MS antitrust case Windows build?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
nar002

MS antitrust case Windows build?

Post by nar002 »

So I remember hearing that during the IE Antitrust case, the DoJ's attorneys made a video or showed that IE being removed from Windows wouldn't actually hurt its performance, but couldn't find any videos or builds of it or anything, was one ever leaked? And if it didn't happen that way, what really happened with it?

I hope it's not a question that's too confusing, thanks for the help!

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: MS antitrust case Windows build?

Post by AlphaBeta »

They probably just used 98lite or something of similar nature to remove it. Nothing special really, the Explorer shell even after the Desktop Update still has graceful fallbacks for when MSIE is not present on the system.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

I think I recall hearing previously that only the desktop shortcut was removed, not IE itself. Not surprisingly, that had no effect on the performance or functionality of the OS.

As for what build was used, it was probably the RTM build of whatever version of Windows it was.

nar002

Post by nar002 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:41 pm
They probably just used 98lite or something of similar nature to remove it. Nothing special really, the Explorer shell even after the Desktop Update still has graceful fallbacks for when MSIE is not present on the system.
I'm curious what the fallbacks are? I thought they integrated IE pretty well in there, wasn't the control panel also a webpage technically?
Random_User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:40 pm
I think I recall hearing previously that only the desktop shortcut was removed, not IE itself. Not surprisingly, that had no effect on the performance or functionality of the OS.

As for what build was used, it was probably the RTM build of whatever version of Windows it was.
I hope that's not the case, I did hear about a shortcut but it was about Netscape installation and how it didn't put its shortcut on the desktop, was it this?

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

you'd probably end up with win95 type of navigation