Where is Windows XP still used as of December 2018?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
AaronReturn2004

Where is Windows XP still used as of December 2018?

Post by AaronReturn2004 »

A pet grooming service is located in the base of a former hairdresser (that shut down in early 2015) in Banks, Canberra. I've seen the computer screens, and they oddly use Windows XP Professional in the way that make me feel nostalgic (No wallpaper and old-fashioned login screen turned on). Odd enough since they opened around 2016-2017.

So i'm giving the question to you in tribute of the thread where my first post was: Where have you seen Windows XP lately?
Last edited by AaronReturn2004 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludacris
Donator

Re: Where is Windows XP still used as of December 2018?

Post by Ludacris »

I've recently setup Windows XP on an old Thinkpad. We use that Laptop to program radios at the red cross.

LilShootDawg

Post by LilShootDawg »

The army still uses MS-DOS.

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

I still see it a lot in China.

Immigration just upgraded to 7, but the office is still xp
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

I see labs using machines with XP and older to run specialized equipment. Some have been running 24/7 for over 20 years!

YourAverageJoe

Post by YourAverageJoe »

AaronReturn2004 wrote:A pet grooming service is located in the base of a former hairdresser (that shut down in early 2015) in Banks, Canberra. I've seen the computer screens, and they oddly use Windows XP Professional in the way that make me feel nostalgic (No wallpaper and old-fashioned login screen turned on). Odd enough since they opened around 2016-2017.

So i'm giving the question to you in tribute of the thread where my first post was: Where have you seen Windows XP lately?
I remember finding a dog tag engraver that ran on Windows 3.1, so anything is possible lmao
hOI!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!!!

Brave

Post by Brave »

the army still uses DOS on a commodore 64 and 4.5 inch floppies to store code on. which is really cool.

theonegoofali

Post by theonegoofali »

In Russia, in the part of Moscow that I come from, there are still plenty of XP ATMs running, mainly QIWI terminals, but there's also a shop that still runs XP to manage the items, their prices and other stuff.

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

The buses in Germany use Windows XP for their displays. I only found out because one of those displays was stuck in a reboot loop so you could see "Windows XP Logging off..." "Windows XP Logging on..." and then the desktop with some applications running.

n1v3k

Post by n1v3k »

Here in Venezuela is the main OS at our offices (Registries and Notaries), It is still used for two reasons:
1. Hardware, 80% of the Computers are HP/Compaq with P4 and 512MB of RAM with original XP License.
2. The main application they use was written in .NET framework 1, that's why we haven't migrated to Linux.

tjd2

Post by tjd2 »

Can't Mono run it? it's just .net 1, so it should work

HexagonWin

Post by HexagonWin »

Most of the big markets on south korea uses win xp!

oldcollector

Post by oldcollector »

Well, here I haven't seen a lot of PCs that still use XP. Most use Windows 7 for what I could see.

camp90

Post by camp90 »

2 places:

- At my uncle's company in Argentina, for accounting purposes only.
- In my house, as my main PC. I got tired of dealing with Windows 7.

FatPigeon

Post by FatPigeon »

I still dualboot it with Windows 10.

win32

Post by win32 »

A server (airgapped, likely file/print) at my mother's office is running on Windows XP.

I also continue to run it on a Dell OptiPlex 745, because I have a composite to USB video capture device that only has drivers for XP/Vista/7 x86, receiving POSready updates. It does introduce a few quirks like a bit of explorer instability and difficulty completing a shutdown, but I'll keep it until at least the end of support.
What is the name of the application software guaranteed to make your computer faster?

Quicken.

Kohlman3695

Post by Kohlman3695 »

Just reloaded XP on my Asus EeePC 1101ha. Was running windows 10 on it with mixed results before

aaaaalex

Post by aaaaalex »

In Spain, Renfe Operadora (the train national service) still uses Windows 2000 Professional for their ticket machines, although they're replacing them with newer machines... that use Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.
And in Cercanías (commuter/suburban rail) the LCD displays inside the trains that indicate information use XP (probably XP Embedded) on a PC running on a 700 MHz Celeron processor (sometimes I saw the POST indicating a SMART error).

And they use mostly Windows 10 on their newest screens on some stations...

needbetabulidsfast

Post by needbetabulidsfast »

In the planes that they use to go into hurricanes, because of the screensaver (look at weather channel replays)
And, weirdly enough, I saw it once recently at airport security.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

In my heart *hehe* .

No really now, my school still uses Windows XP on the elementary class computers with a dualboot alongside Windows 7, since most of the software they use is incompatible with anything after Windows XP.
Other computers in the school though, almost all of them run Windows 7 (interesting thing is that they use a modded version and not the original for some reason), and some (but they're very few) use Windows 10 Education.
Offtopic Comment
The reason they don't use Windows 10: Telmetry (on Pro editions), forced updates, hardware and software incompatibility, ads, shall I go on?
Forced updates are really a trouble though, since the limited and slow (about 2Mbps delivered to each computer) bandwidth is really quickly drained out.
Interesting fact, most computers in my area in the business side still use XP (like cashiers and such), even though the support has ended.

hinatahyuuga
Donator

Post by hinatahyuuga »

On ITER project

ImageImage

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

ATeamInc wrote:In my heart *hehe* .

No really now, my school still uses Windows XP on the elementary class computers with a dualboot alongside Windows 7, since most of the software they use is incompatible with anything after Windows XP.
Other computers in the school though, almost all of them run Windows 7 (interesting thing is that they use a modded version and not the original for some reason), and some (but they're very few) use Windows 10 Education.
Offtopic Comment
The reason they don't use Windows 10: Telmetry (on Pro editions), forced updates, hardware and software incompatibility, ads, shall I go on?
Forced updates are really a trouble though, since the limited and slow (about 2Mbps delivered to each computer) bandwidth is really quickly drained out.
Interesting fact, most computers in my area in the business side still use XP (like cashiers and such), even though the support has ended.
POSReady2009's support is not ended yet

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

roytam1 wrote:POSReady2009's support is not ended yet
But POSReady 2009 ≠ XP, POSReady is used for embedded systems, and this case (why though?) they use plain old XP.

iProgramInCpp

Post by iProgramInCpp »

In some people's old computers, since they can't run anything new.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

ATeamInc wrote:
roytam1 wrote:POSReady2009's support is not ended yet
But POSReady 2009 ≠ XP, POSReady is used for embedded systems, and this case (why though?) they use plain old XP.
I doubt if you can distinguish POSReady and regular XP by looking at title bar only.