HP ZX6000 (Itanium Workstation)

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Mustapha

HP ZX6000 (Itanium Workstation)

Post by Mustapha »

So I finally got an HP ZX6000 Itanium Workstation with 4GB RAM and 2 1.5GHZ Itanium 2 Processors.

Specifications:
4GB RAM
HDD: 76GB SCSI HDD
Video: ATI Radeon 7000 VE

Speaking of that video card, Anyone know of more recent drivers than the default MS drivers/drivers on HP's website? The drivers on HP's site/default MS drivers seem to have issues with fading when shadows are enabled and performacne in general. The card itself is not great, I'll probably replace it eventually with a supported quadro or firegl.

Eventually, I'll try Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Itanium SP2. (<3 Technet Subscription)

And now, for some Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, Version 2003 Screenshots..

What other screenshots should I take?

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

I don't know if there are any other screenshots that I need but I do have one question: does 64-bit have any noticeable speed difference?

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Oooh, Nice. Someone with an Itanium PC. I've always wondered what an Itanium build of Longhorn looks like
I might put one (I have 4051 and 4074) on the server, if you wouldn't mind installing it and taking a few screenshots, I wonder how limited it is compared to the x86 versions..

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

mdogg wrote:I don't know if there are any other screenshots that I need but I do have one question: does 64-bit have any noticeable speed difference?
The Itanium is only significantly faster if used with a certain type of applications AFAIK that is really optimized for it, otherwise it's probably decent. It's slow when running x86 code, though.

Frozenport
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

Are you running xp ia64 or x64?
What I would really like to see is a photo of the task manager, I was wondering if it shows the pointer character for 32bit processes...

Also have you been able to compare its performance on optomized applications compared to say intel Zeons that are optomized for x64?
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

@Frozenport
It's XP IA64 of course. x64 is different and the Itanium won't run it.

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

empireum wrote:
mdogg wrote:I don't know if there are any other screenshots that I need but I do have one question: does 64-bit have any noticeable speed difference?
The Itanium is only significantly faster if used with a certain type of applications AFAIK that is really optimized for it, otherwise it's probably decent. It's slow when running x86 code, though.
Itanium has a very complicated architecture. The CPU is divided into five functional areas, each executing a different subset of the instruction set. Its execution unit can thus run multiple instructions at once, provided they run on different parts of the CPU. In order for that to happen, instructions must be ordered very carefully, so writing good IA64 compilers (or assembly code) is a very tricky process.

dukzcry

Re: HP ZX6000 (Itanium Workstation)

Post by dukzcry »

Mustapha
Nice!
Some more shots (not mine) of rx2600 (in this case; with AGP riser from zx6000), introducing maxed CPUs, RAM, ATI FireGL X1 with driver and 10 GbE adapter. :OD On second shot you may been noticed that SP2 is "brought in", i've posted how to do it already.

Image Image

P.S.: The clock software on shots is called Nixie Clock, if anyone got interested. It's fairly often may be seen on shots of IRIX OS from hobbyist users.

UltimateGTR
Donator

Re: HP ZX6000 (Itanium Workstation)

Post by UltimateGTR »

Nice share Mustapha! :) And seems Windows Update for IA-64 platform only stays at v4.