OK so whats with all the SSL and changing passwords?!

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

Zimmy, its still bugging me, why did you do it?
So far you've told us how you did it, your opinion of the forum, educated us as to why Andy should use Apache or IIS on the server (not a bad idea) and told us you have a $20,000 credit rating.
But why, what good does it do you having a copy of the forum?
There has to be a better reason than that you just wanted to stroke your ego...

nightmare_david

Post by nightmare_david »

Good question. Said he told Andy and it was to long to repeat here. Why is that when he had no problem writing a novel about how he did it? I don't buy that "the ban isn't the reason" for what he did.

The fact that he said he isn't leaking it or anything, but also mentioned he's never giving it back, tells me he does indeed plan on doing something with it. If you're not going to do anything with it, why keep it? That makes no sense to me.

I also want to say that even I know who Panda X is. Shouldn't judge people on just a post count.

Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Man oh man i knew something was happening from a min before the site and server went down, I think it was pretty obvious who done it, it had to be someone barring a grudge for Andy banning him.

Like anyone he probably felt mad and felt you were in the wrong Andy but in actual fact it was him all along i think he just needed to step back and think what he was doing, he went very OTT.

Hope this does not happen again.

נσя∂αη
--Signature Coming Soon--
--------------------------

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Hm, I don't know what to say... After reading all this all I can do is to agree with KenOath's first post... Personally I am very disappointed in the way people use their time and skills to deliberately destroy other peoples work...

Zimmy, you are clearly a talented guy with a lot of knowledge. You knew why you were banned, and it was pretty obvious to anywhere why. First you could just think about what you post before actually posting it, being rude and hacking down on other members is never a good idea. If you do this in school you'll get expelled. If you do this at work you will get fired. What's different from doing it offline? You sit behind a desk safely in your home and type at your keyboard. You don't have to face your victim and not risk being swinged at when you tell them to .... off... But in the end it's just the same as in real life.

So why do you do it? You were a member here like everyone else, obeying the same rules and regulations like everyone else. Even admins do that. I mean, if you owned a bank and ran it as a manager wouldn't give you the right to rob it yourself, even if it's your own bank with your own money (let's say for the arguments sake that the only customer is you). You still have to fill out all the paperwork and go through regular channels to get your cash. Same applies to this forum. You have to follow the rules.

You broke those rules, and you did it with quite a running-at-250mph-straight-into-a-10-foot-iron-wall way. So instead of taking it like a normal person and think "damn now I did it" and accept your punishment you went all the way and used your skills to destroy. Instead of just contacting Andy and with reason try to explain why you went your way to make his life a hell. At worst you could have just left it as it was and do something productive with your life.

Remember, you are not only messing with Andy's life here. You are messing with every members life. You dumped the forum, you saved all the data that other people shouldn't see. Now we don't know what you will do with that data. You say you won't release it or so, but how can we trust you now? You have shown that you rather shoot before asking questions so you're a loose gun to everyone. You prefer violence instead of peace. So you made everyone nervous now. And do you think people will think of you in a better way now? No, they will think you're just an another lost kid on his/her way to destruction. I feel really sadly for you. All you needed to do is talk to Andy. And if he didn't want to listen you could have sent an email to him with the info he needs to fix the server. He would have consulted others and get it proven that BA had security flaws. You would have been the good guy and Andy and everyone else would have gained some trust with you again. It may even had the effect that you got unbanned if you only apologized properly.

Now you're just another bully thinking that you are more important than others, and that any rule breaking on your part is all warranted because hey, you're the super god user and the rules of mortal men doesn't apply to you.

I sure respect your skills, I just don't respect the way you chose to use them. I myself am a system admin with several high profile certifications, but I would never in my life use that to force my way into a system to prove a point. I would do that ONLY if the owner gave me permission to find the weaknesses. I could have offered my services and tell them that they need to check their security and that I can help them with that. If they agree I would do my "hack", write it all down, write down what needs to be fixed and how to fix it and then turn it all in. And I wouldn't save any data from the site.

