OEM recovery media?

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
thepwrtank18

OEM recovery media?

Post by thepwrtank18 »

I don't see why OEM recovery media shouldn't be allowed for archival.

For some machines, you can't find the original discs anywhere online, and official support sites just redirect you to the Windows 10 download screen, despite the disc being for Windows 7, for example.

Additionally, the discs likely have software and artwork that can't be found online through the manufacturer's website. (Admittedly, this started to die down with Windows 8 and up.)

YourAverageJoe

Re: OEM recovery media?

Post by YourAverageJoe »

Definitely some good points to consider, though I can’t help but feel that it won’t be since the Internet Archive already serves as a repository for this sort of media. Mix that in with the fact we aren’t accepting of any driver support CDs which would also include such specialty software seeing as how they often pertain to one particular model if not a series.
hOI!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!!!

thepwrtank18

Re: OEM recovery media?

Post by thepwrtank18 »

With IA getting under continuous legal trouble, it's hard to tell how long IA will last before they fall to all the corporations that want them gone, with archived CD's and DVD's unfortunately being caught in the crossfire.