[OFFER] Chicago build 89e

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
Overdoze

[OFFER] Chicago build 89e

Post by Overdoze »

From warez, dated 17th March 1994. Original SUWIN.EXE would crash even with the correct betasite ID and password (same as 81/90c), so I replaced it with the provided cracked copy that works. Original has been renamed to SUWIN.OLD.

Looks like there's some minor differences compared to 90c, haven't really investigated it beyond first install yet. This is now the earliest leaked build to feature the new Microsoft Paint instead of the old Paintbrush. Download here.

EDIT: The original SUWIN.EXE has been confirmed to crash even on real hardware, so this doesn't seem like an emulator problem.
Last edited by Overdoze on Wed May 06, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Lucas Brooks

Re: [OFFER] Chicago build 89e

Post by Lucas Brooks »

WOW! Thanks for the leak! Here is the rebuilt ISO with correct timestamps and directory structure (and the original SUWIN.EXE): https://mega.nz/file/lFlzHRrY#T02ExV3p_ ... ww2MMj3MHU

German

Post by German »

Does this build have links to "Windows 94"?

It seems to me that this build was at one time a public (recompilation of" e ").

nerd70

Post by nerd70 »

Lemme point out that having the original SUWIN.EXE makes this build uninstallable...

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

German wrote:Does this build have links to "Windows 94"?

It seems to me that this build was at one time a public (recompilation of" e ").
Nope... Too bad.

Edit: This build is the first leaked one to have the boot screen stored in WINBOOT.SYS, the first build with MS-DOS 7.00 reference and the first build to support creation of an EBD. It is a pretty interesting build but not as interesting as 90c in my opinion.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

ComputerHunter wrote:WOW! Thanks for the leak! Here is the rebuilt ISO with correct timestamps and directory structure (and the original SUWIN.EXE): https://mega.nz/file/lFlzHRrY#T02ExV3p_ ... ww2MMj3MHU
Anything in particular that's wrong with timestamps in this case too?

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

PlyrStar93

Post by PlyrStar93 »

Overdoze wrote: Anything in particular that's wrong with timestamps in this case too?
The folders it seems... 2nd archive is the "rebuilt" one

Upon second check, suwin.exe timestamp is different between the two archive. The other files are several hours off but it appears they are on a different timezone.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Overdoze wrote:
ComputerHunter wrote:WOW! Thanks for the leak! Here is the rebuilt ISO with correct timestamps and directory structure (and the original SUWIN.EXE): https://mega.nz/file/lFlzHRrY#T02ExV3p_ ... ww2MMj3MHU
Anything in particular that's wrong with timestamps in this case too?
You agree Chicago build 73f is original, right? By comparing identical files, you'll see that all of them are a few hours off. That was caused by zipping as ZIP files in the 90s always use local timestamps. All I have done is adding/subtracting offsets until timestamps of identical files match.

Don't worry, I am not here trying to claim all the credits - in fact, I don't mind everything I upload gets credited to other people. I do what I see is right and surely an ISO created by ImgBurn does not sound right.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

ComputerHunter wrote:You agree Chicago build 73f is original, right? By comparing identical files, you'll see that all of them are a few hours off. That was caused by zipping as ZIP files in the 90s always use local timestamps. All I have done is adding/subtracting offsets until timestamps of identical files match.
So if I understand you correctly, you think that all these early builds must have had the exact same modified time, just different date? What lead you to that conclusion? And this was actually packed with ARJ, not ZIP.

Your theory falls apart as soon as you compare 58s and 73f, both original dumps. Identical files have different timestamps there, because timestamps don't change only when the file is last written too. They can change for other reasons too that you're not considering here. So it's just more guess work that doesn't serve any practical purpose.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Overdoze wrote: So if I understand you correctly, you think that all these early builds must have had the exact same modified time, just different date? What lead you to that conclusion? And this was actually packed with ARJ, not ZIP.
When did I say different date? 89e is 11 hours ahead... Zipping is not the only way timestamps can change... FAT uses local time as well and FAT is one of the most commonly used file-system in 1994. ARJ also uses local time if I recall correctly. BTW, why not provide the original ARJ archives?
Overdoze wrote:Your theory falls apart as soon as you compare 58s and 73f, both original dumps. Identical files have different timestamps there, because timestamps don't change only when the file is last written too. They can change for other reasons too that you're not considering here. So it's just more guess work that doesn't serve any practical purpose.
Seriously, compare identical files from 58s and 73f, there are identical files with same timestamp. Lets use SYSLOGO.RLE as an example, it is the same in 58s and 73f and compare it to 89e, it is exactly 11 hours off. Since the file itself and the timestamp is identical in both original dumps, and it is 11 hours ahead (no other differences) in build 89e, it is safe to conclude that happened because of file operation. If one file is 11 hours ahead, all files should be 11 hours ahead and there are multiple identical files (to 73f) exactly 11 hours ahead to consolidate the claim.

