Some message displays when I access BA?...

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
JonathonWyble

Some message displays when I access BA?...

Post by JonathonWyble »

Right, so this might be a little random, but since last night, when I've been visiting BetaArchive, I get this message saying that the site is checking my browser, and on the bottom, it says that the message is by a DDoS program. Is this new with the site? Or is it just something with my browser?

MCpillager12

Re: Some message displays when I access BA?...

Post by MCpillager12 »

Its something new with the site, got same thing.

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

JonathonWyble wrote:Right, so this might be a little random, but since last night, when I've been visiting BetaArchive, I get this message saying that the site is checking my browser, and on the bottom, it says that the message is by a DDoS program. Is this new with the site? Or is it just something with my browser?
It's Cloudflare's DDoS protection. Their service prevents DDoS attacks from being able to knock out a website, by checking the request first. If it sees it's not a browser request for a page, but just a "bogus" request to increase traffic, it rejects the request, meaning it never reaches the BetaArchive webserver, keeping it accessible. These often occur when the site is experiencing suspiciously high amounts of traffic, such as a DDoS attack.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

Yep, I just recognized the Cloudflare message at the bottom of the queue. It's likely a nice idea to prevent DDoS attacks when people visit websites, so maybe that was good thinking to have that feature. Not that it's a bad thing, but I guess those messages can sometimes be a little annoying at first, but I'll get used to it.
Thanks for the replies, I was just curious :)

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

JonathonWyble wrote:Yep, I just recognized the Cloudflare message at the bottom of the queue. It's likely a nice idea to prevent DDoS attacks when people visit websites, so maybe that was good thinking to have that feature. Not that it's a bad thing, but I guess those messages can sometimes be a little annoying at first, but I'll get used to it.
Thanks for the replies, I was just curious :)
They should go away if the source of high traffic goes away, unless it's manually turned on by the administrators.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The site was hit with a DDoS attack last night so I put cloudflare in place to mitigate it. Unfortunately some people are also having issues with the FTP IP lock showing an IPv6 address as cloudflare has IPv6 support by default (can't be turned off). If anyone has this issue if they let me know their IPv4 address I can manually override it.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

Andy wrote:The site was hit with a DDoS attack last night so I put cloudflare in place to mitigate it. Unfortunately some people are also having issues with the FTP IP lock showing an IPv6 address as cloudflare has IPv6 support by default (can't be turned off). If anyone has this issue if they let me know their IPv4 address I can manually override it.
That does make sense. I'm guessing that was just a 24-hour situation, because the Cloudflare message doesn't seem to occur when I visit this site anymore... so everything's good now ;)

Moline

Post by Moline »

JonathonWyble wrote:
Andy wrote:The site was hit with a DDoS attack last night so I put cloudflare in place to mitigate it. Unfortunately some people are also having issues with the FTP IP lock showing an IPv6 address as cloudflare has IPv6 support by default (can't be turned off). If anyone has this issue if they let me know their IPv4 address I can manually override it.
That does make sense. I'm guessing that was just a 24-hour situation, because the Cloudflare message doesn't seem to occur when I visit this site anymore... so everything's good now ;)
That would appear so. I've been lurking here the past couple of days and haven't had the CloudFlare message at all. I suspect it may be turned on again if we experience a traffic surge (whether it be good or bad).