Stuck on "Setup is starting Windows Whistler"

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
anonymous74

Stuck on "Setup is starting Windows Whistler"

Post by anonymous74 »

I'm currently working on a project to install every Whistler beta build in VMware. (see: viewtopic.php?t=42831)
I'm using 6.5-7x compatibility for all builds, along with IDE drives for both CD and HDD. Most builds work fine, but for some reason on some builds I get the classic issue of Setup getting stuck while starting Windows Whistler. What build has this problem seems a bit random. The 2nd compile of build 2267 installs fine while the 1st one freezes at that point. Build 2276 has the same issue, both while starting from the CD (I know it's bugged) and while using the method of running WINNT.EXE from DOS. (After the first reboot the issue occurs). I've tried IDE CD-ROM, SCSI CD-ROM, IDE HDD, SCSI HDD, and even No HDD. I've tried a wide variety of compatibility modes on VMware as well. I know this is a common problem, but I can't find the root cause. Please help!
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Fanta Shokata

Re: Stuck on "Setup is starting Windows Whistler"

Post by Fanta Shokata »

Try upgrading from Windows 2000.
We stand with Ukraine

captainlinux8880

Post by captainlinux8880 »

Try use Virtual PC 2007 virtual machine.
Last edited by captainlinux8880 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captainlinux8880

Well, if you want to install this build specifically on VMware Workstation, try doing it following these instructions:

1) Try disable or remove the network adapter in your VMware virtual machine. With the help of a network adept, the virtual machine can access to the Internet and reset the date and time to the current one;
2) Try to reduce the amount of virtual RAM and use 1 virtual processor;
3) Try to disable ACPI. To do this, find the .vmx file and open it with notepad and add the following line there:

Code: Select all

acpi.present = "FALSE"
, then save the file and start your virtual machine.

Good luck! ;)

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Removing the network adapter didn't work.
I was already using one processor and 256MB of RAM, reducing to 128MB didn't work.
Disabling ACPI didn't work.

I tried upgrading from Windows 2000.
1: I ran setup from Win2k and it copied some files.
2: It rebooted into a bootpicker and I selected Whistler setup.
3: It said "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration"
4: Then it said "Starting Windows Whistler Setup"
5: When the loading bar reached the end it said "Please Wait" and then locked up.

I don't want to use another VM program, and Virtual PC won't even run on Windows 10 to begin with, the goal is to install in VMware, not another program.

This was all on 2267.1.idx01.000909-1503. BIOS Date was set correctly.
2276.1.Lab02_N.000928-2023 did the same thing when I tried to upgrade.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

captainlinux8880

Try downloading the ISO image from another site and set compatibility with VMware 5.x

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

I tried the WinWorld copy of 2276, it didn't even boot. I've been getting my images all from the FTP anyways, so it shouldn't cause a problem. I tried 5.x compatibility with 2267 and it still got stuck.

captainlinux8880

Build 2276 is indeed not bootable. You can try modifying the build by using boot files from a neighboring build (also you need replace the cdrom.sy_ file).

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Yeah, the BetaArchive copy does get to the "Setup is starting Windows Whistler" at least, the WinWorld copy just gives the error. Also, I can add 2296 to the list of builds I'm having this issue on.
Update: 2410 gave the same issue, disabling ACPI fixed it. I will get back on if this works on other builds. I swear it didn't work before!
Update 2: 2296 also seems to work so far with ACPI turned off.
Final Update: The checked/debug compile of 2267 and 2276 are now installed. Thanks for the help!

captainlinux8880

anonymous74 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:23 am
Yeah, the BetaArchive copy does get to the "Setup is starting Windows Whistler" at least, the WinWorld copy just gives the error. Also, I can add 2296 to the list of builds I'm having this issue on.
Update: 2410 gave the same issue, disabling ACPI fixed it. I will get back on if this works on other builds. I swear it didn't work before!
Update 2: 2296 also seems to work so far with ACPI turned off.
Final Update: The checked/debug compile of 2267 and 2276 are now installed. Thanks for the help!
I am glad your problem was resolved! I will be glad to help you again :)

ActivateYourTech

Post by ActivateYourTech »

To fix this, when it is saying press F6 at the start of the setup press F7. This should fix it.

hanhan188

Post by hanhan188 »

1.When setup list "Press F6 if you need to install SCSI and RAID third party",Crazy press F5
2.Select "Standard PC"
3.Press"Enter"