Newbe who needs help installing OS/2 Warp 4.52

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
m7hacke

Newbe who needs help installing OS/2 Warp 4.52

Post by m7hacke »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 on a Dell OptiPlex 580 with an AMD Athlon II X2 B26 3.2Ghz processor, 232GB HDD, and 8 GB DDR3 of RAM.

I download the two CD disk iso files from the below URL and burned them into CD-R's using Nero 9. My regular PC can read them fine.
https://winworldpc.com/product/os-2-war ... 2-warp-452

I booted the computer with a Windows XP CD so I could get to a command prompt where I used the DISKPART utility. I created a volume of 350 MB (I read this was good for OS/2 Warp 4.52) and formatted it as FAT32. I rebooted the computer using the OS/2 Warp 4.52 Boot disk (not the Client disk) and I get "OS/2" in the upper left corner of the screen. it disappears after a few seconds and the computer reboots. It is then stuck in this circle of displaying "OS/2" and rebooting over and over.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I have tried to be as specific as possible.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

vbdasc

Re: Newbe who needs help installing OS/2 Warp 4.52

Post by vbdasc »

Many things could go wrong. but this one seems especially glaring, IMHO
m7hacke wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:20 am
I created a volume of 350 MB (I read this was good for OS/2 Warp 4.52) and formatted it as FAT32.
Formatting a 350Mb partition with FAT32? And for use with OS/2? Why? You should've formatted it as plain old FAT16.

P.S. As far as I can remember, newer versions/fixpaks of OS/2 Warp 4, like the one you're using, have partial and flaky support of FAT32 (in contrast to older versions, which have no FAT32 support at all) and may be confused by FAT32's presence, eventually leading to all kinds of problems.

m7hacke

Post by m7hacke »

Thank you for responding.

I read somewhere that it should be FAT32. I really don't have any idea what I am doing. I formatted it as just FAT and that did not work either. Will DISKPART let me format it as FAT16?

elmobay

Post by elmobay »

The forums at OS/2 World may be a resource:

https://www.os2world.com/

m7hacke

Post by m7hacke »

Thank you for your help, but I have decided to give up on this endeavor. I have restored that machine to Windows 10 Pro.

This thread can be deleted if you want.