Very early Luna in Whistler 2257?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
razvangabriel82

Very early Luna in Whistler 2257?

Post by razvangabriel82 »

Hey guys!
A few days ago I was playing with some Whistler builds, and I found in taskbar setting of the build 2257 a quite interesting picture. It doesn't really look like any of the Whistler builds that we have seen (so far), and i have noticed that it looks quite a bit like the final Luna theme (rounded corners and a blue taskbar). Also, IIRC, I have only seen this picture in the Personal build of Whistler 2257 (could this be caused by the fact that Luna was supposed to be for the casual users, and Watercolor for the more "professional" scenarios?)
Anyways, enough talking, here is the bmp that I extracted...
(hopefully the image shows up. In case it doesn't, here is the link to the image)
https://imgur.com/a/hWImYb0

Overdoze

Re: Very early Luna in Whistler 2257?

Post by Overdoze »

This isn't exactly a new discovery, and besides, it looks more like a mix of Watercolor and Sample Test Visual Style to me, than Luna.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

razvangabriel82

Post by razvangabriel82 »

I haven't seen any topic regarding this discovery on the forum, so I thought it might be a new thing. Also, my association with the Luna theme was because it uses a lot of blue (like Luna) and also the rounded appearance of the Start button resembled the Luna design.
Also, could it be that Watercolor was always intended to be a placeholder (just like Plex was in Longhorn), while Microsoft was designing the new experience?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Yes, as Overdoze said, this seems to be more related to the Sample Test Visual Style from early Beta 2 builds. I have recently dived into the early Whistler themes, so I hope I can shed some light on it.

First of all, the 2257 screenshot. Take a closer look at the buttons, there is no known build that includes this exact style of power buttons, so this makes me believe this is not a real screenshot but a concept. The icons in the left Start menu pane also look different, thought this could be just artifacting. Also the ellipse-shaped Start button and the rest of the taskbar looks nothing like what we've seen in Luna and I said before, reminds me much more of the sample style. Compare it with 2419:
ImageImage

This all makes sense when you take a look at some antitrust documents from the Whistler era. The Whistler roadmap from February 2000 mentions that a skin set was planned to be finished by the end of April:

The "pro" look was Watercolor and, believe it or not, the sample theme actually seems to be its consumer counterpart. It also is the Mallard theme that Raymond Chen described as a decoy theme that the visual styles pretended to work on while they had been working secretly on Luna. From what we have seen in the theme files, it seems that it was around already in July 2000, which is between builds 2250 and 2257, so it's quite possible that Mallard was light blue at the time and only later changed to the colorful mess that we got with 241x builds.

There is some more detailed information in an article that I started writing, which I hope to expand over time. You might want to check it out.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

AlphaBeta wrote: The icons in the left Start menu pane also look different, thought this could be just artifacting.
One thing that makes me think that it's a concept is the Office icons; Office 2K and XP have both always used flat icons, even in the beta period (when Office 10, aka XP was being developed)

But I'm sure that the picture may likely be from a real OS; RTM XP, for example, has the pictures derived from 2465, where the "new Luna" is applied, but the Win2K taskbar icons (volume, USB) are still left intact
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

bit offtopic but...

mmm 1 thing caught my eye to interest
usually all what is known of Odyssey is that it never went "past drawing board"
but that PDF has one line saying:
However, from our work on Neptune, Odyssey, and other projects, we have great ideas and
plans we can build from
does that kinda points to a possible existing builds ?

LilShootDawg

Post by LilShootDawg »

LuLu wrote:bit offtopic but...

mmm 1 thing caught my eye to interest
usually all what is known of Odyssey is that it never went "past drawing board"
but that PDF has one line saying:
However, from our work on Neptune, Odyssey, and other projects, we have great ideas and
plans we can build from
No. They thought up ideas for Odyssey so that's the ideas that they can build from.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

LuLu wrote:
plans we can build from
I doubt there were any builds compiled, but that doesn't mean they didn't brainstorm or make some skunkworks projects for stuff planned for Odyssey.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!