Was there any French release for Longhorn ?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
ShadixAced

Was there any French release for Longhorn ?

Post by ShadixAced »

Hello everyone (long time no see !),

I wanted to know if there was, released or not, an French release of Windows Longhorn (any build).

Thanks in advance,
S.A.

Releases done so far : 21
Member of Microsoft France's House of Fans (^^)

Windows Thunderstruck

Re: Was there any French release for Longhorn ?

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

There aren't any leaked foreign language builds for pre-reset Longhorn.

BF10

Post by BF10 »

A lot of leaked post-reset builds have international languages. I think it was started with 5384.4, but I'm sure that there are unleaked foreign language builds for earlier builds. It's sad pre-reset Longhorn has no foreign language releases though.

BetaWiki contributor.

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

BF10 wrote:A lot of leaked post-reset builds have international languages. I think it was started with 5384.4, but I'm sure that there are unleaked foreign language builds for earlier builds. It's sad pre-reset Longhorn has no foreign language releases though.
It did ? How can I put the French language in those post-reset builds ?

EDIT : They aren't universal builds though... ouch. There's no French build lurking around in the net, it's an pity...
S.A.

Applegame12345

Post by Applegame12345 »

ShadixAced wrote:
BF10 wrote:A lot of leaked post-reset builds have international languages. I think it was started with 5384.4, but I'm sure that there are unleaked foreign language builds for earlier builds. It's sad pre-reset Longhorn has no foreign language releases though.
It did ? How can I put the French language in those post-reset builds ?

EDIT : They aren't universal builds though... ouch. There's no French build lurking around in the net, it's an pity...
You can install any language pack from Vista RTM on any build of Vista starting from 5758
For example, Russian language pack for Vista RTM running on 5758, 5824 and 5840.16389
5758: Image
5824: Image
5840.16389: Image
>>click here<< for some wiki editing

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

Ooooh, that's interesting then, I did not know that. Thanks for informing me about it !
S.A.

BF10

Post by BF10 »

I was thinking of that as well, although builds starting with 5384.4 has builds that installs a language pack (none of them are French though). If there is any lost international build of Windows Longhorn (especially 4074 or any pre-reset build) that has yet to be found, it'd be an interesting find.

BetaWiki contributor.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Do not the Longhorn builds use the .mui files? Those that can be used to translate the app without hardcoding the language like in XP and earlier

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:Do not the Longhorn builds use the .mui files? Those that can be used to translate the app without hardcoding the language like in XP and earlier
Yes, .mui files were quite an early improvement in Longhorn.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

Welp, i need to find specifically the LH MUI's if they exist. I only have found cab files, that were referring to older or newer version of Windows.
S.A.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

They probably don't exist. but the point of this mention, is that technically you could take other MUI files like the english ones, and replace the strings into your language (Basically, translating the OS by yourself, but in an easy way)

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

I can, yeah. Since I have a *quite* good knowledge of the English language I *on't have much problems translating :)
S.A.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

ShadixAced wrote:I can, yeah. Since I have a *quite* good knowledge of the English language I *on't have much problems translating :)
But what you might have a problem with is time. There are countless strings to translate, and it gets tiring very quickly. Trust me, I know. Additionally, not every string is in mui files, IIRC a lot of the .net shell part strings are hardcoded, which adds difficulty to the already tedious process. Additionally you might also need to edit dialogs and other parts of the UI to fit longer strings correctly.

I'm afraid it's simply not worth the effort for such a niche market.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?