MS-DOS 6.22

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
KNN

MS-DOS 6.22

Post by KNN »

Hi there

I couldn't find such topic here so I want to create a new.

Since MS-DOS 6.22 was one of most interesting things to me back in 90's (and sometimes still is if it comes about emulation), because it is known it allows to run Windows 3.xx without modding.

One a little awkward thing back then was the short list of supported languages which, which also was quite unclear due to rumours.

My question is following:

How many languages it really supports? Some people claimed about polish version, even I thought I once had such for a moment (can't remember well) so I can't be certainty sure.

Can anything be proved in that matter?

Thanks for any help
God made man, but Internet made them equal

gtgamer468

Re: MS-DOS 6.22

Post by gtgamer468 »

There might not be much languages other than Western languages like English, French, and German and a handful of other languages that might be supported like Simplified Chinese and Japanese.

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

Well there's Microsoft's own website which claims MS-DOS 6.22 was released in the following languages:

Arabic, Chinese-Simplified, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese-Portugal, Portuguese-Brazilian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai-Enabled

There was certainly also DOS/V in Japanese (dunno why it's excluded from the list).

aaaaalex

Post by aaaaalex »

3155ffGd wrote:Well there's Microsoft's own website which claims MS-DOS 6.22 was released in the following languages:

Arabic, Chinese-Simplified, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese-Portugal, Portuguese-Brazilian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai-Enabled

There was certainly also DOS/V in Japanese (dunno why it's excluded from the list).
It seems that that site is not 100% accurate; for example, Windows 3.1 is available in Catalan and in that page doesn't seem to appear...

condor.07
Permanently Banned

Post by condor.07 »

On eBay, a user sells all the latest versions of MS-DOS in every language in a single CD-ROM
Almost all versions MS-DOS 6.22 (Brazilian, Chinese Simplified, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai)
Japanese and Korean language latest version MS-DOS 6.20
Arabic, Hebrew and Russian language latest version MS-DOS 5.00

https://www.ebay.it/sch/winmystyle/m.ht ... 7675.l2562
MS-DOS + WINDOWS 3.1x + TOOLS | CD-ROM | MULTI LANGUAGE

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

condor.07 wrote:On eBay, a user sells all the latest versions of MS-DOS in every language in a single CD-ROM
Almost all versions MS-DOS 6.22 (Brazilian, Chinese Simplified, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai)
Japanese and Korean language latest version MS-DOS 6.20
Arabic, Hebrew and Russian language latest version MS-DOS 5.00

https://www.ebay.it/sch/winmystyle/m.ht ... 7675.l2562
MS-DOS + WINDOWS 3.1x + TOOLS | CD-ROM | MULTI LANGUAGE
It's probably this:

https://www.betaarchive.com/database/vi ... 6ffb1f8c0b

KNN

Post by KNN »

Thank you for all your helpful replies, I know MS website was not so accurate so I didn't mention it.
God made man, but Internet made them equal

yuhong

Post by yuhong »

What is especially interesting is MS-DOS 6.21. The OEM versions was released as soon as the injunction in the Stac case arrived, but the upgrade versions was a different story and might be English-only.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

There is very little difference between msdos 6.22 and msdos 6.20. In the research for my msdos 6.30, when the version check are set equal, the only difference is in the files io.sys, command.com and sys.com. Even msdos.sys is identical. For 6.20 to 6.21, the only difference is command.com. Command.com 6.21 returns "version %verhi%.21" so if it runs under winnt it returns 5.21. This is different to 4.01 command.com, which returns %verhi%.%verlo%+1, so under nt, it comes back with 5.51.

The main difference is that 6.22 supports dblspace, while 6.20 supports drvspace. Sys.com differs only in copying that file if present, while io.sys and command.com are more different.

The main difference between these dos versions and 6.30, is that the latter returns 6.30 on DOS calls (it's a two-byte value set in io.sys), while the utilities have had the version-check removed (in pc-dos 7 style).

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

os2fan wrote:The main difference is that 6.22 supports dblspace, while 6.20 supports drvspace.
It's the other way around - 6.20 has DoubleSpace, 6.22 has DriveSpace.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

In the day, they were known collectively as Dagspace. The reason they released scandisk was so that people could repair the dreadful mess it made of the fixed disk. In turn, scandisk becomes scabdisk. I mainly used staker for os/2 and dos. Such was life in the trenches back then.

Thanks, anyway. The files in the build are correct, just my memmory isn't.