What will you do when Windows 7 hits eol?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
DobaMuffin

What will you do when Windows 7 hits eol?

Post by DobaMuffin »

I am wondering what everyone here will do when Windows 7 hits eol. Are you going to finally upgrade to Windows 10? Install Linux instead? Live life on the edge and keep Windows 7 installed and connected to the internet? Personally I don't know what I'm going to do.

Lucas Brooks

Re: What will you do when Windows 7 hits eol?

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I will do nothing, I am using Windows 10.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Gosh, I upgraded from Windows 2000 last year.

ZhengXiaoAi

Post by ZhengXiaoAi »

Well there're three operating systems on my PC:Windows 10,Windows Embedded POSReady 7 and Ubuntu.
In order to get a one-year extra support,I installed Windows Embedded POSReady 7 instead of the normal version of Windows 7.
The reason that I installed this NT 6.1 OS is for the stability.
When the life cycle ends,I will upgrade it to a NT 6.3 OS,maybe Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Embedded 8.1.
I apologize for my grammatical error if it exists, because English is not my primary language.
----------------------------------------
Nothing happen so far,'cause who wants to get burned by the ice? ------ Colder Than Ice by Grant Miller

viper
Donator

Post by viper »

I have Win7 installed on a special 60GB SSD that I never use to access the internet & I don't use that partition much.
It has Premiere Pro on it & really don't need it much now days.

DragonWars

Post by DragonWars »

I'll keep using Windows 7 untill the last version of Chrome that supports it becomes obsolete...
should take a while

nar002

Post by nar002 »

What's the difference between POS Ready and Win7? Other than the name, is it lighter?

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I'm triple booting three different versions of Windows in my PC: Windows 7, Windows 8.x (the OS that came with my PC) and Windows 10. I'm keeping Windows 7, but will use it only for offline purposes, like playing games and using Office 2010.

SebOno

Post by SebOno »

I will keep upgrading through Windows 10 builds. That's what I'll do.
Last edited by SebOno on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user has left BetaArchive.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Wake up, drink coffee and eat breakfast, go to work and continue on my life going "hmph" when I see news about it pop up in a clickbait spot.
DragonWars wrote:I'll keep using Windows 7 untill the last version of Chrome that supports it becomes obsolete...
Knowing google and how they want everyone on the latest, they will probably drop Windows 7 a few months in advance. Like what they did to Vista, a year+ in advance.
I seriously don't know why everyone thinks of chrome as "the browser god."
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

yourepicfailure wrote:Knowing google and how they want everyone on the latest, they will probably drop Windows 7 a few months in advance. Like what they did to Vista, a year+ in advance.
IDK, 7 is more comparable to XP in market share than Vista. They'll probably support it at least a year from eol.

DragonWars

Post by DragonWars »

yourepicfailure wrote:Wake up, drink coffee and eat breakfast, go to work and continue on my life going "hmph" when I see news about it pop up in a clickbait spot.
DragonWars wrote:I'll keep using Windows 7 untill the last version of Chrome that supports it becomes obsolete...
Knowing google and how they want everyone on the latest, they will probably drop Windows 7 a few months in advance. Like what they did to Vista, a year+ in advance.
Chrome support ended for XP in late 2015, and xp eol-ed in april 2014

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

No, because Microsoft and other companies will launch another "Get off Windows *** Now" campaign like they did with Xp. After all Microsoft has clearly stated they don't want another Xp-like eol. In addition the campaign to get 10 on all capable machines.
I also mentioned Vista, not Xp. Even though Vista had a low share, there was no reason to drop it early.

And remember the strings pulled to ensure pre-10 os receives limited support on new platforms.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

DragonWars wrote:Chrome support ended for XP in late 2015, and xp eol-ed in april 2014
That's right! I also remember seeing that type of note back when I used Windows Vista as one of my main OSes; in Chrome, it would say this when I opened it:
This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported.
Microsoft just had to end support for Google Chrome in Vista way before Vista's end of support 8-)

JustAnyone

Post by JustAnyone »

Well if I remember correctly, windows xp should not receive updates anymore but for some reason it does, so I think same will be with windows 7 (I wish it will because this is my most favorite windows version). Anyways i will install w10 someday only because of UWP apps like forza horizon 3 or 4.