BTW, here is something interesting, maybe related to ester-eggs:

Code: Select all

531	Sidewalks are for walking, not parking
532	Tip of the day:  There is NOOOO tip if the day
533	I didn't ask for violence.... -- (Steven Segal)
534	It's almost Beta 1 ... do you know where 32-bit bunny is?
535	RonG has left the building
536	Mrs. Silverbug, this button is for you
537	'80 hours a week, and all I got was this headband...' -Brad's report
538	>>> Censored quote <<<
539	Friends don't let friends run LOR
540	DennisAd, turn your sound card down!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

it is safe to conclude
When something is only "safe to conclude" but not really 100% certain and at the same time has no practical effect, does it really matter so much that you must always come up with a "fixed" ISO? All this does is create multiple copies of the same thing that function exactly the same, and neither is original, so it's completely arbitrary which is used in the end. The only real effect that can come out of this is cause confusion. And once an original dump is provided, both previous copies become garbage that then continues to circulate around the internet for eternity.

Restoring the original SUWIN.EXE? Yeah, fair change, I wasn't expecting my ISO to be FTP-acceptable due to cracked SUWIN anyway. Creating the ISO with CDIMAGE instead of whichever other tool? OK, but doesn't practically matter in vast majority of cases if it works all the same. Renaming the main folder to RETAIL? Virtually useless, but OK. Changing time stamps? Come on. Now we're reaching level ridiculous of pedantry.

Kimberly5384

Post by Kimberly5384 »

Honestly, I agree with that. A lot of people used to ask me on discord for original copies since I believe they got replaced with all these fixed iso files.
Legends say if you read this signature, you'll come across good fortune. Lucky you!

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Overdoze wrote:
it is safe to conclude
When something is only "safe to conclude" but not really 100% certain and at the same time has no practical effect, does it really matter so much that you must always come up with a "fixed" ISO?
Of course nobody can be 100% certain but it is more likely original because we have something supporting it. I know it serves no purpose to the end user but it is still something worth preserving.
Overdoze wrote:Restoring the original SUWIN.EXE? Yeah, fair change, I wasn't expecting my ISO to be FTP-acceptable due to the cracked one anyway. Renaming the main folder to RETAIL? Virtually useless, but OK. Changing time stamps? Come on.
By comparing the "cracked" SUWIN.EXE to 90c's SUWIN.EXE, the "cracked" one looks more original than the "original" one... All pre-1xx Chicago builds are stored in the RETAIL directory on the CD-ROM so why is it useless? I am 99.99% sure the original 89e was in a folder named RETAIL. I see nothing wrong with correcting timestamps... especially there is a good chance of restoring them to their original state.

andrian1994

Post by andrian1994 »

Hmm interesting, thank you for the leak

Sent from my Redmi 6 using Tapatalk

“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

Zheng He
Donator

Post by Zheng He »

The "cracked" SUWIN.EXE might actually be original, while the "original" one is corrupted.

Compared to the "original" one, only offset 0x6FDC-0x6FFF is different. Decompiled in IDA Pro, I immediately noticed that the "original" one has meaningless ASM codes that cause "General Protection Fault" during installation.
You don't want to access FFFF:0000 under virtual 8086 mode right? Plus, that "call far ptr 2677h:37F8h" looks meaningless, too. The file size is far too small given the reference of code segment 2677h. I don't think Microsoft would, or the compiler/linker would, do things like this!

Therefore, I switched back to Hex view and found something wrong with the "original" one:
At the end of the different area, the "original" one showed that "9A F8 37 77 26" is an instruction, while the "cracked" one indicated that "66 83 7E F8 37" is an instruction. This is the origination of the "call far ptr 2677h:37F8h" error. Since the different area ends with "66 83 7E" (or "16 50 9A" in the "original" one), I don't think the "cracked" one actually contains a crack code here.

Here I made an assumption, that is, the "cracked" one does not contain any crack code. In general, if you want to crack some program like this, you would either return a "valid" value immediately, or insert some JMP instruction to execute crack code elsewhere. The "cracked" one didn't show any sign of this. In order to verify my assumption, I installed the build with "cracked" SUWIN.EXE and invalid Beta ID.
It turned out as expected that the system gave me an error complaining the Beta ID or password is incorrect. At this point it's sure that the "cracked" SUWIN.EXE does not contain any crack code.

Let's see some external evidence.

