Help with compiling Ultrix V2.0 sources wanted

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
VAXorcist

Help with compiling Ultrix V2.0 sources wanted

Post by VAXorcist »

I want to build Ultrix V2.0 SAS media for all big VAX models from sources.

I've got the sources as well as the installation tape images and the MicroVAX SAS tape image available.
I've successfully installed Ultrix V2.0 on SIMH, but I need help for the compilation of the sources, e.g. where to restore the sources tape to and what other preparations are needed.

Can anyone please help?

P.S.
Is there no interest in "second hand" (images not personally taken from genuine installation tapes) images of installation tapes here at betarchive?

Darkstar
Donator

Re: Help with compiling Ultrix V2.0 sources wanted

Post by Darkstar »

I can only answer your second question:

> Is there no interest in "second hand" (images not personally taken from genuine installation tapes) images of installation tapes here at betarchive?

There is, but BA won't accept those. The best place to put them is on archive.org and link them here.

As for your first question, it's an interesting idea, one that I have never tried myself, if you find out anything please let us know.
Offtopic Comment
I hope you're using OpenSIMH and not that cursed 4.0 version by Mark with his retarded "f*ck-all-of-you" license :D
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

sunscreen
Donator

Re: Help with compiling Ultrix V2.0 sources wanted

Post by sunscreen »

/sub [sorry for thread necro, I somehow missed this]

I have built Ultrix 2.0 from sources (in a chroot on 4.0, because back then I only had binaries for MV2000 which wasn't yet emulated, and the source), and was able to create a bootable 2.0 installation, but I was never able to figure out how to generate installation media from it.

As far as I understand it wants you to provide some sort of template disk to install to, and then there's some magic that will turn that into a tape dist.

So if you figure that out, please report back ;)