How to boot Windows Whistler build 2428 on current day

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
Meow

How to boot Windows Whistler build 2428 on current day

Post by Meow »

It's possible to boot Windows Whistler build 2428 on current day using only a registry edit.
1. Boot Whistler 2428 in safe mode command prompt only mode.
2. Open regedit and set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon,"Activation Required“ to 0
3. Log off and reboot.
4. Enjoy your whistler 2428 on current day :D Keep in mind that this method also disables activation, and that the timebomb is still active.
Last edited by Meow on Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Debombing Whistler 2428

Post by AlphaBeta »

...did you even keep the VM running for more than 10 minutes to see if the timebomb is truly disabled?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Meow

Post by Meow »

AlphaBeta wrote:...did you even keep the VM running for more than 10 minutes to see if the timebomb is truly disabled?
Yes, but an error popped up and said it was shutting down in 1 hour. But that was after I posted this. However you can still boot it up on current day and use some other software to fully disable it. I think I will change this to “How to boot windows whistler build 2428 on current day”

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Meow wrote:Yes, but an error popped up and said it was shutting down in 1 hour. But that was after I posted this. However you can still boot it up on current day and use some other software to fully disable it. I think I will change this to “How to boot windows whistler build 2428 on current day”
You can boot any NT build of Windows 8.1 or older past their expiration date... The timebomb is what delivers periodical reboots. What blocks booting on Windows 10 isn't even the timebomb but rather strongly enforced signature checks -- if you can't boot a 10 build, it's expired signature wise.

Meow

Post by Meow »

Lukas Marsik wrote:
Meow wrote:Yes, but an error popped up and said it was shutting down in 1 hour. But that was after I posted this. However you can still boot it up on current day and use some other software to fully disable it. I think I will change this to “How to boot windows whistler build 2428 on current day”
You can boot any NT build of Windows 8.1 or older past their expiration date... The timebomb is what delivers periodical reboots. What blocks booting on Windows 10 isn't even the timebomb but rather strongly enforced signature checks -- if you can't boot a 10 build, it's expired signature wise.
...This is about Windows Whistler 2428, not 8.1! And while technically yes the os boots it won’t let you log in unless you follow the steps that I have put.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Meow wrote:...This is about Windows Whistler 2428, not 8.1!
Lukas Marsik wrote:Windows 8.1 or older past

ftosorciM

Re: How to boot Windows Whistler build 2428 on current day

Post by ftosorciM »

I did that too via TweakNT and then AntiWPA/AntiWAT