Cairo Screenshots?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Namronia

Cairo Screenshots?

Post by Namronia »

I think i recently found some Cairo Screenshots.

And I dont mean Cairo as NT 4, I mean Cairo before it got to NT 4, it was planned as a new OS with a new Kernel before.

Here those screens were:

http://ascii24.com/news/specials/articl ... 4-004.html?

Are that real Cairo or just NT 4 Beta screens? I wonder mainly because theres no "Start" at the startbutton

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Looks real, but we could do with some full-size pictures. I don't think it's just an NT4 beta; the earliest of those are probably just going to be a lot like NT3.51 with NewShell (going by NewShell being a test version of the Windows NT4 shell. Also, NT3.51 was completed in 1995, around the time Windows 95 was released, and the Explorer shell had already looked as it did in the RTM version for a full year.

So it might be a proper build of Ciaro (which I reckon actually exist, based on how long 'development' lasted), or it might be just mock-up demos; supported, meybe, by how the three pictures look like they were photographed from a presentation.
Long days, and pleasant nights.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

Well yeah, in NT 4 Source Code I found files saying ca.:

"Cairo - Copyright 1989"

(I dont know the exact Texts, but the copyright and something with Cairo is right)

Im gonna search for that text again.
!IF 0

Copyright 1989 Microsoft Corporation

Module Name:

cairobld.mk

Abstract:

This file is included from all of the cairo sources files. It
is handy for doing things like turning off precompiled headers
to get around compiler bugs, and other such global activities.

Notes:

We define _OLE32_ so that when building ole32.dll we don't have
DECLSPEC_IMPORT defined (see objbase.h)

BUGBUG: BillMo: remove NEWPROPS before checkin.

!ENDIF

CAIRO_PRODUCT=1

C_DEFINES= \
$(C_DEFINES) \
-D_TRACKLINK_=1 \
-DNOEXCEPTIONS \
-DINC_OLE2 \
-DFLAT \
-DWIN32=300 \
-D_CAIRO_=300 \
-DCAIROLE_DISTRIBUTED \
-DNEWPROPS \
-DDCOM \
-DMSWMSG \
-DDCOM_SECURITY

# DECLSPEC_IMPORT control (see objbase.h)
!if "$(MINORCOMP)"=="com" || "$(MINORCOMP)"=="stg" || "$(MINORCOMP)"=="ole232" || "$(MINORCOMP)"=="propset"
C_DEFINES= \
$(C_DEFINES) \
-D_OLE32_
!endif

BLDCRT= 1

USE_CRTDLL= 1

GPCH_BUILD=cairo

teriaki 511

Post by teriaki 511 »

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... n&ie=UTF-8

hurray for google translate, too bad thats all we got are screens

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

They look too good to be mockups, therefore I would vote legit. However, I kind of want to say that this predates newshell. Don't forget, some chicago builds had the flag-only start button.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

Zimmy wrote:They look too good to be mockups, therefore I would vote legit. However, I kind of want to say that this predates newshell. Don't forget, some chicago builds had the flag-only start button.
Well yes, but they dont have a working taskbar

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Zimmy wrote:They look too good to be mockups, therefore I would vote legit. However, I kind of want to say that this predates newshell. Don't forget, some chicago builds had the flag-only start button.
That's what I'm saying. It looks like it represents an earlier stage in the shell's development, maybe equivalent to somewhere Chicago 78 and 81, but it seems likely that maybe they were developing the two things in parallel for a time, trying to work to the same end, until some point where they thought it was too much effort? Remember Windows and WindowsNT were developed apart until 2001.
Long days, and pleasant nights.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Cairo was the codename for Windows NT 4.0, but back in the early 90's, it was a codename for a new project Microsoft was working on, which included many things, one of which was even what was later planned to be WinFS. The source of these screenshots also seems pretty reliable.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

Cairo was not more than the NT's shell codename ...

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

Namronia wrote:Cairo was not more than the NT's shell codename ...

& that's exactly all is was, people who insist on claiming it to be the codename
for the operating system itself are posting nonsense, & do so like they have any idea...
I've said for a long time that it was just the shells codename, but it seems to continually
fall on deaf ears, as if people simply want to "beleive" it was otherwise...

We need a Mythbusters section here, & this belongs in it, along with the codename
for the usb supplement for osr2/2.1, which was codenamed detroit...

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

KenOath wrote:
Namronia wrote:Cairo was not more than the NT's shell codename ...

& that's exactly all is was, people who insist on claiming it to be the codename
for the operating system itself are posting nonsense, & do so like they have any idea...
I've said for a long time that it was just the shells codename, but it seems to continually
fall on deaf ears, as if people simply want to "beleive" it was otherwise...

We need a Mythbusters section here, & this belongs in it, along with the codename
for the usb supplement for osr2/2.1, which was codenamed detroit...
wow nice

well, the idea of a "mythbuster" section sounds good, there are many myths to destroy

thanks for the answer

edit: @Ken, do you know the real codename of nt4?

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

What's funny is that those screenshots don't look anything like Chicago, yet the final version of NT 4 used a GUI very similar to the final of Windows 95.