How to update Windows XP normally

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
XylonJack
Donator

How to update Windows XP normally

Post by XylonJack »

This is a post I found on reddit r/windowsxp. I found that almost no one mentioned it here. The method mentioned in this post can make Windows XP get updates normally in 2022. This method has passed the test on one of my Windows XP Media Center SP3 computer. :)
Link:https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsxp/comm ... h_windows/

Edit: Correct sentence errors.

Fanta Shokata

Re: How to update Windows XP normally

Post by Fanta Shokata »

You can even update Office XP/2003/2007/2010 that way.
We stand with Ukraine

Windows315

Post by Windows315 »

Windows XP lost all its support in 2019, SP3 was probably continued due to its debut in 2008, I doubt that you could update Windows XP SP0 with this. And you used media center edition, it probably has some sort of support due to security.

XylonJack
Donator

Post by XylonJack »

Windows315 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:30 am
Windows XP lost all its support in 2019, SP3 was probably continued due to its debut in 2008, I doubt that you could update Windows XP SP0 with this. And you used media center edition, it probably has some sort of support due to security.
I don't think this method is applicable to Windows XP SP0.
I don't think my windows xp media center has some "special treatment". This method is effective for all windows xp sp3 at present.

xyz

Post by xyz »

I recommend to backup the whole softwaredistribution folder and wsusscn2.cab (sha1 signed versionfrom 2019, alternative source) after installing all updates. Who knows when MS will shut down or remove the updates from their servers. With a backup of the installation files and MiniTool offline mode (requires the wsusscn2.cab) you will be still able to update XP to the latest patchlevel.
To make sure you have all necessary updates downloaded, install .NET Framework 1.1,2.0,3.0,3.5SP1,4.0, Visual C++ Redistributables, IE8, POSready upodate hack and eventually WMP11 (if you dont want to keep 9, which imo fits better from design POV) before running Windows Update.

WindowsNeptune
Donator

Post by WindowsNeptune »

Hello friends, the following are some steps I have summarized myself to manually update the system to the latest after a fresh installation of Windows XP SP3.

1. Install Internet Explorer 8
2. Install Windows Media Player 11
3. Install Windows Search 4.0 (KB940157)
4. Install .NET Framework 3.5 and language pack, .NET 3.5 contains .NET 2.0 and 3.0
5. Install .NET Framework 4.0 and language pack
6. Install Windows Management Framework Core (KB968930), it contains PowerShell 2.0 etc.
7. Install Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288-v3)
8. Open CMD and run MSIExec /unregister, then MSIExec /regserver
8. Install Windows Update Agent 7.6
9. Use some third-party tool to update Root Certificates
10. Install Visual C++ Redistributable you need, the last version supported by Windows XP is Visual C++ Redistributable 2015-2019 (14.27.29114.0)
11. Install DirectX End-User Runtime
12. Modify registry to disguise the system as Windows Embedded POSReady 2009
13. Follow some tutorial like https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... 003.82538/ to update your system using Windows Update Mini Tool.

After I updated my system, I manually downloaded all the updates listed in the control panel for later installation. This process is painful.

WULover

Post by WULover »

There is another way to restore Windows Update / Microsoft Update in windows xp, really easily with less steps and programs / updates to install.
You can use IE6 with ProxHTTPSProxy v1.3 and cert updater.