VMware Tools 6.0 does not work on Windows 95

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
TheBetaFan18329

VMware Tools 6.0 does not work on Windows 95

Post by TheBetaFan18329 »

Hi, I installed Windows 95 on a virtual machine and I downloaded VMware Tools 6.0 from The Collection Book. I installed it and I installed the display driver and after I restarted, I got an error. Here is an image of the error: https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .85187.PNG

I am using VMware Workstation 14. Can someone find a way to fix this please?

win32

Re: VMware Tools 6.0 does not work on Windows 95

Post by win32 »

Set the VM hardware compatibility to "6" in its config file, or use the VMware tools supplied with Workstation 14. I don't think they have dropped support for 9x yet.
What is the name of the application software guaranteed to make your computer faster?

Quicken.

TheBetaFan18329

win32 wrote:Set the VM hardware compatibility to "6" in its config file, or use the VMware tools supplied with Workstation 14. I don't think they have dropped support for 9x yet.
I changed the VM’s hardware compatibility to 6 but when I turn it on, it crashes. :(

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Yeah, reducing VM compatibility level that much usually results in you having to re-install Windows, as the OS cannot cope with such "drastic" hardware changes (funny that Linux usually seems to have no problem with it though).

I'd suggest you use a more recent version of VMware and the corresponding tools. I run Win9x perfectly fine in Workstation 15 using its Tools version
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

TheBetaFan18329

Darkstar wrote:Yeah, reducing VM compatibility level that much usually results in you having to re-install Windows, as the OS cannot cope with such "drastic" hardware changes (funny that Linux usually seems to have no problem with it though).

I'd suggest you use a more recent version of VMware and the corresponding tools. I run Win9x perfectly fine in Workstation 15 using its Tools version
I upgraded to VMware Workstation 15 and the latest VMware Tools works! :D