HTTP(s) download system now live for everyone and FTP is being retired

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
Andy
Administrator

HTTP(s) download system now live for everyone and FTP is being retired

Post by Andy »

Good news everyone! The old FTP download system is finally being retired and will be replaced by downloading directly from the database via your web browser.

When will the FTP go offline?
We'll be decommissioning the FTP for downloading on Sunday 23rd April and we'll keep it just for uploads.

How do I download files now?
Directly from the database. Find the release you want, click into it and find the file. Click download and it will generate a token which you can then use to download.

Does everyone get access to the downloads now?
No. The access requirements are still in force. Anyone who has FTP access will automatically have access to download through the database.

Can I use a download manager?
Yes! You can use any you like but remember to keep your connection limit sensible. We recommend no more than 3-4 connections per file.

Let us know your thoughts, feedback, suggestions, etc. as we will be working on improving the HTTP system as time goes on.

Andy (Admin)

Xeno

Re: HTTP(s) download system now live for everyone

Post by Xeno »

Awesome!
There's just a small typo under the "Downloading" section of the FAQ:
"Once you exceed 25 download attemps" should say "attempts"

Darkstar
Donator

Re: HTTP(s) download system now live for everyone and FTP is being retired

Post by Darkstar »

I'm probably the only one who's sad to see FTP go, it was such a convenient interface to work with.

Oh well, I haven't been downloading a lot in recent times anyway

For example, there doesn't seem to be a way to download a whole "media_img" folder in one go. I have to go and click on every single floppy disk RAR file in turn (twice, because the download needs to be "prepared" or something). The FTP was much more convenient in that you could download a whole directory at once.

At least add checkboxes and a "download all marked" button. Or a "download basket" where you add files to and then download them in one go
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

AngeloTheo899

Post by AngeloTheo899 »

What I have noticed with the new system is that the speeds are way slower compared to the FTP, when I downloaded with the browser. I got around 300kb/s compared to the FTP, which I downloaded with the max I could get with my connection, which's around 2.something MB/s. Additionally, I first tried using aria2 to download this, which gave me this error:
Outside of that, it works very well!

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Currently with everyone trying the system speeds will be slower than normal, but they should improve. In our testing speeds over HTTP were better than the FTP.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

AngeloTheo899 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:54 am
Additionally, I first tried using aria2 to download this, which gave me this error:
you have to quote the download links because they contain spaces
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

AngeloTheo899

Post by AngeloTheo899 »

Darkstar wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:56 am
AngeloTheo899 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:54 am
Additionally, I first tried using aria2 to download this, which gave me this error:
you have to quote the download links because they contain spaces
That explains it. Thanks a lot!
Andy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:55 am
Currently with everyone trying the system speeds will be slower than normal, but they should improve. In our testing speeds over HTTP were better than the FTP.
Ah, that could be the issue. I will see how it downloads in a few days, I guess, especially when I get into a place with better network.

TheRadeonCloud

Post by TheRadeonCloud »

Looking forward to downloading something with this new download system!

Xeno

Post by Xeno »

Will the [Help] folder be added at some point? I've noticed that it is on the FTP but not in the database

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

This is awesome, great work folks! :) :) :)
Speeds for me are actually MUCH better than they were over FTP, between 3-5MB down instead of a little over 1 before. The interface is quite easy to use and it all looks quite professional. And it should be much more secure as well.
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Xeno wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:16 pm
Will the [Help] folder be added at some point? I've noticed that it is on the FTP but not in the database
It won't be added to the database. It may either be added to the site in some other way, or moved off BA and made public and linked on the forum. I have not decided yet what to do with it.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

Here's to new beginnings and old endings. Cheers lads.

voidp

Post by voidp »

It would be nice if the FTP wasn't decommissioned until the HTTP system has been thoroughly tested, even if only for read-only inspection...

