Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpapers

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Lucas Brooks

Re: Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpapers

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Windows XP Starter Edition Vietnamese wallpaper list:
The recovered list of wallpapers from the image:
Hinh ve 1
Mau
Những chiếc thuyền
Thung Lũng Mai Châu
Vịnh Hạ Long
Translated meaning:
Picture 1
Ca Mau
The boats
Mai Chau District
Ha Long Bay
I can't understand Vietnamese so I don't know if it is accurate or not. Just some information.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Pack 2 (02 MAR 2019)

Download Link: Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Collection (03-02-2019).rar
It contains all Windows XP Starter Edition wallpapers currently available. This is based on Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Pack 1 with much more wallpapers added and updated. If you have Wallpaper Pack 1, please use this one as it is more up to date.

In this wallpaper pack, wallpapers from 23 countries were named accordingly. Files cloth1.png (flag used in 3D Flag Screen Saver) and spiral.png (spiral image used in Image Spiral Screen Saver) were added as well. For some countries, the wallpaper might not be original but they are all edited by me to from the original screenshot hosted on the Microsoft website so it should be almost exactly the same as original ones.

The wallpapers found online do not have the same quality as my wallpapers and they are badly edited, so if you want original wallpapers, download it from here. All wallpapers online are in 1024x768 JPG format which is different from the original 800x600 BMP format used by Microsoft. They are mostly edited using Photoshop with the Spot Healing Brush and Clone Stamp from bad quality screenshots.

The folder _Uncategorized is for wallpaper that came from a different version of Windows XP Starter Edition without any other information except for country name available.

Note: For some countries, the wallpaper might not be named properly and missing several images. This is because that version of Starter Edition is no where to be found and no information on names and other wallpapers on the internet.

Enjoy this release,
ComputerHunter

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Pack 3 (10 MAR 2019)

Download Link: Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Collection (03-10-2019).rar
It contains all Windows XP Starter Edition wallpapers currently available.

In this wallpaper pack, wallpapers from 25 countries were named accordingly. Files sidebar_med1.jpg and sidebar_wide1.jpg (used by My Support) were added. The images from English Generic Version were also added as a reference. Most importantly, the file Information.htm was added to provide a detailed description of the originality, quality and accuracy (how accurate is it from the original) of the images in my archive.

Note: For some wallpapers, you might see some white areas at the bottom. It is caused by the taskbar in the screenshots which I cannot fix. It is just about 30 pixels and when you are setting it as a wallpaper, your taskbar will just cover the white area up. I did not stretch it out like what I did with previous wallpaper packs because by stretching it, the image will be out of proportion.

Enjoy this release,
ComputerHunter

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Pack 4 (02 APR 2019)

Download Link: Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Collection (04-02-2019).rar
It contains all Windows XP Starter Edition wallpapers currently available.

In this wallpaper pack, wallpapers from 25 countries were named accordingly. Some wallpapers were updated in this release and the file Information.htm was updated.

The stock photos where those wallpapers came form was added and it did take ma a long time to get that sorted. Make sure you check them out and if you see any incorrect links, report it to me and I will fix it up. Also, not every link will work because they were removed years ago and there is not captured versions of them. For some images that are on both Corbis and Getty Images, the links of Getty Images will be used because it is still online.

Enjoy this release,
ComputerHunter

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

Some of the wallpapers here that have Corbis links instead of Getty links (such as Rio_de_Paraguay and St_Basils_and_Kremlin.bmp) are actually on Getty Images, it's just that Tineye hasn't indexed them yet. My spreadsheet of wallpaper origins has those links under the XP Starter Edition section.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Well, I will change them... Did you find Getty Images or Corbis links for the one highlighted in orange?

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

Parque_Nacional_los_Glaciares.bmp? I didn't find a Corbis link for that (which I know came from Corbis based on the HTML file supplied with Spanish XP Starter). Other than the Visualphotos one, I did find F1online and SuperStock links. If I did, it would be on my spreadsheet.
Last edited by Longesthorn on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

What a shame... Corbis was dead years ago and looks like we will never know where this came from.
Last edited by Lucas Brooks on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

I guess Corbis and VCG never transferred the photographer's contract over to Getty Images, or the photographer took their photos down at some point before the acquisition. Unless the photographer somehow comes along and identifies themselves as the photographer of it, we'll never know who took it or the backstory of it.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

@ComputerHunter. Have ye thought of putting in the files to run the screen savers. They are non-standard, and it would go to complete the pack.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

os2fan2 wrote:@ComputerHunter. Have ye thought of putting in the files to run the screen savers. They are non-standard, and it would go to complete the pack.
What? I can't understand you. I already put cloth1.png and spiral.png in, I might put the registry entries in the next release. What do you mean by non-standard?

