Why is Microsoft Anna TTS voice low quality in WinXP 64-bit?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Beta12

Why is Microsoft Anna TTS voice low quality in WinXP 64-bit?

Post by Beta12 »

I installed MSTTSEngine.msi 2.1 from Microsoft Streets & Trips 2008 in WinXP 32-bit and this work OK - good quality.
I tried the same in WinXP 64-bit but the voice is of low quality - I tried in VMware Workstation 8 and on a real ThinkPad X220 machine with the same result :(
I also tried this MS-Anna_en-US.zip and there are some 64-bit files, but something does not work:
Anna's voice is on the list in the 64 and 32-bit control panel but after clicking Preview Voice there is a error:

win32

Re: Why is Microsoft Anna TTS voice low quality in WinXP 64-

Post by win32 »

Not sure, but this isn't the only example of an OS component having been gimped in terms of quality in XP x64. The x64 3D Space Cabet Pinball table looks real ugly compared to the x86 one. I know that they had significant trouble porting Pinball, though I'm not sure how that could affect the physical appearance of the table.

I guess they had difficultly porting the TTS component as well, and left it in such an odd state, probably due to the workstation components of what is really Windows Server 2003 x64 being an afterthought.

Does it work better in Vista x64?

Anyway, the second package you obtained appears to be for Windows 8 and up (even the CMD window references x86). Perhaps it's the same old API function dependency issue that makes it incompatible with kernel wrapper-less XP x64. Try running dependency walker on the DLL referenced in the error message.
What is the name of the application software guaranteed to make your computer faster?

Quicken.

TheROFL98

Post by TheROFL98 »

Try the installer which is located here: http://grossgang.com/tts/sapi_voices/Wi ... s_v1.1.exe
Just a dude that's interested in Text-To-Speech and other stuff.

Beta12

Post by Beta12 »

win32 wrote:Does it work better in Vista x64?
After all, in Vista, Anna's voice is by default, so how can it not work? (Microsoft text-to-speech voices)
I also wrote that in WinXP 32-bit voice works correctly. There is only a problem in the 64-bit version of WinXP.
P.S. Other voices such as Microsoft Mary, Microsoft Mike from Speech 5.1 English Engines work OK.

Beta12

Post by Beta12 »

TheROFL98 wrote:Try the installer which is located here: http://grossgang.com/tts/sapi_voices/Wi ... s_v1.1.exe
Installer require Win8:

TheROFL98

Post by TheROFL98 »

Beta12 wrote:
TheROFL98 wrote:Try the installer which is located here: http://grossgang.com/tts/sapi_voices/Wi ... s_v1.1.exe
Installer require Win8:
In that case try applying Anna as the default voice and open Speech Properties again.
Just a dude that's interested in Text-To-Speech and other stuff.