Is it possible to port the Win 10 beta start menu to 8.1?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
BioMarkII

Is it possible to port the Win 10 beta start menu to 8.1?

Post by BioMarkII »

Recently I was wandering around with some old Windows 10 builds and I really liked the start menu in them. Is it possible to port to Windows 8.1?

Samuka

Re: Is it possible to port the Win 10 beta start menu to 8.1

Post by Samuka »

Well, possible, i think yes. However, you need solve new dependencies required by explorer, shell32, etc

Meow

Post by Meow »

BioMarkII wrote:Recently I was wandering around with some old Windows 10 builds and I really liked the start menu in them. Is it possible to port to Windows 8.1?

There are already posts about this. Go look at one.
Offtopic Comment
Posted on Windows 2000 SP4

com1337

Post by com1337 »

Meow wrote:
BioMarkII wrote:Recently I was wandering around with some old Windows 10 builds and I really liked the start menu in them. Is it possible to port to Windows 8.1?

There are already posts about this. Go look at one.
Offtopic Comment
Posted on Windows 2000 SP4
Mind linking one?
devpre
fan of windows vista
user of windows 8.1

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

Thanks everybody. I'll take a look into this.

yourepicfailure
Donator

If you give me a little time, I believe I may still have my notes on this when I was working on it for giansteen.

Off the top of my head, 9780 and 9785 are the candidates for x86 and 64-bit respectably. You would strip the certification from explorer with signtool. There were a few dlls that needed to be copied and replaced from the build, but were compatible with the target. In order to run explorer, since it is a system excecutable, you would need to boot with signature verification flag set through either bcd or at boot-time with f8 menu. You would also need to copy the related muis from the lang folders as well from the candidate build to run the copied executables.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

yourepicfailure wrote:If you give me a little time, I believe I may still have my notes on this when I was working on it for giansteen.

Off the top of my head, 9780 and 9785 are the candidates for x86 and 64-bit respectably. You would strip the certification from explorer with signtool. There were a few dlls that needed to be copied and replaced from the build, but were compatible with the target. In order to run explorer, since it is a system excecutable, you would need to boot with signature verification flag set through either bcd or at boot-time with f8 menu. You would also need to copy the related muis from the lang folders as well from the candidate build to run the copied executables.
I will definitely try that when I get some free time. Doesn't sound as challenging as I expected it to be.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Managed to find my old test VHD and notes on the subject.

The VHD was Windows 8.1 Pro, with Update 1.
The largest hurdle was the lack of exactly one function: IsShellManagedWindow inside of user32.dll.
One function in shell32.dll, and 4 from shcore.dll.

I never got around to stubbing the exe with IDA as I feared stubbing user32 would cause problems, even if it was just one function required.
A completely user-mode dll like shell32, not much fear. No, you can't simply copy over user32 either. Not without gutting and replacing much of the core executables such as ntdll, and in turn, ntoskrnl.
At that point it'd be better to just install 9785 in the first place.

Applegame12345

Post by Applegame12345 »

yourepicfailure wrote:Managed to find my old test VHD and notes on the subject.

The VHD was Windows 8.1 Pro, with Update 1.
The largest hurdle was the lack of exactly one function: IsShellManagedWindow inside of user32.dll.
One function in shell32.dll, and 4 from shcore.dll.

I never got around to stubbing the exe with IDA as I feared stubbing user32 would cause problems, even if it was just one function required.
A completely user-mode dll like shell32, not much fear. No, you can't simply copy over user32 either. Not without gutting and replacing much of the core executables such as ntdll, and in turn, ntoskrnl.
It is still worth trying though.
>>click here<< for some wiki editing

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

yourepicfailure wrote:I never got around to stubbing the exe with IDA as I feared stubbing user32 would cause problems, even if it was just one function required.
Food for thought: Might it be possible to use https://github.com/microsoft/Detours to work around that problem?

LiteOS

Post by LiteOS »

i dont think so
i did something similar, making windows server 2019 core with explorer from 2015 ltsb or server 2016 and others
and there same error when trying to run explorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyofz4XX_BU

Jake harrison

Post by Jake harrison »

I think the start menu is linked to the theme as well. I used the build 8400 theme on build 9785 and everything works exept the start menu refuses to open, the build 8400 theme works on every version of windows 8 including build 9200 & 9600.

