Let's save XP!

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
kontini

Let's save XP!

Post by kontini »

XP petitioners: It’s time to raise the white flag...

Source: All About MS

logicaL

Post by logicaL »

Why do people even try these petitions? Vista has already sold 120 Million copies. I don't think Microsoft cares about XP anymore.

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

...not to mention that Microsoft could care less about any type of "petition". LOL....it'll never happen. Move on and and use Vista.
Last edited by 4tified on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

This isn't news, and it isn't gonna work.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

kontini

Post by kontini »

Men, I'll move to se7en, not Vista, but I love XP as MS hates it.

I'm really sorry for the topic in the wrong section, but I thought it was a news.

P.S. I don't mind about MS marketing.
Last edited by kontini on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kontini

Post by kontini »

These are the reasons:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMVqTTUs ... re=related

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

4tified wrote:...not to mention that Microsoft could care less about any type of "petition". LOL....it'll never happen. Move and and use Vista.
Yeh, it's not a big deal really - XP's been around for so long that there's millions of copies already out there, if you really wanted one to replace Vista with on a new PC after this date you could always get hold of a second-hand one.

Raiker

Post by Raiker »

Will never participate in this. Basically the same conservative, old-fashioned opinions that we saw years and years ago after every Windows release.
Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi

XX55XX

Post by XX55XX »

I think people also cried when Windows XP came out to replace Windows ME and 98.

It's too bloated; it's too new; it's not compatible with my hardware and software... We've heard it all before.

And the Windows 7 launch will be no different. You'll (along with thousands of people overtly critical of Microsoft) probably be begging for Vista to come back when that comes out. Oh, the irony.

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

XX55XX wrote:I think people also cried when Windows XP came out to replace Windows ME and 98.

It's too bloated; it's too new; it's not compatible with my hardware and software... We've heard it all before.

And the Windows 7 launch will be no different. You'll (along with thousands of people overtly critical of Microsoft) probably be begging for Vista to come back when that comes out. Oh, the irony.
Amen.

Vista is a really good OS, but you need the hardware to run it and the patience to learn something new. If you have neither of those, than you might as well stay with XP. I was critical of Vista too through it's Beta 2 and RC stage, but I decided to stick with it regardless, and I'm glad I did.

logicaL

Post by logicaL »

kontini wrote:These are the reasons:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMVqTTUs ... re=related
I lol'd at that.

#10, so do Linux and Mac computers (when moving system stuff)
#9, XP is even more dangerous since every hacker already knows all the holes (and when its obsolete, no more patches!)
#8 Same price as XP (for OEM and retail)
#7 Um, DX10? Aero? Updates?
#6 Driver support isn't Vista's problem, its everyone else's.
#5 I've run it on Sempron 2500+ with 512MB of Ram and it ran fine. It was released in 07, so the hardware from 07+ is best.
#4 lol Vista is stable, you want instability, go use some off-base Linux Distro.
#3 All games for XP work, also only platform for DX10. If you wanna run CnC:RA get The First Decade or a 98SE install.
#2 Software compatibility is always a problem with a new OS, upgrade and move on.
#1 Vista is fine if you run it on decent hardware. 2GB of RAM can be had for $35...

Sorry if I sound a bit condescending, but its something I really loathe about hearing about. Vista is fine. Everyone was complaining about XP when it came out. What are alot of people using now? XP.

OG

Post by OG »

I agree 100%. Most people who slate Vista are of the bandwagon variety and the closest they've been to it is listening to someone else who hasn't used it either whining about how bad it is. The biggest problem with Vista has nothing to do with Microsoft, its Nvidia, Creative and all the other peice of [censored] manufacturers who will use any excuse to flog you new hardware by pretending its the OS that is incompatable, when really any incompatability is determined by accountants looking after shareholders rather than the company supporting customers. The whole Creative SB/Xfi driver developement for Vista, or lack thereof, is testiment to that.

People moaned becuase of XP's lack of security, then when MS beefed it up with the advanced firewall and UAC, people just moaned about that too. You simply cannot please all of the people all of the time, and people hate change, even when it is for the better.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

nVidia are probably the worst for making Vista look bad. A survey by Microsoft showed that they were the cause for something like 20% of BSODs. Intel and AMD/ATi were around the 10% mark.

TechRat8r

Post by TechRat8r »

I personally am going to have to go XP all the way home on this one.
Vista does have some beefed up security, though. I've totally noticed that.

InsaneNutter

Post by InsaneNutter »

People will be campaigning to save Vista in a few years time

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

hounsell wrote:nVidia are probably the worst for making Vista look bad. A survey by Microsoft showed that they were the cause for something like 20% of BSODs. Intel and AMD/ATi were around the 10% mark.
it was higher than that i think

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

vista is really not all that bad, the only problem i have with it is the poorly thought out and uncreative interface.

And i have a question for the person who started this thread:
Have you used vista, for how long?

James

Post by James »

hounsell wrote:nVidia are probably the worst for making Vista look bad. A survey by Microsoft showed that they were the cause for something like 20% of BSODs. Intel and AMD/ATi were around the 10% mark.
Wrong, Infact, on my Vista machine, I havent had a single BSoD!

But I dropped to XP

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

WildEye001 wrote:
Wrong, Infact, on my Vista machine, I havent had a single BSoD!

But I dropped to XP
It doesn't make a difference that you haven't had a BSoD.. The fact (as reported by Microsoft) is most BSoDs of Vista are caused by nVidia drivers.

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

TechRat8r wrote:I personally am going to have to go XP all the way home on this one.
Try again. Their "beefier security" is also prone to a crapton of exploits.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Zimmy wrote:
TechRat8r wrote:I personally am going to have to go XP all the way home on this one.
Try again. Their "beefier security" is also prone to a crapton of exploits.
I disable all the security. I think its pointless but most of all annoying. XP has given me no troubles with no security so why should Vista?

Corny Cole

Post by Corny Cole »

The only thing I have against Vista is UAC. If I turn it off, it won't annoy me, but some of my software won't start without it.

Arths

Post by Arths »

I think we need to save XPs because peoples like me who have old PCs can't install vista

And I don't have enough money for buy a computer , i'm a teen

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

arthmx wrote:I think we need to save XPs because peoples like me who have old PCs can't install vista

And I don't have enough money for buy a computer , i'm a teen
No one's forcing you to upgrade since Microsoft still fully support Windows XP. They'll go into "extended support" in 2009 and that's when they'll want you to upgrade. You'll have plenty of time to earn some $$$ between now and then to get a new computer. Besides, even when mainstream support is over, still, no one's forcing you to upgrade.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

Well, Nathan Lineback still runs Windows 95...
http://toastytech.com/about/computers.html

Extended Support for that ended in 2001, and it still works fine.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"