[REQUEST] Microsoft MS-DOS 4.0 (NOT 4.01!) on 3.5'' Disks

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
ibmpcat5170

[REQUEST] Microsoft MS-DOS 4.0 (NOT 4.01!) on 3.5'' Disks

Post by ibmpcat5170 »

The version I'm requesting seems to be extremely rare,
but had a slightly lower disk count than its 5.25'' counterpart.
My most wanted abandonwares from original media are:
  • MMPM/2 1.0 (Int'l Business Machines Corp.·1992) {Multimedia Extensions for OS/2 2.0}
  • Microsoft Video for Windows 1.1 (Microsoft Corp.·1993) {Multimedia Extensions for Windows 3.1}
  • Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Client build 511 (Microsoft Corp.·1993) {Operating System}

Whoever has any of these, please contribute them.
Thank you all for taking your time to read my signature!

DiskingRound

Re: [REQUEST] Microsoft MS-DOS 4.0 (NOT 4.01!) on 3.5'' Disk

Post by DiskingRound »

Sampo OEM apparently is missing disk 6, but I'm not sure if it is even supposed to have that disk...
It's similar to the whole Windows 1.00/1.01 thing. Quickly replaced by .01 due to a bug, and the original version (.00) is mega rare.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

DiskingRound wrote:It's similar to the whole Windows 1.00/1.01 thing. Quickly replaced by .01 due to a bug, and the original version (.00) is mega rare.
And I thought that was a false story... There was this memory management bug found after Premiere, which delayed the release of the RTM, but the 1.00 story was most likely nothing more than a rumor. I am convinced that there wasn't any bug that would cause files to get deleted on a dir/p listing and they certainly wouldn't ship a release with broken keyboard drivers either.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

There is no evidence for Windows 1.00, just rumors from people who failed to provide any evidence. The first release was compiled on the 14th November 1985, mastered on the 15th, and released in stores on the 20th. And that's 1.01.

As far as DOS 4.00 goes, this is actually confirmed to exist, we even have one copy, but since it was quickly replaced by 4.01 and because DOS 4.x was overall not very popular, it's very rare these days.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Apparently Premiere Edition was made to distribute to some places, similar to the Mac OS X Public Beta. My guess is a major memory bug was found in bug fixing and it had to be rewritten so much and to not confuse it was better to just put 1.01 instead of 1.00.

I think there is a copy of 4.00 3.5" floating around though. There is that strange 4.10.20...

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

DiskingRound wrote:Apparently Premiere Edition was made to distribute to some places, similar to the Mac OS X Public Beta. My guess is a major memory bug was found in bug fixing and it had to be rewritten so much and to not confuse it was better to just put 1.01 instead of 1.00.
But the Premiere Edition was just a fancy name for a beta release that they provided to key application vendors, analysts and members of the press to receive some feedback. It never was a general public release (why the heck would they publicly distribute an incomplete beta?). And who would get confused if 1.00 most likely never existed in the first place?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

ibmpcat5170

Post by ibmpcat5170 »

DiskingRound wrote:Apparently Premiere Edition was made to distribute to some places, similar to the Mac OS X Public Beta. My guess is a major memory bug was found in bug fixing and it had to be rewritten so much and to not confuse it was better to just put 1.01 instead of 1.00.

I think there is a copy of 4.00 3.5" floating around though. There is that strange 4.10.20...
So, you may have MS-DOS 4.00 in 3.5'' disks!
Isn't that great?
My most wanted abandonwares from original media are:
  • MMPM/2 1.0 (Int'l Business Machines Corp.·1992) {Multimedia Extensions for OS/2 2.0}
  • Microsoft Video for Windows 1.1 (Microsoft Corp.·1993) {Multimedia Extensions for Windows 3.1}
  • Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Client build 511 (Microsoft Corp.·1993) {Operating System}

Whoever has any of these, please contribute them.
Thank you all for taking your time to read my signature!

yuhong

Post by yuhong »

As a side note, I wonder about the multiple versions of DOS 4.01:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sy ... s_Q-poEWQJ