That's how you do it the right way. That's how you do it the adult and responsible way.

Your way was of a kid that thinks the world hates him and that he needs to show the world how big of a man he is. "Fear me because I got the sk1llz!". And all because HE did something wrong and couldn't take proper responsibility for it. You broke the window, but you can't just say "sorry", instead you come up with some way to screw around with the window owner because he caught you breaking the window.

Very sad.

I dont know you well enough Zimmy to judge you or to say what kind of person you are, but as you should know by now, everything you do on the net and in real life tells other people what kind of person you are. And in my eyes you have not shown yourself to be a responsible guy. Until you prove otherwise you'll be just another kid that has too much power he can handle.

---

To everyone else on BA. Steps will be taken to fix these issues. There will always be people like these around to mess and destroy, but the important thing to know is that BA isn't down. Like everything else it will be patched up and keep going. Don't lose faith in it. And if anyone knows anything or sees anything that might be a potential problem talk to Andy. You can even talk to me and I'll route it to Andy myself or I'll try to help you on the spot.

*end ranting *
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Remember zimmy, that what you did was an federal offence, and there is a punishment worser then a permanent ban for it.

You did hacking, just straight hacking, you didn't issue a form with what you do exactly and you certainly didn't have the OK from Andy to do it.

If you did have clearance to do it you would be ethical hacking (testing security flaws), I myself is in the process of ethical hacking (learning to do it) but even then if you go over the internet it's always a crime.
At this time we are learning about ARP poisining and for the first time you do it, it's hard to do it.

You are an ethical hacker if you have taken the classes from this website:
And believe me, it isn't easy, my teacher itsself is learning it through this course, and only the books were 1/2 meter (50cm) high.

http://www.eccouncil.org/

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

I'm gunna take a stab and say your average hacker, even an ethical one, does not look like Simon there.

wetlegs6

Post by wetlegs6 »

Holy snackerjacks Andy, that sucks.

Glad we're alright-ish now though...
KenOath wrote:
jabster wrote:One thing that bugs me.
That's an easy question to answer, Zim thinks / acts like he's a cut above the rest [...]
Hi KenO! Long time no see!
Longhorn and general beta fanatic since 2003 :D

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

DjRob wrote:Remember zimmy, that what you did was an federal offence, and there is a punishment worser then a permanent ban for it.

You did hacking, just straight hacking, you didn't issue a form with what you do exactly and you certainly didn't have the OK from Andy to do it.

If you did have clearance to do it you would be ethical hacking (testing security flaws), I myself is in the process of ethical hacking (learning to do it) but even then if you go over the internet it's always a crime.
At this time we are learning about ARP poisining and for the first time you do it, it's hard to do it.

You are an ethical hacker if you have taken the classes from this website:
And believe me, it isn't easy, my teacher itsself is learning it through this course, and only the books were 1/2 meter (50cm) high.

http://www.eccouncil.org/
[citation needed]

So, let me make a few corrections to your post.

s/worser/worse/

Count the amount of federal offences you have done. Be sure to include all your illegal torrent goods and music from limewire.

Certificiations don't make jack [censored] of a difference in todays world. Most businesses just care about what you know. You don't just "take some class" to become an ethical hacker.

darthtk118

Post by darthtk118 »

Zimmy wrote:
[citation needed]

So, let me make a few corrections to your post.

s/worser/worse/

Count the amount of federal offences you have done. Be sure to include all your illegal torrent goods and music from limewire.

Certificiations don't make jack [censored] of a difference in todays world. Most businesses just care about what you know. You don't just "take some class" to become an ethical hacker.
That still doesn't make what you did right.

Andy, YOU run a great forum. Keep up the good work.
http://www.christdaily.net - Where I go everyday.

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

Sometimes I think we all forget this is all just the internet.

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

what would you say to someone who doesnt do that zimmy? and ev en if they did this is a much higher level.

good luck andy

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

The internet is serious business.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

zeehonden_3

Post by zeehonden_3 »

Now i get a banner with: change your passport to this website......