WILSON2bGg
Donator

Post by WILSON2bGg »

I could care less about Windows 7 going out of support as I have since moved to Windows 8.1 or 10.
Hey what's up

DobaMuffin

Post by DobaMuffin »

yourepicfailure wrote:No, because Microsoft and other companies will launch another "Get off Windows *** Now" campaign like they did with Xp. After all Microsoft has clearly stated they don't want another Xp-like eol. In addition the campaign to get 10 on all capable machines.
That would be nice. I'd probably see about upgrading if that's the case.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

My pc is dual booting 7 and 10. I use 7 as my main and 10 as my backup
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

How is Windows 7's End of Life a big deal? Now everybody is on Windows 7. I prefer up to date with the newest version so I am on Windows 10 1809 now. My office use Windows 10 and also have a few Server 2016&2012 machines.

I don't see the reason to keep using Windows 7.

DragonWars

Post by DragonWars »

ComputerHunter wrote:
performance and ui

tjd2

Post by tjd2 »

DragonWars wrote:
ComputerHunter wrote:
performance and ui
Windows 10 does not like old hard drives (my personal experience)
New install is extremely sluggish and i'm too lazy to try to optimize it, so i just install windows 7/windows 8 there.

I trash picked HP Probook 4510s and it was unusable with windows 10, but pretty usable with windows 7.

Also my cousin's pc is pretty slow on windows 10 (also new install) and he has Athlon II X3 and 5gb RAM. Hard drive is constantly being used by something.

TL;DR - Windows 10 is slow on computers without SSD. Windows 7 is fine.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I use Windows 10 for my new laptop and desktop, no problems. I love using Microsoft account plus OneDrive. With Windows 10, you can use the sync feature and use virtual desktop.

If you have old hardware, Windows XP is the best option.

I see no reason to use Windows 7 and it is just Vista's brother. Microsoft doesn't want users to use Windows 7 now andif Windows 7 is relly that good, then Microsoft would extend the support for free and ditch Windows 10.

As I said, new computers runs Windows 10 just fine and Windows XP is for old computers. Windows 7 uses more resources than XP. Uers should really move on with the development of Windows and technology.

DragonWars

Post by DragonWars »

ComputerHunter wrote: I see no reason to use Windows 7 and it is just Vista's brother. Microsoft doesn't want users to use Windows 7 now andif Windows 7 is relly that good, then Microsoft would extend the support for free and ditch Windows 10.
no they would not, they still need to make money, and they do it with windows 10
ComputerHunter wrote: As I said, new computers runs Windows 10 just fine and Windows XP is for old computers. Windows 7 uses more resources than XP. Uers should really move on with the development of Windows and technology.
and 10 uses more resources than both of them, combined.
i personally use windows 7 on i7 6700 and 32gb ram because im not a big fan of windows 8 ui and windows 10 is way too bloated for daily use

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Core i7 with 32GB RAM? I use a 2GB RAM 2006 computer (can't remember the CPU) with Windows 10 and it runs pretty fast. If you have i5 with more than 4GB RAM, that is seriously a good spec for normal work. My company uses Windows 10 and Server 2016 for most computers and they runs fast on 4GB RAM.

To me, Windows 7's EOL doesn't affect everyone. Not many companies still use Windows 7 or Server 2008.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

tjd2 wrote:
DragonWars wrote:
ComputerHunter wrote:
performance and ui
Windows 10 does not like old hard drives (my personal experience)
New install is extremely sluggish and i'm too lazy to try to optimize it, so i just install windows 7/windows 8 there.

I trash picked HP Probook 4510s and it was unusable with windows 10, but pretty usable with windows 7.

Also my cousin's pc is pretty slow on windows 10 (also new install) and he has Athlon II X3 and 5gb RAM. Hard drive is constantly being used by something.

TL;DR - Windows 10 is slow on computers without SSD. Windows 7 is fine.
Get a SSD, it will boot in only ~10s!