Modem Emulation for Virtual Machine Software

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
ATeamInc

Modem Emulation for Virtual Machine Software

Post by ATeamInc »

Windows 2000 includes direct serial-to-serial functionality which works between 2 virtual machines and a named pipe (such as \\.\pipe\win2000). However, it is limited to 19.2k on the server side and is not considered to be a full modem capable system, and you need to run 2000 server to be able to use internet (which is a pain to set up).

The idea of a virtual modem software capable of running under the host operating system comes from this concept: a modem would be created on a virtual serial port (such as COM2) and it would be possible to pass-through this virtual serial port directly to a virtual machine. The modem would act like a regular modem and would allow dial-up for internet access or local area network capability.

This software right here [did] the exact same thing. And it worked.

Until I forgot how to set it up properly. In theory, it should be running on the host and on a virtual machine. Once the machine that I want to dial up from attempts to use the modem, it would "dial" the virtual machine from the host, and it should be able to provide internet access. But it does not work. I get that the remote computer did not "pick up" every time I tried it. It seems something is missing from my configuration.

Does anyone have experience with this concept? There's no need to be limited to that piece of software - it just happened to work for this purpose before. And yes, trial version. This sounds interesting, but I still haven't tried it out yet.

ATeamInc

Re: Modem Emulation for Virtual Machine Software

Post by ATeamInc »

Update: That software alone won't cut it. And I still can't get it to work.
What is missing from the configuration (other than those damn modems connecting to each other which I can't get to work) is some sort of "server" that receives the connection on one end. This VOGONS article is perfect for the purpose, however, it assumes real modems and physical hardware. I was wondering if a similar thing could be done on "virtual modems". What's missing though is the software needed to create those modems.