Longhorn 4074 Dell Vostro 1000 (AMD)

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
giantsteen
Donator

Longhorn 4074 Dell Vostro 1000 (AMD)

Post by giantsteen »

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to install Longhorn 4074 in various forms but to no avail on a Dell Vostro 1000. Here are the specs:

ATI RS480
ATI Radeon Xpress 1150, Core: 100 MHz, Memory: 400 MHz, up to 320MB Shared Memory
2 GB RAM
128 GB SSD

It installs Windows XP just fine and the PC is a Windows Vista OEM.

The issues I get:
-No bluescreen
-Will stop copying files or hang at setup
-If it gets past copying files, it boots with the Longhorn boot screen and then shows a black screen. No safe mode success.
-Error copying files
-External drive: CDBOOT mem overflow error

I've tried with the WIM and non-WIM versions of Longhorn. There is no indication (to my knowledge, at least) that this is a SATA issue.
I've tried Sigma OS, Longhorn Reloaded, the original 4074.

I have tried figuring out if it's a CD drive issue or something else, I've tried upgrading from the OS directly and using/booting from a USB (but I know Longhorn has trouble being installed via USB sometimes), I've tried also by upgrading from Windows XP but I am all out of options. What is the next step? What could be causing the error?

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Longhorn 4074 Dell Vostro 1000 (AMD)

Post by yourepicfailure »

Some sort of hardware problem.
Had very similar trouble with my dell XT and 4074. It would boot exactly once after installation, then on restart it would black screen. Except I managed to install off USB.

I believed at one point it was ACPI related. I managed to force boot it with standard hal but no matter what it would somehow find a way to detect and load acpi drivers and wind up at square one.

Try it with different included ntkrnl exes and hal dlls and see if that makes a difference. Standard pc hal (halstnd?) was the one that remotely worked for me. I left ntoskrnl asis.
If you can, rerun i386 setup set to standard pc.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

Ok so I've got as far as getting into safe mode, but when it tries to log on, it is stuck on the "Please wait" logon screen. But it DOES boot into safe mode and I can do a few things in there. What could be the problem here at logon?

Edit: I just let it sit and it LOADED!
Edit 2: Seems to be that the graphics does NOT like Longhorn. No luck with that. Looks like I'll be looking for a new laptop to try Longhorn on.

yourepicfailure
Donator

If you have to, do the kernel hex-edit to change to version 5.1, but you'll lose DCE...
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

yourepicfailure wrote:If you have to, do the kernel hex-edit to change to version 5.1, but you'll lose DCE...
I got everything to work, but the last thing is Sigmatel 92xx STAC audio. I feel like I've gotten it to work before...but I think 4074 has audio driver issues...man it's been a while since I've been doing this stuff and I feel like I have just forgotten it all.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Did you get the MSUAA patch loaded?

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

yourepicfailure wrote:Did you get the MSUAA patch loaded?
I seem to not have that patch on my drive, and the Microsoft link is down - used to collect Longhorn stuff - do you have a copy? That's probably my problem *hehe*

yourepicfailure
Donator

https://mega.nz/#!yCRCBKDa!10XVjRbdoaPT ... JpkLjMBRIM

You'll need to set csdversion for sp2. Sigmatel audio works fine once the patch is loaded.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

giantsteen wrote:The issues I get:
-No bluescreen
Were you meaning to say that your computer just stopped responding without a BSOD occurring? Because that can be a little concerning as Windows freezing usually results in a blue screen.

yourepicfailure
Donator

JonathonWyble wrote:as Windows freezing usually results in a blue screen.
Haha yeah no. Try running a ray-trace cpu render with a massive scene on a computer with low memory and use all your available threads. It'll completely freeze due to paging everything and cpu hogging but when the render is finished it'll come back. Whenever that'll be...

>giantsteen

Just in case, for the csdversion fix,

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]
"CSDVersion"=dword:00000200
Make this in a .reg file.

1000th post!

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

yourepicfailure wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:as Windows freezing usually results in a blue screen.
Haha yeah no. Try running a ray-trace cpu render with a massive scene on a computer with low memory and use all your available threads. It'll completely freeze due to paging everything and cpu hogging but when the render is finished it'll come back. Whenever that'll be...

>giantsteen

Just in case, for the csdversion fix,

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]
"CSDVersion"=dword:00000200
Make this in a .reg file.

1000th post!
I must've screwed something up earlier because it doesn't work and Longhorn won't let me uninstall the sounds drivers that I somehow "forced" earlier (keeps showing up as a codec??).

One of these days I will just reinstall and get something working. This Vostro is more trouble than it's worth and I am getting an Inspiron 6400 in a few days and I know it'll work fine on that. I just wish I could get Sigma OS 3.0 M6 up and running but it just will not boot on either DVD drive.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Sigmatel calls themselves a "codec" and so did IDT for some bizarre, confusing reason.

You have the exact same audio system as the one in my dell XT. The only way I "forced" those drivers was through the use of the msuaa which changed some unknown "PCI Device" listings to "High Definition Audio Device."
Afterwards they ran perfectly fine when updated them.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

yourepicfailure wrote:Sigmatel calls themselves a "codec" and so did IDT for some bizarre, confusing reason.

You have the exact same audio system as the one in my dell XT. The only way I "forced" those drivers was through the use of the msuaa which changed some unknown "PCI Device" listings to "High Definition Audio Device."
Afterwards they ran perfectly fine when updated them.
I did what you said but nothing is changing to High Definition Audio Device. I am very unsure of how to go about this further. The MSUAA installed fine but I have no way of knowing if anything is working lol.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Alright, my mistake. I also sent you the wrong msuaa patch as well. Here's the revised, proper version:

https://mega.nz/#!2LYHkYIZ!JVWDrFXyHNH5 ... kshyppqahs

Here's a picture book tutorial on getting it done, and what to expect along the way. I get that it's not 4074, but it's the same regardless the pre-reset build. I apologize in advance if the guide below sounds a little childish tone, but I didn't want to write out another boring and bland tutorial.

You start with this. Some random PCI device you know who it's for. You can find no driver for it that works and hours of troubleshooting later you still don't have audio.

Let's begin by applying the given reg.

Make sure you run the patch under xp compatibility mode or it's not going to work.

Assuming you did the above two steps right, opening the exe will give you this:

Go through the wizard and you get this happy message at the end~

Oh ho no, we're not through yet!

If you'll notice back in devmgmt that funny pci device has now jumped down to system devices.

Now we update it.

For some reason, Windows doesn't know where it put the msuaa files.

Psst, they're in systemdrive\windows\system32\drivers!

Yay! Now Windows can interact with the HD audio bus.

Wait, what's this? Now we have new audio devices detected in place of that PCI device thing.

Now install audio drivers, probably one or two are for audio out from graphics card or other audio out-capable devices.

I think you already know how to update drivers so I won't explain that part.

???

Profit.

Hope this helps!

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

Thank you!! <3 I knew I wasn't crazy when it wouldn't work. I had to tinker around with it quite a bit, your tutorial helped. However in my case it never stayed a PCI Bus. It somehow just appeared as the HD Audio. Then I installed an older driver from Sigmatel, which seemed to have worked. The sound worked when I ejected my USB drive. However, now my computer shows a BSOD every time it boots. Sigh. I can't ever win, can I.