I did it earlier today also. Do I have to change it again?

Why do people always have to irritate us with all stupid things...........

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

zeehonden_3 wrote:Now i get a banner with: change your passport to this website......

I did it earlier today also. Do I have to change it again?

Why do people always have to irritate us with all stupid things...........
its there when you haven't signed in so its just there to say make sure you have changed your password...

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

Why do you do this? what are you getting out of this? to prove a point? big woop prove your point lots of people do it but why ruin other peoples work just to prove a [censored] point?

Koptor

Post by Koptor »

LOL at this thread.

LOL at people actually caring.

LOL at the internet.

Surely the fact that Zimmy did this outlines the poor administrative/security skills of Andy, and nothing else? There's no point in being all ZOMG ZIMMY SUX HE HAXED TEH SITE!!1!!1!1! - that's just crying over spilt milk.

What I will say on the subject is that I do not approve of the way this site is run in some aspects, and as I understand it, Zimmy's attack was a protest against it. It also exploited quite a major security flaw in the site, so in a way it was a good thing - as hopefully now it can be sorted out (although I'm assuming not, since Andy loves Abyss so much, lol)

Again, in regards to the ZOMG YOU COMMITED CRIME LOL, how about all the illegal content on this site? lol.

Anyway, go take a walk away from the computer for a while - and just remember that there's more to life than forums...
lol, internet

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

Koptor wrote:LOL at this thread.

LOL at the internet.

Surely the fact that Zimmy did this outlines the poor administrative/security skills of Andy, and nothing else? There's no point in being all ZOMG ZIMMY SUX HE HAXED TEH SITE!!1!!1!1! - that's just crying over spilt milk.

What I will say on the subject is that I do not approve of the way this site is run in some aspects, and as I understand it, Zimmy's attack was a protest against it. It also exploited quite a major security flaw in the site, so in a way it was a good thing - as hopefully now it can be sorted out (although I'm assuming not, since Andy loves Abyss so much, lol)

Again, in regards to the ZOMG YOU COMMITED CRIME LOL, how about all the illegal content on this site? lol.

Anyway, go take a walk away from the computer for a while - and just remember that there's more to life than forums...
1. theres no way in [censored] you just said it was andy's fault some guy hacked his site because he got banned? (you stated it as though it was all andy's fault which there is no argument for)

2. i would like to see where someone put in that lettering or way about how he broke the law...

3. tell andy not us about how you think he runs the site...

4. if ms cared we wouldn't be here, ms has NOT cared so the site is here if ms cares the site wont be... i'm pretty sure everyone here cares about what zimmy did.

5. you seem to have enough time to post your criticism about the site don't say you need to get away from forums...

6. LOL at your post (nice way to present how you think people are going overboard on the subject...)

Koptor

Post by Koptor »

zamadatix wrote:1. theres no way in [censored] you just said it was andy's fault some guy hacked his site because he got banned? (you stated it as though it was all andy's fault which there is no argument for)
If Andy secured his server better, it wouldn't have happened.
zamadatix wrote:2. i would like to see where someone put in that lettering or way about how he broke the law...
Here you go...
DjRob wrote:Remember zimmy, that what you did was an federal offence, and there is a punishment worser then a permanent ban for it.
zamadatix wrote:3. tell andy not us about how you think he runs the site...
How about you shut the [censored] up, I'm commenting on the situation and it is relevant, since it was the cause of the thing in the first place...
zamadatix wrote:4. if ms cared we wouldn't be here, ms has NOT cared so the site is here if ms cares the site wont be... i'm pretty sure everyone here cares about what zimmy did.
MS 'caring' is very different to whether or not it's legal. And interestingly, not everyone here cares - I for one don't - the site hasn't been affected in any way whatsoever other than you have to change your password. How [censored] hard is that?
zamadatix wrote:5. you seem to have enough time to post your criticism about the site don't say you need to get away from forums...
lol, so you're basically questioning whether or not I have a life? I've been working all day putting down wooden flooring in my hallway, and came on the computer for an hour. I also don't cause drama because of something that happened on a forum. Believe it or not, it's not the end of the world, and life DOES go on! Shock horror!
zamadatix wrote:6. LOL at your post (nice way to present how you think people are going overboard on the subject...)
Do you think I care? lol
lol, internet

Hrimfaxi

Post by Hrimfaxi »

Derf wrote:Sometimes I think we all forget this is all just the internet.
Bender wrote:The internet is serious business.
Koptor wrote:LOL at this thread.