For example, I browsed the HTTP database to /(Abandonware) Software Development Kits/PC (Downloads)/Microsoft Windows 98 DDK (1998-10). The page's File List is empty. However, using the FTP, there's indeed a media_install.rar file available. Jumping around, there seems to be many examples like this.

Andy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:48 am
Remember, you can also use a download manager with the HTTP system too!
Where can we find more information about this?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

We're not removing FTP until we resolve the issues identified.

You can use any download manager, just be sure to set it up with reasonable connection limits.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Well naturally we won't discontinue the FTP until all the major issues has been fixed. It is however surprising that none of these issues were reported to us during the beta testing. The testers either didn't report any issues, or they didn't download any of the releases that had missing files or broken references in them.

But we're working on these issues. But please do PM me or chat me on discord about any releases missing files and I'll take a look at them.

For the time being any releases with a + sign in the folder name doesn't work, so we're looking into that. I tried to fix that by renaming a bunch, but I forgot we have tons of releases with a + sign in the product name which makes it more complicated (C++ for example).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

WULover

Post by WULover »

What a nice improvement to BA! This download system will make it easier for users to download the releases they want.
Thank you for adding this :)
My laptop collection:
Compaq Presario 1200 12XL408A (Windows 2000), Compaq Armada 1573D (Windows 98SE), Compaq Presario 1207 (Windows 95B), Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDX (Windows 95C), HP NC6000 (Windows XP), Dell Latitude D620 (Windows XP/Vista), Dell Inspiron 1720 (Windows Vista), Compaq Presario 1200 12XL302 (Windows Me), Acer Aspire 1538G (Windows 8.1), Apple Powerbook G3 (I don't know the OS), Compaq Contura 400C (Windows 3.1).

Hello, Windows Me!

mastervmware13

Post by mastervmware13 »

Nice new feature! it s so much better than the old FTP server and i am having overall 2x the Download speed!

Thank you!

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

In light of this change, the name of the group should be updated.

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

will you be able to still browse the ftp after this decommisioning happens?

given that 1000 results bs is still gonna be there, i think this will be a nessecity

if not, please find a solution to go over 1000 results, like what i said before, certain content will be VERY difficult to find

ftp allows you to see all the content in those big folders (like /(Abandonware) Applications/PC (Windows and /(Abandonware) Games etc)

http doesnt because of this artifical limitation that locks it to 1000 results
Last edited by Windows Thunderstruck on Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

No it will be disabled for downloading. The database has a browsing function which follows the structure of the FTP.

As we have said before, give us a reason why the 1000 results limit is an issue and we'll review it. Nothing you have said so far is convincing enough and we have given you methods of working with it which you have dismissed. You're the only person with this complaint.

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

1. i asked if you could still browse the ftp for reference, wasnt asking about downloads because i already know whats gonna happen

2. in the folders i mentioned, you wont be able to download certain stuff unless you know the full name of it, like content located inside/(Beta) Applications/PC (thats because of keyword search limitations that causes it to display /(Beta) Applications/PC (Digital AND /(Beta) Applications/PC (Downloads) as well

maybe fix the keyword search too (if you can)
Last edited by Windows Thunderstruck on Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

1. No you won't be able to browse over FTP. We'll be removing that access entirely and it will be for uploading only.

2. OK now I see the issue, even if you use the browse section. In light of this, I have increased the limit from the browse and search sections to 2000 results. We can't increase it too high without the page becoming unresponsive due to the number of returned releases. As you dive into browsing adding in a category, platform and extra the number of returned results will drop. Eventually we can probably set up an advanced search feature too with multi-selects/drop downs.

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Random_User wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:59 am
In light of this change, the name of the group should be updated.
Also wondering about this.
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

AyamiOoruri29

Post by AyamiOoruri29 »

One of my suggestion: Would the group name will be "HTTP Access" or "HTTP Download Access"? Just wondering.
Discord: @Michelpuri#7783

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

AyamiOoruri29 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:45 pm
One of my suggestion: Would the group name will be "HTTP Access" or "HTTP Download Access"? Just wondering.
How is that relevant or even in any way important?