BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 2h, 40m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 5863MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:34 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01? I've ever heard this sound in Aqwert76's Windows Never Released videos, but this is claimed to be Windows 1.01 startup sound

Other:
Fake/incorrect Windows Startup & Shutdown Sounds
Everything You Need to Know About Windows Startup and Shutdown Sounds (NO COPYING)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:39 am 

Favourite OS
Michael Jackson's OS
No, it's probably a modified Windows 95 startup sound.

Last edited by Michael Jackson on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 50 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition
No, Windows 3.1 was the 1st version of Windows to have a startup sound.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:23 am 
FTP Access

It does not exist. Why watching Windows Never Released videos, 80% of version shown there is fake and the sound is fake as well. People make fake startup sound all the time...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
ComputerHunter wrote:
It does not exist. Why watching Windows Never Released videos, 80% of version shown there is fake and the sound is fake as well. People make fake startup sound all the time...

I'm not saying anything from WNR is real. I'm talking about the sound from one of it that claimed to be used in a real OS.

Other:
Everything You Need to Know About Windows Startup and Shutdown Sounds (NO COPYING)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
WILSON2bGg wrote:

Actually, first version to have sounds is Multimedia Extensions for Windows 3.0, but most of people haven't heard of it.

Other:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
Unless it's supposed to be the sound of a floppy drive, it is not real. Windows 1 has no sound.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm 
Donator

YueLing11 wrote:
WILSON2bGg wrote:

Actually, first version to have sounds is Multimedia Extensions for Windows 3.0, but most of people haven't heard of it.

Why did you ask whether that sound is real in the first place if you know that sounds haven't been introduced until mwin3.0?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:19 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
AlphaBeta wrote:
YueLing11 wrote:
WILSON2bGg wrote:

Why did you ask whether that sound is real in the first place if you know that sounds haven't been introduced until mwin3.0?

Someone claimed it's only in some countries

Other:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The only sound that Windows 1.0 itself makes (at least AFAIK), is the beep when you click on a disabled area, e.g. outside of a dialog.

You can of course write applications that make use of the PC speaker or even MIDI devices, but the system itself is largely silent.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
It also tends to beep when you're running it on a too recent version of DOS. But that video is still fake, as Windows 1.x doesn't have any kind of WAV playback implemented...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 am 
FTP Access

YueLing11 wrote:
Someone claimed it's only in some countries

Judging from the comment section of that video, that someone does not even seem to know which countries that startup sound was released or heard in. Here is an excerpt of that discussion (names omitted for obvious reasons):

YouTube wrote:
>user 1: You get this startup sound in some countries´╗┐
>user 2: Which ones?
>user 1: idk

To be clear, half of the comments consist of some dude claiming Windows 1.0x did not have pre-installed sound drivers (with zero mention of where to download them) and possibly another one making the aforementioned claim of country exclusivity - neither of which sound plausible at all considering there are no sound files present in any Windows 1.0x installation I used before.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The standard SOUND.DRV driver that's included with most releases supports the usual PC speaker, but as said above, the OS itself makes very little use of it. It is available for applications to use, but it's the same story here, aside from Opus Composer (a simple sound editing program which supports MIDI output in the full paid version but only PC speaker in shareware version) and maybe a few demo/hobby/freeware programs, it doesn't seem like many apps made use of it either.

The Tandy 2000 driver disk includes a different SOUND.DRV that also supports the 1000's sound chip (SN76496 or equivalent) with 3 voices, but apps had to manually make use of that too, and I've yet to see a Tandy 2000/1000-specific Windows 1.0 application anyway.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Does this sound exist in Windows 1.01?        Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:46 am 
FTP Access

Out of topic and the answer to the question is NO, there is no start up sound in Windows 1.x (in any country) and the one from YouTube is fake. You can have sound in Windows 1.x is you have the hardware and drive but there is no startup sound like post-Windows 3.x.

Top  Profile