Windows NT 3.5 setup error (VirtualBox)

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
ftosorciM

Windows NT 3.5 setup error (VirtualBox)

Post by ftosorciM »

Hello, I'm trying to install Windows NT 3.5 using VirtualBox. The setup goes ok until it asks for a driver called "BusLogic Family", I pressed "S" choosing the 3 "UltraStor" options until one of them works, but none did; then I pressed Enter to skip that driver, but the setup stopped again and it said:

"Setup is unable to locate the hard drive partition prepared by the MS-DOS portion of Setup.
When you run the MS-DOS Windows NT Setup program, you must specify a temporary drive that is supported by Windows NT. See your System Guide for more information.
Setup cannot continue. Press F3 to exit."

Then I restarted the VM and inserted a MS-DOS 6.22 bootdisc to make a FAT MS-DOS partition; and then I inserted the Windows NT 3.5 bootdisc again and did the steps it said, but the setup failed again.

These are my VM specs if they are required:

Name: Windows NT 3.5
Version: Windows NT 3.x
RAM: 96MB
Chipset: PIIX3
Video memory: 20 MB
Graphics: VboxVGA
3D: enabled
Storage: 1 floppy disc and 1 SCSI virtual hard disc (4GB)
Audio: SoundBlaster16
Network: NAT and Bridged

Darkstar
Donator

Re: Windows NT 3.5 setup error (VirtualBox)

Post by Darkstar »

You need a BusLogic driver on a floppy disk (image) for the SCSI harddisk. Good luck finding one though. I think I've only ever seen those for NT4 or newer versions...

It might be easier to switch VirtualBox to a different SCSI (or IDE) adapter for the harddisk. Or use a proper emulator like 86box
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ftosorciM wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:15 pm
"Setup is unable to locate the hard drive partition prepared by the MS-DOS portion of Setup.
When you run the MS-DOS Windows NT Setup program, you must specify a temporary drive that is supported by Windows NT. See your System Guide for more information.
Your boot floppies expect that WINNT.EXE has been run from MS-DOS to copy the system files before booting into the setup.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

ftosorciM

Post by ftosorciM »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm
ftosorciM wrote:
Your boot floppies expect that WINNT.EXE has been run from MS-DOS to copy the system files before booting into the setup.
I tried it using it with MS-DOS one with different virtual hard disc types rather than just SCSI, and it says that there is not a hard drive with enough space to install Windows NT (even though I did fdisk before running WINNT.EXE)

Fanta Shokata

Post by Fanta Shokata »

What MS-DOS boot disk did you use???
We stand with Ukraine

ftosorciM

Post by ftosorciM »

Fanta Shokata wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:27 pm
What MS-DOS boot disk did you use???
the 6.22 one

Fanta Shokata

Post by Fanta Shokata »

Did you format the hard drive before inserting NT 3.5 boot floppy???
We stand with Ukraine

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ftosorciM wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:21 pm
AlphaBeta wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm
ftosorciM wrote:
I tried it using it with MS-DOS one with different virtual hard disc types rather than just SCSI, and it says that there is not a hard drive with enough space to install Windows NT (even though I did fdisk before running WINNT.EXE)
Format it.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!