Modded Mediaplayer 7.1 for NT4 (and Win95)

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Antz

Modded Mediaplayer 7.1 for NT4 (and Win95)

Post by Antz »

here it is , at this Time only in german,
but if there is Interest, a english Version is not with difficulty
http://antz.byethost12.com/WMP71nt4.exe
its still a 'RC', because I don't know if its run on Win95 properly
the Burn-Plugin is removed (who maked the Troubles), and all Errormessages seems to be fixed

this Mod based on a Hack from Eddie, Member of the old Osba, the Guy who makes NT5 (no 'Windows 2000's' in the whole OS),
so here you also cant find any '2000'

matiasbatero

Re: Modded Mediaplayer 7.1 for NT4 (and Win95)

Post by matiasbatero »

Screnshoots please!!! looks interesting!

spunker88

Post by spunker88 »

The original link appears to be dead, but I googled and found another.
http://home.arcor.de/danclenator/nt4/progs/WMP71nt4.exe

I managed to get this to work on my Windows 95 VPC even though I dont know any German:

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

It's not too difficult to install WMP 7 on 95 or NT4 - it will just say at the start of the installation that it's only officially supported for 98 and 2000, but it doesn't try to stop you from installing it:

Note that on NT4 you'll also need to reboot after installing, delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-0 87002BE10318} from the registry, then reboot again and search the registry for and delete all keys called "cdralw2k" or "cdr4_2K", otherwise you will get some errors.

The screenshot above has a strange icon in the About box so looks to be a hacked version - I just used the regular Microsoft download to be sure of having untouched files.

spunker88

Post by spunker88 »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:It's not too difficult to install WMP 7 on 95 or NT4 - it will just say at the start of the installation that it's only officially supported for 98 and 2000, but it doesn't try to stop you from installing it:

Note that on NT4 you'll also need to reboot after installing, delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-0 87002BE10318} from the registry, then reboot again and search the registry for and delete all keys called "cdralw2k" or "cdr4_2K", otherwise you will get some errors.

The screenshot above has a strange icon in the About box so looks to be a hacked version - I just used the regular Microsoft download to be sure of having untouched files.
Actually, i tried the WMP 7 installer from Microsoft on my 95 VPC and it unpacks the exe then says Im on an unsupported version of windows. I tried taking the files and manually placing them in the WMP folder, but then it says something about dlls being the wrong version, and that I need to redownload from the Microsoft website and refuses to open.

I should give it a retry with that REG key even though its from NT4.

LOL, i didnt even notice the icon, it looks like a little chicken.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

On my 95 it just looks like this when I run setup_wm.exe, which is the same as on NT 4 - I had the files already in a folder but they are definitely from MS, though I don't remember where exactly. I've got 95 C with IE 5.5 and Office 2000 installed which means it is the most up-to-date Windows 95 possible - is that also what you have?

I'm pretty sure the registry changes that I mentioned are only for NT 4, 95 doesn't seem to need them.

spunker88

Post by spunker88 »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:On my 95 it just looks like this when I run setup_wm.exe, which is the same as on NT 4 - I had the files already in a folder but they are definitely from MS, though I don't remember where exactly. I've got 95 C with IE 5.5 and Office 2000 installed which means it is the most up-to-date Windows 95 possible - is that also what you have?

I'm pretty sure the registry changes that I mentioned are only for NT 4, 95 doesn't seem to need them.
No im on a VPC image thats got some old stuff on it. I think it has IE 5.0 or something but i mainly use it for experimenting around with software. It does have a bunch of updates I think though.