CHIC-FIX.ZIP     96392  05-22-94  Replacement for Chicago April Beta.  
                                  If you experience GPF when trying
                                  to install (and you probably will)
                                  replace suwin.exe with this one.
This is the information from the SUWIN.EXE fix originally on scenelist. There is no any indication that this is a "crack". It's just a "fix". ("GPF" stands for "General Protection Fault")

So back to the "original" file itself. The different area seems to contain a repeated pattern: "8D 86 F6 FE 16 50". This hex-string repeated 3 times in the different area!
Given the repeated pattern and distortion in this area, I think the "original" file is actually corrupted, while the "cracked" file is in fact original. This error seemed to occur during the process of data transfer, like from CD drive to hard drive, or from a computer to another via Internet (unlikely, since no one wants to transfer big uncompressed files via Internet). It's unclear what caused the corruption, but it's certain that this area was fed with fake data.

In conclusion, the "original" SUWIN.EXE is corrupted, while the "cracked" one is actually not cracked but original. Therefore, it's safe to just replace the old SUWIN.EXE with the new one.

As for repacking the image to make it more "original", I don't think it's a good idea. As long as it's not original, any modification is totally unnecessary which just makes it further from original. In my opinion, we need to leave it as original as possible, on the premise that it doesn't contain any error which makes it unusable.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Thanks for looking into this, I guess that explains it then.

vlad557776

Post by vlad557776 »

Great, a brand new build of pre-1xx Chicago! Not a holy find like Usability Testing builds or builds with Old Setup instead of a new 58s-styled one, but good.
The developer of Win1 Packet - https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40233
The developer of IM1024 INSTALL.BAT Patch: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40317

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

That was mentioned in the 90c leak IIRC...

From what I can tell, 58s was actually not the first Chicago scene leak:

WIN41.ZIP         272  06-05-93  WINDOWS v4.0 Beta     FAKE  FAKE  !!
Could be build 40e or something like that... who knows...

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Notice the tiny filesize and that it's been marked as fake. There's probably a reason for that.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Overdoze wrote:Notice the tiny filesize and that it's been marked as fake. There's probably a reason for that.
That doesn't necessarily mean it was fake, the BBS could have thought it was a fake due to being a new version of Windows.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

No, the BBS probably thought it was fake because the file is only 272 bytes large.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

If you compare 89e's "fixed" SUWIN.EXE to 90c's, you'll notice that the code at that area is the same. Looks like that entire area got replaced by bytes at offset 5910-5933. It is now safe to say that complic.dll is not the one causing the error.

Now the question is, where did the "fixed" SUWIN.EXE come from? Somebody fixed it by replacing the code at that area with code from another build? Somebody found the original copy? My theory is SUWIN.EXE remained unchanged since build 89c and either build 89c or 89e got leaked at some point so the leaker simply took SUWIN.EXE from those builds to make the fix.

Here is the repacked ISO with fixed SUWIN.EXE: https://mega.nz/file/BMcm1KBS#2erepNPdp ... 67n3AJXx4I

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- ComputerHunter: Since the same group had both SUWIN.EXE's, my hypothesis is that the corruption occurred when transferring from one group member to another, the receiving memeber then packed and released it, and then on repacking for corrected release, they realized it's corrupted, and had the sending member then sent them the file again.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

SC-CHI01.ZIP  1459128  05-01-94  MICROSOFT CHICAGO APRIL BETA          [01/15]
This is 90c.

chicaprb.arj  Microsoft Chicago April 1994 release [Disk 1/14]
This is the first release of 89e.

CAPRB01.ZIP      1,558,760  04-14-1994  VIII/12  MS Chicago [Windows 4.0 /DOS 7.0] Beta [1/13]
This is a repack of CHICAPBR.ARJ with a working SUWIN.EXE included separately (same as the one in CHIC-FIX.ZIP, minus the extra padding bytes at the end).

CHICBET1 .ZIP 1,450,274  CHICAGO APRIL BETA 1/14
This could be either 89e, 90c or something else. Only listed on Playdoh 2 CD, which isn't available anywhere yet as far as I can tell.

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

Zheng He wrote:The "cracked" SUWIN.EXE might actually be original, while the "original" one is corrupted.

Compared to the "original" one, only offset 0x6FDC-0x6FFF is different. Decompiled in IDA Pro, I immediately noticed that the "original" one has meaningless ASM codes that cause "General Protection Fault" during installation.
You don't want to access FFFF:0000 under virtual 8086 mode right? Plus, that "call far ptr 2677h:37F8h" looks meaningless, too. The file size is far too small given the reference of code segment 2677h. I don't think Microsoft would, or the compiler/linker would, do things like this!
This actually looks like what imports look like before they are resolved. If the binary got corrupted in the code section, there's almost no chance of it not destroying the instruction opcodes, and so perfectly hitting the far call arguments.

Corruption could still be at play here, but maybe in the exe header instead? Or it could be a botched crack attempt. I'm just saying that your assumption that the "call far ptr"s are meaningless is incorrect.
Windows TEN - Totally Erroneous Numbering
Always watching you...