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

ComputerHunter wrote:
os2fan2 wrote:@ComputerHunter. Have ye thought of putting in the files to run the screen savers. They are non-standard, and it would go to complete the pack.
What? I can't understand you. I already put cloth1.png and spiral.png in, I might put the registry entries in the next release. What do you mean by non-standard?
I think os2fan2 was asking if you were going to create some screensavers for XP Starter. Maybe create .scr (screensaver) files to make animated screensavers...

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

JonathonWyble wrote:I think os2fan2 was asking if you were going to create some screensavers for XP Starter. Maybe create .scr (screensaver) files to make animated screensavers...
Want me to make screensavers? Well, my Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Pack is only for original stuff, or as original as they can be. os2fan2 might be asking for the two screensaver executable to be included (if that is right, I will think about it).

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The files in question are 3dflag.scr, ediskeer.dll and sspirals.dll. Just include them in a separate directory.

It seems wherever you run the file from, the files are first found in registry, so i imagine either a reg file or run these on a 'copy over' basis, and use the same location for all versions.

I'm thinking of including the full set of these in the wallpaper2 update. That one is more set about for localised wallpapers etc.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

OK, but sspirals.dll does not exist.
The screensavers have exactly same functions, but in different languages. I currently have only English, Spanish, Russian, Turkish and Portuguese.

ediskeer.dll is useless because it can not be copied over to another version of Windows XP Starter Edition or it will cause BSoD upon logon, so I am not adding it (also, the banner and watermark are exactly the same).
os2fan2 wrote:It seems wherever you run the file from, the files are first found in registry, so i imagine either a reg file or run these on a 'copy over' basis, and use the same location for all versions.
I am not sure what you mean. There are a few registry entries for the screensavers telling them which PNG to use and what background colour to have. Those varies for different regions and countries, so I could include them (if I can sort out all the mess).

What I am planning to do is add all the wallpapers and images to an installer, so you could choose the country you want, press install and it will do all the work for you. It should also have the function to extract those images for collectors.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

ComputerHunter wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:I think os2fan2 was asking if you were going to create some screensavers for XP Starter. Maybe create .scr (screensaver) files to make animated screensavers...
Want me to make screensavers? Well, my Windows XP Starter Edition Wallpaper Pack is only for original stuff, or as original as they can be. os2fan2 might be asking for the two screensaver executable to be included (if that is right, I will think about it).
I guess that's what I could be saying. But I'm sure Windows XP Starter Edition already has good looking screensavers, but it could also be a good idea to have some more good screensavers just for kicks. So yeah, if you want to make screensavers for XP Starter, then sure, give it a shot.
Don't know what software you could use to make .scr files, but something like this is used to test a screensaver:

Code: Select all

ScreenSaver.scr /s
Runs the screensaver

ScreenSaver.scr /p or /l <HWND>
Previews the screensaver as a child of the window. <HWND>, presented as unsigned decimal number is an identifier of the window in which to appear preview.

ScreenSaver.scr /c
Shows the Settings dialog box, modal to the foreground window.

ScreenSaver.scr /a <HWND>
Changes the password, modal to the window <HWND>

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

With 3Dflag.scr, it is relatively easy to change the flag flown, by selecting a new flag.

I can't seem to get ssspiral.scr to choose any other file other than the generic version one.

I suppose that if you plan to include the screen savers, it would be useful that people could reconfigure these. I can't see where it picks up the picture name. It needs directx 8 or so.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

[Locale.Install.AddReg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","StarterSDB",0x00020000,"sdbinst -q %SystemRoot%\AppPatch\starter.sdb"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ClothFlag","DefFlag",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ClothFlag","DefBgnd",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ClothFlag","DefBgndCol",0x00010001,0x000482FB
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ClothFlag\Content1","TextureFile",0x00020000,"%windir%\system32\Cloth1.png"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ClothFlag\Content1","Type",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ArtisanSpiral","DefMode",0x00010001,2
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ArtisanSpiral","DefCol",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Screensavers\ArtisanSpiral","TextureFile",0x00020000,"%windir%\system32\Spiral.png"
Does that help? I could add screensavers but I don't really think it worth it. I might get the reg file done by next week and I could update my wallpaper pack.
Last edited by Lucas Brooks on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

You can easily reset the clothflag through its setup menu, but spirals has no such setting.

I suppose something like this might do the trick.

reg add hklm\software\microsoft\Screensavers\ArtisanSpiral /f /v Texturefile /d spiral.png
As long as the png is in the same directory as ssspirals, it should do the trick. I've tried it out.

Given that people are using vista and later too, it probably would just do to copy the ssspirals to somewhare (it doesn't have to be in the windir tree: my usual screensaver lives on a different drive), and simply to copy the file to some designated directory.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

I know we're having fun talking about making screensavers for Windows XP Starter Edition (I'll admit that it was my fault for starting that discussion), but we should get back to what this thread is about, which is us collecting wallpapers for XP Starter Edition. Maybe we could start a new topic on making XP Starter screensavers (if we want to continue doing that).