LiteOS

Post by LiteOS »

Jake harrison wrote:I think the start menu is linked to the theme as well. I used the build 8400 theme on build 9785 and everything works exept the start menu refuses to open, the build 8400 theme works on every version of windows 8 including build 9200 & 9600.
which dll what the theme ?

LiteOS

Post by LiteOS »

Jake harrison wrote:I think the start menu is linked to the theme as well. I used the build 8400 theme on build 9785 and everything works exept the start menu refuses to open, the build 8400 theme works on every version of windows 8 including build 9200 & 9600.
which error msg u had when trying to run explorer.exe ?

Jake harrison

Post by Jake harrison »

LiteOS wrote:
which error msg u had when trying to run explorer.exe ?
When I ran explorer from build 9785 on windows 8.1 with the digital signature removed I got dll error 0x0000007b, and When I used the theme from build 8400 on build 9785 the start menu wont open at all but no error message. I think if we copy the theme from windows build 9785 to 8.1 and copy explorer with all its dependencys to 8.1 the start menu should work. heres a link to explorer from build 9785 with the digital signature removed "https://mega.nz/file/QE5mjQIA#67-oCnSfE ... BQR6zEhKY4" you must boot with driver verification removed tho.

LiteOS

Post by LiteOS »

the theme file is uxtheme.dll ?
or which method u used to find the dependencys dlls

ty that might be very helpful :)
making crossbreed windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyofz4XX_BU

yuuma

Re: Is it possible to port the Win 10 beta start menu to 8.1?

Post by yuuma »

I have gone through the files included in Windows RT update 3.
The following link has the paths to all the files needed to get the start menu working. These files are present in Windows 10 TP.
I haven't tested it yet, but it may give you a hint on how to port the start menu.
The signatures on the files are expired, so please run them with test mode enabled.

https://writening.net/page?tWgddT

EverythingeeB

Post by EverythingeeB »

yuuma wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:12 pm
I have gone through the files included in Windows RT update 3.
The following link has the paths to all the files needed to get the start menu working. These files are present in Windows 10 TP.
I haven't tested it yet, but it may give you a hint on how to port the start menu.
The signatures on the files are expired, so please run them with test mode enabled.

https://writening.net/page?tWgddT
That's a lot... hopefully someone can compile an image that has these files already copied.
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/everythingeeB
Discord: https://discord.gg/248eQ7N

Main Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 / Ryzen 5 4600H / 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz / 256GB SSD / 1TB HDD / GTX 1650Ti Max-P / EndeavourOS Linux
Retro PC/Server/Backup Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre M57 6072 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2 x 1GB DDR2 667Mhz / 200GB HDD / Radeon R5 240 / Arch Linux
Phone: Galaxy S3 (December 2017 - June 2019) / iPhone 5 (June 2019 - April 2020) / iPhone 6S (April 2020 - March 2022) / iPhone XS (March 2022 - Present)

Rukasumi

Post by Rukasumi »

uh so did anyone manage to make a easy way to add this?

williamWL

Post by williamWL »

I believe the start menu is associated with the theme. I applied the Build 8400 theme on Build 9785, and everything functions except the start menu, which doesn't open. The Build 8400 theme is compatible with every Windows 8 version, including Builds 9200 and 9600. pikashow

ActivateYourTech

Post by ActivateYourTech »

williamWL wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:10 am
I believe the start menu is associated with the theme. I applied the Build 8400 theme on Build 9785, and everything functions except the start menu, which doesn't open. The Build 8400 theme is compatible with every Windows 8 version, including Builds 9200 and 9600. pikashow
Did you need to patch UXtheme for it?
https://www.youtube.com/@techactivate781
I don't like Windows 10/11. I like (best to 4th best): 7, 8.1, Vista, and XP.
Cars I like: Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Aura, Tata Tiago, Suzuki Dzire, and Suzuki Ciaz
New Zealand should win the T20 wc this year! (sad after 2019...)