorola PowerStack II and IBM RS/6000 43P (at least the IBM one should theoretically run NT)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

yourepicfailure wrote:I was wondering, Stephanos, if you could put an extra parameter for the kernel so it could boot like NT4.
However, it could show the files being loaded at the same time promoting usefulness as a live bootlog.
You get the full boot log (including driver load and bus enumeration) if you connect the kernel debugger to checked build (x86chk) with /DEBUG set. I could redirect all DbgPrint outputs to the boot console (which includes the driver load status), but I am not sure if this would be a good idea as it could make the boot screen look messy. For now, I will add a new boot option /VERBOSE to make the kernel display all DbgPrint outputs to the boot console on x86chk build only.

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

Darkstar wrote:I have a Dec AlphaStation 500 but it has a slightly broken PSU and I could do some testing there (as soon as I get a new PSU or get the one I have fixed)

I also have some MIPS machines, however not the ones that WinNT originally ran on (MIPS Magnum), and a Motorola PowerStack II and IBM RS/6000 43P (at least the IBM one should theoretically run NT)
That's great. I will ask for your help later when I manage to get the Alpha version built. As for MIPS, I will be using QEmu Magnum as the test platform. It would be nice to have other MIPS machines to test it on, nonetheless (assuming they support ARC firmware, it shouldn't be too much of an hassle to get MIPS NT working on them).

yourepicfailure
Donator

Stephanos, got an old Xbox360? Hacked up, it'd be a great PPC test client.
Mines hacked up and ready for testing if you need one there...

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

yourepicfailure wrote:Stephanos, got an old Xbox360? Hacked up, it'd be a great PPC test client.
No. I don't have an Xbox 360. I would prefer PPC-based Mac as the development platform though, as I wouldn't need to bother with circumventing security features and various other limitations that may arise from the Xbox's proprietary nature. I might consider Xbox 360 HAL port once the PPC Mac port is functional.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Stephanos wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote:Stephanos, got an old Xbox360? Hacked up, it'd be a great PPC test client.
No. I don't have an Xbox 360. I would prefer PPC-based Mac as the development platform though, as I wouldn't need to bother with circumventing security features and various other limitations that may arise from the Xbox's proprietary nature. I might consider Xbox 360 HAL port once the PPC Mac port is functional.
I did say mine's already "fixed".

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

yourepicfailure wrote:
Stephanos wrote:
I did say mine's already "fixed".
The main problem with that is I can't use your Xbox 360 to develop and test.

James

Post by James »

Stephanos wrote:
James wrote:Stephanos, I had a question, are you also considering compiling this for non-x86 platforms (like PowerPC)? I suppose it's a rather pointless endeavor due to the specific hardware requirements, but I figure I'd ask anyway.
In fact, that is one of the project's primary goals. I'm putting AMD64 as the first priority non-i386 build (this will include a full system port to AMD64, which is not currently implemented) and then possibly ARM (mainly targeting Raspberry Pi community and tons of other ARM devices ..) or MIPS after that. PowerPC and Alpha versions will eventually be built as well. As for PowerPC, I am thinking about implementing HALs for old PPC-based Macs so that it can be a lot more useful. For Alpha, unfortunately, I don't have a machine to carry out development on, nor does it look like I will be able to justify spending nearly thousand dollars on an archaic Alpha machine. In long term (could be years ..), I plan to implement an Alpha 21064-compatible core and create a functional Alpha SoC on an FPGA.
That is awesome. I've been really fascinated by PowerPC stuff these days, but I don't have any PowerPC Macs. I had gotten my hands on a G4 iMac, but it was dead, so I put it on eBay. :P

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- Stephanos: Any plan to support the NEC PC-98? You can use the Anex86 emulator to test that.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

Battler wrote:- Stephanos: Any plan to support the NEC PC-98? You can use the Anex86 emulator to test that.
It should be technically possible to support PC-98xx with 80386+ by porting the HAL and modifying the boot process (i.e. bootstrap code and NTLDR). Although technically possible, I am not sure about the current PC-98 user base and its potential usefulness for the amount of work put into it. For now, I will be working on the AMD64 and other high priority ports first (e.g. ARM). After I achieve most of the current project goals, I might consider it (or alternatively, if someone else capable and willing shows up, he/she can work on it).

On a side note, does Anex86 emulator support PC-98xx with 80386 and above? At first glance, it seems like it only emulates 8086-based PC-98 (which we simply cannot port NT to).

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Stephanos wrote:
Battler wrote:- Stephanos: Any plan to support the NEC PC-98? You can use the Anex86 emulator to test that.
It should be technically possible to support PC-98xx with 80386+ by porting the HAL and modifying the boot process (i.e. bootstrap code and NTLDR). Although technically possible, I am not sure about the current PC-98 user base and its potential usefulness for the amount of work put into it.
Well, PC-98's user base is certainly larger than the user base for MIPS and Alpha Systems, that's for sure ;-) And if you don't count Macs, it's probably also larger than the "classic" PPC (PReP) user base
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

What about support for the Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Wii? Those use processors NT4 was released for (N64 uses MIPS, GC and Wii use PowerPC), So it could be possible.

And do you plan on graphical changes? I could think of some things for you to add if possible, Including a graphical boot screen, And gradient title bars (like in Windows 98 and 2000)

I just installed this in a Virtual Machine (using VirtualPC), And this is good work, Wonder how good this will be on hardware that supports NT4 :P

Last thing to ask you, Do you mind if I posted videos of this being used? Since I post computer videos and someday would like to post videos of this running on some computers and in the VM and wanted to make sure if it was OK before I did it.

yourepicfailure
Donator

MSUser2013 wrote:What about support for the Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Wii? Those use processors NT4 was released for (N64 uses MIPS, GC and Wii use PowerPC), So it could be possible.

And do you plan on graphical changes? I could think of some things for you to add if possible, Including a graphical boot screen, And gradient title bars (like in Windows 98 and 2000)

I just installed this in a Virtual Machine (using VirtualPC), And this is good work, Wonder how good this will be on hardware that supports NT4 :P

Last thing to ask you, Do you mind if I posted videos of this being used? Since I post computer videos and someday would like to post videos of this running on some computers and in the VM and wanted to make sure if it was OK before I did it.
I'm working on a few of the graphical changes such as Gradient title bars.
However, I'm waiting on his SDK. Right now, I'm working on what I can, such as a few ports but unresolved header dependencies is keeping me off doing the big things, like porting explorer browseui.

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

MSUser2013 wrote:What about support for the Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Wii? Those use processors NT4 was released for (N64 uses MIPS, GC and Wii use PowerPC), So it could be possible.

For now, there are no explicit plans for those ports. It's too early to say whether I will be working on them or not as I literally have hundreds of things to work on at this time and I don't know how long it will take to go through them all. I might work on them in the future if I manage to complete most high priority tasks, or if the project gets more developers who can work on them.

Graphical boot screen (bootvid) will be implemented soon after the NT 5 kernel port task is complete. The Win 2000 shell update task, which will include gradient title bars, is currently in the TODO list.

And I don't mind anyone posting videos about this project.