My Windows 7 M1 Experiences

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
hougtimo

My Windows 7 M1 Experiences

Post by hougtimo »

As 6519.1 has now been leaked, I thought I'd publish some of my screenshots that I have been taking over the last month or so of this build & share my experiences.

I installed on real hardware | Athlon64 3200+, 1gb DDR400, Various and Assorted SATA HDDs

Installation
Installation is very much like Vista's, with some extra graphicy bits & different wording. The entire installation process took just over 20mins to complete. Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots of this as it was on real hardware and no camera to hand!

Setting up
Once 7 has installed and booted for the first time it starts to check various peices of hardware and updates as it goes through (this replaces the initial Experience Index Rating in Vista). You are then asked to fill in details for the computer (Network name, users etc...) and then go to fill in Homegroup details (unfortunately this feature doesn't yet work. It looks like it will be replacing part of the networking settings - screens later on).

First Boot To Desktop
Once 7 boots into the desktop, you're presented with a desktop very much like Vistas with some differences. The gadgets are displayed directly onto the desktop with no gradient background to the sidebar. The Gadgets seem to be more integrated and built in to 7's shell - which is nice (and about time!)

Unfortunately if you add more gadgets the layout gets quite messy - it would be nice if they snapped to a grid etc...

The notification area of the taskbar has been worked on. The clock is still there along with Volume & Network notification icons. Next to them is a button which displays additional / 3rd party notification icons aswell as an interface for customising the way they are displayed.

There are some other differences throughout the UI. Primarily, new shell artwork in the control panel and various places throughout aswell as "Windows 7 Ultimate" branding. Aero glass also seems to remain transparent when windows are in full screen.

The Start Menu has had an bit of an overhaul & some useful features added. You can now pin things easily to the Start Menu. When you use the search facility, the results pane now takes over the entire width of the start menu.

Performance
In general, performance is similar to Vista SP1 - however I did notice that in 7 my graphics got a higher score & Aero ran much smoother overall. I have had no hangups or crashes yet - so seems fairly stable too. On first boot it uses slightly less resources that Vista and is much quicker to boot.

Networking Settings & Differences
The networking dialogs & settings seem to be getting an overhaul, and the name "Homegroups" seems to be popping up around the place. No real differences yet, apart from MS seems to have moved things from Vista's Networking Centre into seperate dialogs and screens. The network map doesn't work & some other bugs around it at the moment.

Media Player & Centre
An extensive overhaul of Media Centre & Player are also in the pipeline by the looks of things. The first thing I noticed was a Windows Media Centre Gadget, which launched Media Centre in a small screen to play music / slideshows. This works very nicely. There are also some other options added to Windows Media Player - not too much to report there yet though.

New Features
There are a few other new features popping up around the place. The Applications section in control panel now features a full program explorer, where you can view Programs, Gadgets, Updates etc... Quite a nice feature and it will be interesting to see how MS use it as 7's development progresses.

I think I have covered most of the main things here. I can't test the audio because 7 doesn't play with any of the drivers for my Realtek Audio.

Here's some other random screens I have taken

~HougTimo

Saarineames

Post by Saarineames »

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to post this.

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

I agree. Thanks for posting these screenshots and noting the differences. Gives people an insight into the developmental changes that we may not have drawn attention to yet.

hougtimo

Post by hougtimo »

4tified wrote:I agree. Thanks for posting these screenshots and noting the differences. Gives people an insight into the developmental changes that we may not have drawn attention to yet.
Thanks to both of you for the comments!

Yeah, I've read Thurrot's (is saying his name swearing here? not sure...) articles & various others and they only point out the obvious changes.

There are some quite nice suprises if you dig a bit.

I will be having some dll's open in reshack tonight, see what else I can find

sanyinet

Post by sanyinet »

yes beautiful...

Windows 7 Fantastic!

hougtimo

Post by hougtimo »

Some more screenshots:

When you are using explorer in Windows 7, the search bar updates with the name of the folder you're in:

Also noticed some system tools were not named properly on the start menu:

And been playing with some scaling!

Something I did notice with the scaling tools, is that you only have to log in again for the changes to take effect. In Vista, you have to restart. Would be interesting if we're gonna be seeing this more instead of restarting after changes.