LOL at the internet.

I support these posts 100%.

baww betaarchive got hacked.
aren't any of you happy that the problems that existed before are being fixed NOW?

noo of course not.. everyones too busy whining over the [censored] internet.
zamadatix wrote:1. theres no way in [censored] you just said it was andy's fault some guy hacked his site because he got banned? (you stated it as though it was all andy's fault which there is no argument for)
can you not read?
Zimmy wrote:Second, this was in no way, shape, or form, related to that ban.

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

weren't you just preaching to not care about the internet its just a forum? and neither my post of the other looked like ZOMFG ZIMMY!!!21!!1!!1 as you stated i saw grammatical error and missing commas... and as i stated you said it was completely andy's fault the server got hacked... which i said there is no argument for. i never said your comments about how andy runs the site where irrelevant i said you should pm andy about them not blurt them out to everyone (disgracefully rude). far more comments where focused on why he did it than do i have to change my password, which i doubt anyone said was hard. and i hate to break it to you but putting flooring up isnt exactly having a good time with your friends... its normal its Saturday don't complain about people being on a forum your going ot shout complaints at.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Frankly, the whole scenario could have been a lot worse.
Zimmy went out to prove a point, not seek revenge. If he had, we probably wouldn't have this forum here now. The flaw was significant enough for Zimmy to be able to wipe the entire forum (delete the files and the DB).

Now, he copied it, with questionable motives, but really, things could be worse. It's better that we still have this forum, than not have it for a while as Andy reconstructs everything (though I know he keeps regular backups, it'd still be more hassle)

It's also best that it happened now, and by someone who just had to prove a point, than in the future, when the forum is larger and by someone who is seeking revenge.

Koptor

Post by Koptor »

zamadatix wrote:weren't you just preaching to not care about the internet its just a forum? and neither my post of the other looked like ZOMFG ZIMMY!!!21!!1!!1 as you stated i saw grammatical error and missing commas... and as i stated you said it was completely andy's fault the server got hacked... which i said there is no argument for. i never said your comments about how andy runs the site where irrelevant i said you should pm andy about them not blurt them out to everyone (disgracefully rude). far more comments where focused on why he did it than do i have to change my password, which i doubt anyone said was hard. and i hate to break it to you but putting flooring up isnt exactly having a good time with your friends... its normal its Saturday don't complain about people being on a forum your going ot shout complaints at.
I've decided that your posts aren't worth my time, so I'm not going to bother even reading that.
hounsell wrote:Frankly, the whole scenario could have been a lot worse.
Zimmy went out to prove a point, not seek revenge. If he had, we probably wouldn't have this forum here now. The flaw was significant enough for Zimmy to be able to wipe the entire forum (delete the files and the DB).

Now, he copied it, with questionable motives, but really, things could be worse. It's better that we still have this forum, than not have it for a while as Andy reconstructs everything (though I know he keeps regular backups, it'd still be more hassle)

It's also best that it happened now, and by someone who just had to prove a point, than in the future, when the forum is larger and by someone who is seeking revenge.
You hit the nail on the head there mate, good to see someone on the staff actually agrees with me on that point.
Last edited by Koptor on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lol, internet

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

same here obviously wasnt going anywhere, at least we could agree there.

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

Koptor wrote:

You hit the nail on the head there mate, good to see someone on the staff actually agrees with me on that point.
hounsell generally has a clue.

Koptor

Post by Koptor »

Zimmy wrote:
Koptor wrote:

hounsell generally has a clue.
Seems to be a rare occurence on this forum, lol
lol, internet