Memphis 1691 problem in VMware Player

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
mrjoey98

Memphis 1691 problem in VMware Player

Post by mrjoey98 »

Hey all,
Title says it all, really. Currently I'm working on migrating some of my virtual machines from Virtual PC to VMWare Player (of course, Windows 10 doesn't like Virtual PC 2007...) and I've run into a problem installing audio drivers for Memphis build 1691. I have another Windows 98 (RTM) virtual machine and while I was able to get the audio drivers up and running on there, I can't in Memphis 1691 without it blue-screening.
I've tried using the Creative AudioPCI drivers for Windows 98, but that would result in a BSoD every time. I also tried using the Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V drivers which usually work in Windows 95, but that didn't work either.

Any help? I'm honestly at a loss here. Thanks in advance!

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Re: Memphis 1691 problem in VMware Player

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

Don’t use VMWare, use 86-Box or PCem. They emulate the actual hardware rather than just saying your computer is that.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

AndreMor

Post by AndreMor »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:Don’t use VMWare, use 86-Box or PCem. They emulate the actual hardware rather than just saying your computer is that.
I recommend VMware only from Beta 2 and above, there I have tried and it works whenever you disable ACPI. Under Beta 1 I recommend VirtualBox, with ACPI disabled and Hyper-V virtualization mode. This is how I tried the betas.
mrjoey98 wrote:Hey all,
I've tried using the Creative AudioPCI drivers for Windows 98, but that would result in a BSoD every time. I also tried using the Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V drivers which usually work in Windows 95, but that didn't work either.
About the audio:

I recommend that you download VMware Tweaker. Search on Google.

Download it, open it and put the virtual machine to modify. Go to "Sound & Video", put "Change Sound Setting", "Custom Sound Configuration" and then "sb16 - Sound Blaster". Then check the two boxes below.

And that way you will have audio. Remember that after the configuration, you must install it on the Windows system. It comes included, just go to Control Panel.

TwilyDev

Post by TwilyDev »

AndreMor wrote:Under Beta 1 I recommend VirtualBox, with ACPI disabled and Hyper-V virtualization mode. This is how I tried the betas.
I don't really think Win9x needs Hyper-V... :o
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

...use 86-Box emulating these specs:
AMI WinBIOS 486
486 DX4 @100MHz
64MB of RAM
S3 Trio64
Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32

It’ll work much better than VMware, trust me.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

NorWIN

Post by NorWIN »

mrjoey98 wrote:Hey all,
Title says it all, really. Currently I'm working on migrating some of my virtual machines from Virtual PC to VMWare Player (of course, Windows 10 doesn't like Virtual PC 2007...) and I've run into a problem installing audio drivers for Memphis build 1691. I have another Windows 98 (RTM) virtual machine and while I was able to get the audio drivers up and running on there, I can't in Memphis 1691 without it blue-screening.

Any help? I'm honestly at a loss here. Thanks in advance!
Because VMWare uses same CPU that in your computer. But emulators can emulate every CPU. Old versions of Windows can't runs on modern CPUs. You need to use 86Box or PCem for use Windows Memphis build 1691.