~HougTimo

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Thanks for the guide.

While I've played with this build for a while, It's amazing to see all the little things add up together, and I could only install in a VM, so It's great to see what I was missing

hougtimo

Post by hougtimo »

...and finally, some bits and bobs I forgot earlier aswell as Media Centre.

Notice the blue shellstyle throughout Windows Explorer - Exciting!?

Compatibility Options

Overall, about 5 mb/s quicker at moving large files than Vista SP1 (On this machine, anyway)

Virtual Neptune in action!

~HougTimo

Saarineames

Post by Saarineames »

Cool, really diggin' the search bar details...
I will be having some dll's open in reshack tonight, see what else I can find
Yes, where the real fun begins!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

There's not that much to be found to be honest. I love the new User Folder icons though

Saarineames

Post by Saarineames »

Yeah, those new icons are nice. Saw those on dA somewhere. A little bit two-dimensional looking at times, but awesome nonetheless.

hougtimo

Post by hougtimo »

Got started on the resources:

http://rapidshare.com/files/121766386/W ... s.zip.html

As said, not a lot. But some nice stuff none-the-less. Some stuff I've found is probably in Vista, I can't be bothered comparing every bitmap!

I would have extracted some of the WMC .pngs (some LOVELY stuff in ehres.dll) but I'm too cheap to buy a png compatible resource viewer

Enjoy.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

hougtimo wrote:Also noticed some system tools were not named properly on the start menu:
I've had that happen with regular Vista installations too, the defrag and migration utilities getting the name of the actual app rather than the full shortcut name in the Start Menu. I've also had things where sometimes renaming the shortcuts that come preinstalled in the Accessories folder doesn't show up when it's in menu view, it's fine on my PC but I think it happened on my laptop (I'm fussy, eg I take out the pointless "Windows" from Remote Assistance and change all the "Center"s to British "Centre"s). There do seem to be a few bugs with the Start Menu in Vista, the XP one always seemed more "unbreakable"!

hougtimo

Post by hougtimo »

haha! I'm not the only one who changes "Center" to "Centre" then!!!

I'll have to watch out for the menu thing, never noticed it on Vista yet. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

hougtimo wrote:haha! I'm not the only one who changes "Center" to "Centre" then!!!
Hehe, cool, so it's not just me either! Yeh, that sort of thing just gets on my nerves a bit, it's annoying you can't rename the ones in Control Panel too. I tend to be quite picky about organising all my Start Menu shortcuts, and I'm a die-hard Classic Start Menu fan (shame MS made it a bit broken and full of old icons in Vista, it was awesome in XP)

hougtimo wrote:I'll have to watch out for the menu thing, never noticed it on Vista yet. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough
It doesn't always seem to happen, it's only sometimes on a fresh install - I haven't been able to work out any pattern with when it happens. It sticks if you rename them though at least.

imothep

Post by imothep »

hi,

Wow it looks nice

Radar-

my experience

Post by Radar- »

what the heck causes that? is that a bios date error?

sevan

Post by sevan »

LMAO.. Funny lil' bug there.

Morsolo

Post by Morsolo »

Wow, Microsoft is really attempting to go places with Win7.
And I say attempting because we all know what happened to Vista

(Not that Vista is bad, I love it)

I wish I had a Technet/MSDN subscription

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

sevan wrote:LMAO.. Funny lil' bug there.
That is not a bug. If you dont set your date back, you get that message after one hour using 7. Then you have 59minutes and 59 seconds till your 7 bluescreens.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

If you installed in a VM and installed tools, then it could be that the VM synchronised the BIOS date with your's.

Banisher

Post by Banisher »

I really like the new Applications section! Looks very promising so far.

Radar-

Post by Radar- »

"That is not a bug. If you dont set your date back, you get that message after one hour using 7. Then you have 59minutes and 59 seconds till your 7 bluescreens." Oh ok, I had thought thats what it is

Carl

Post by Carl »

DjRob wrote:If you installed in a VM and installed tools, then it could be that the VM synchronised the BIOS date with your's.
I'm having this problem on my VMware install. (So noob ) But is there a way to disable the VMware syncing of the date? As I can't seem to find any info on that . (I'm using workstation 6 )