Windows inside Windows?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
PhantomONC

Windows inside Windows?

Post by PhantomONC »

I remember reading a while back about Windows/386 (and Windows 3.0/3.1 in 386 Enhanced Mode) and I think I remember that you could install real mode Windows in a lower resolution than the 386 Enhanced Mode Windows you were running and you could run the real mode Windows inside the 386 Windows. I've also heard with some work it was possible to run Windows 3.1 inside of Windows 95, so this is in a similar vein.

So would it be possible to run real mode Windows 1.0 or Windows 2.x inside of Windows/386 or Windows 3.1 (in 386 Enhanced Mode), and if so do any of you have any screenshots and descriptions of the experience?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Windows inside Windows?

Post by AlphaBeta »

Yes, this is very much possible. Of course mouse is not available and most likely it will be suspended in windowed mode because of too low available memory.

This is possible thanks to the virtual machine manager that is the cornerstone of Windows/386 and the 386 Enhanced mode of later Windows versions. The colors are distorted because of what I presume is a result of some strange palette conversion. This is the win86.com

All is fine in Windows 3.1 with much better display drivers.

You can even run real mode Windows from another real mode Windows instance. Windows 3.0 is able to detect this and tells you this when you attempt launch a DOS prompt from the nested instance:
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

OltScript131

Re: Windows inside Windows?

Post by OltScript131 »

And Windows 1.01 in Windows 95 ? :P